SEVEN DEADLY SINS?

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:40 am
A few weeks ago, in a fit of "hee-hee," i started seven threads, entitled Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth, Wrath and Pride. The responses were modest in number, but i think people gave honest answers--honest in that they expressed their true feelings on those topics.

I was mostly amusing myself, but i'm not totally unconscious when i do these things. I noticed that many people equivocated on the topics, that these things might be bad if done excessively, but that a little pride (for example) is not a bad thing, that we might all occassionally lose our temper, that gorging on one's favorite ice cream now and again is harmless, etc.

Do you think that this is moral relativism, examples of situational ethics? Would that be a bad thing? Are there moral absolutes, injunctions on our behavior from which there is not reasonable appeal? Is a contention of "deadly sin" a form of irrational moral absolutism, or a standard to which all ought aspire? How do you feel about the more general concept?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:13 am
Personally, I think it is a dumb-ass term. I've sinned plenty and I'm still....aauuugh!! <thump>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:34 am
Cav ? . . .

Cav ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:35 am
Phew...just a mild coronary....I ate some beef jerky and feel much better now. Maybe I should start sinning more, leave the wife to pay the debts.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:39 am
Now, if you want a serious answer, I think that unless one is born feral, some sense of morality will be instilled in you from an early age. Even a heroin addict probably gives the "Son, don't turn out like me" speech in brief moments of clarity. I believe in a universal morality, which can be taught without the spectre of religion. Religion makes it easy for people, which stops them from thinking, and that to me is a deadly sin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:41 am
Good one, Boss . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:46 am
I think that each of those "deadly sins" is a fine thing in reasonable amounts.

How about the Seven Heavenly Virtues? Shall we give them equal time?

Faith
Hope
Charity
Fortitude
Justice
Temperance
Prudence
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:49 am
Actually, Mac, you stole my thunder. When this particular teapot tempest had run its course, i intended to start seven threads on the virtues . . . now you've gone and spoiled all my fun . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:55 am
Well, while it's here then....I find that intemperance helps to convince one that all the others are indeed virtues. Let's take charity for example. When you come home stinking drunk from a bachelor party or something, and flip on the TV, and see one of those Christian Children's Fund commercials, you are far more likely to get emotional and call them up to make a pledge than if you were sober, thinking, "I'm watching Sienfeld and really don't want to be bothered with this depressing crap."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:56 am
Faith: Comes while bending over the toilet with the "Please god, please....just let me live, and I promise I'll believe in you...."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:57 am
I'll think of more, I'm sure. Feel free to discuss seriously though, if you want. Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:05 am
Whoops! Sorry Setanta! I could edit that out if you'd like...I guess it was imprudent of me to think that you hadn't considered the big picture. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:07 am
No problem, Mac, i'm glad you brought it up. Those ideas in seven separate thread likely wouldn't have had much impact, nor gotten much response. Beside that, Cav is having a ball with the ideas already.

Hope . . . maybe i can sneak in and sleep it off before the wife finds out . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:09 am
Justice and Fortitude: I'm drunk enough to forget my inhibitions and intoxicatingly strong enough to save that woman from that gunman. Once more into the breach mates!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:28 pm
I don't think it's relativism, it's just proof that the "seven deadly sins" are not so deadly after all. Besides, anything in excess is bad. Water in excess will kill you, but you need it to live. Everyone needs a healthy amount of pride, greed, gluttony, and the rest, as well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:47 pm
Well, I'm thinking of starting an online busisiness on letter of indulgence.

So I'll follow this thread with special interest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:50 pm
I'm sorry, Walter, but i frown on simony being practiced in my threads . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:50 pm
Free trial version - 30 days limited:
http://www.museumonline.at/2000/mieming/deutsch/bilder/siegel2_klein.jpg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 03:51 pm
Simony says...buy my crap. What's wrong kids? Oh, just do the vicar a "favour" in the "rectory", he'll buy it for you.
0 Replies