songs you're a little embarrassed to admit you like

mismi

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:01 pm
@aidan,
That is a fine song. I love Take a Bow. I also love the Backstreet Boys...no, I don't tell too many people that. But I love bubblegum pop.

I like this one too...truly embarrassed about it...

but Nickel Creek and Sara Bareilles covered it...so that makes me feel better.
aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@mismi,
I love pop too.. if it has a melody and I can sing to it - that's the end of the story:
even though Jimmy Buffet is not usually my cup of tea - I LOVE this song - mostly because I have fun singing harmony to it - Martina McBride is awesome! The message is alright too

aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:45 pm
@aidan,
'Yes I'll make a resolution - that I'll never make another one - Just enjoy this trip around the sun...'

yes! That's my motto for life.
('except I don't know who really wrote it - Martina McBride or Jimmy Buffet - I hope it's Martina because she has the most amazingly strong female voice and aside from this song - Jimmy Buffet annoys me).
mismi

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:00 pm
@aidan,
Here's another one I love...

aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
@aidan,
Oh wait - I think it's more that'

I'm just hangin on while this old world keeps spinning and it's good to know it's out of my control - if there's one thing that I've learned from all this living - it's that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go

Janet is a survivor - I love her if only for that.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 02:29 pm
@mismi,
I love that one too, mismi. But I'm not embarrassed. Janet is fabulous.
mismi

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 02:31 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Well...I am used to being ribbed for my chick music. Smile I think she is too.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:29 pm
Steve Balsamo and ERic Woolfson, "Immortal"

Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick, "I haven't Told Her"

Il Divo, "Noches de Blanco Saten"

Andrea Boccelli and Bryn Terfil, "Au Fond du Temple du Saint"

Ten Tenors, "Lady Marmelade"

Alfred Drake and Patricia Morrison, "Wunderbar"

Robert Marien and Bridget Marchand, "Fantome de l'Opera"

How is that for schlock???!!! Abandon all pride, ye, who enter YouTube to listen to these selections!
plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Poor Scott! He was something of a . . . . . . . I just can't write it!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:33 pm
@boomerang,
Meatloaf was in the Detroit production of Hair.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:39 pm
Ooh! Ooh! (while we are dealing with schlock, imagine Office Toody on Car 54 Where Are You?) I forgot my fav schlock . . . Celtic Thunder singing Ireland's Call.
aidan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 03:25 am
@plainoldme,
I love celtic thunder too - I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I love them so much that I'm going to see them with my sister and my mother the next time she (my sister) can get tickets to it when I'm home. My sister Laura and I had to find something my mother would like to listen to as we drove her around and we tried this - and she'd (my mother ) would say, 'This is the most beautiful music I've ever heard" over and over.
We come by it honestly though - my mother was a Cameron and my paternal grandfather's name was Phineas O'Hearne.

This is my favorite song of theirs - schlock is the right word for the presentation - but oh the harmony. It just gets me. I might have to request this to be played at my funeral. Funny, the other song I want played for sure is 'Into the Mystic' by another great Irishman - Van Morrison- (he's cool enough though in most people's eyes that I won't have to be embarrassed about that choice)
Laughing

plainoldme

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 10:19 am
@aidan,
There was some controversy over whether they were singing or lipsynching. Phil Coulter is one of Ireland's great schlockmasters.

Phineas O'Hearne! That's Irish!
0 Replies

kolapskybernetes

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:33 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojJXp1kmD-c

Milli Vanilli! :/

the disturbing dance steps partly contributes to my fixation!
*ooh oohh ohh <slanting star-shift move, left-right-left-right!> * i looove eeweee!
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:33 am
@kolapskybernetes,
I have a soft spot in my heart for Milli Vanilli - and THIS guy - even though his politics bug the crap out of me:

aidan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 03:21 pm
@aidan,
I feel like a traitor, but I LOVE this song and laugh at it at least once a day0(it's on my daughter's ipod - she's promised to put it on mine) and it just seems wrong for me to do that - but the lyrics are so clever- NO, I don't think the situation is FUNNY - but I have to hand it to Kanye for his sense of humor and telling it like it is here:
'He got that ambition baby look at his eyes - this week moppin' floors next week he's on fries- so stick by his side...'
I also like the music and jamie foxx's vocals.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-3943106
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:31 pm
I love this song, though I don't really like Dolly Parton's voice as a rule - I do always like her melodies though. I found this cd of classic country duets my dad had and I found myself listening to this track - the first- over and over again - because it was so fun to sing harmony to. And now I know that Dolly Parton's middle name is Rebecca - wow!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:45 pm
@plainoldme,
I once played Bocelli's Romanza cd just about to death. It was when I moved from LA to northern California, leaving my beloved house and finding myself in a rental that was sold three weeks after I moved in. Don't get me started. But, my good bye party from the girlfriend group had one of them putting a new cd, Bocelli, on while the cooking was going on. By that time in my life I was open to opera but also had well developed fondness for Italy and its popular music, such as I knew at all. So, when I got up north I bought the cd and played it nice and loud in my strange rental house in a town I'd only been to once before and only knew one person. That was all a while ago, but I still have the cd and play it once every year or two.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 04:09 am
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 04:24 am
I love the harmonies in this song - heard it on the radio the other day. It's a little overwrought - but I love their two voices together.