aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:44 pm
@Swimpy,
I love this one the best by them- my older sister had the album:

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:47 pm
@boomerang,
I was just talking to this guy about Dolly Parton - picture this suave Englishman in the David Niven mold and he's SMITTEN with Dolly Parton. On his last trip to America - he went to Dollywood and loved it!!! I just started laughing - he's like, 'What, how can you not like Dolly Parton? She's one of your national treasures!'
Hmmm, yeah, okay...I like the songs she chooses for their melodies and I think she actually is a good songwriter, but I'm always a little embarrassed to admit I like her too - I guess I don't have to be anymore though.
aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:50 pm
@msolga,
Believe it or not, I went to a Meatloaf tribute band retrospective. I like three songs by him - the ones I hate by him - I hate. But the ones I love - I LOVE...

This one, I think uses his voice and its sometimes over the top emotional drama to its advantage:
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:02 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I was just talking to this guy about Dolly Parton - picture this suave Englishman in the David Niven mold and he's SMITTEN with Dolly Parton. On his last trip to America - he went to Dollywood and loved it!!! I just started laughing - he's like, 'What, how can you not like Dolly Parton? She's one of your national treasures!'
Hmmm, yeah, okay...I like the songs she chooses for their melodies and I think she actually is a good songwriter, but I'm always a little embarrassed to admit I like her too - I guess I don't have to be anymore though.
That 's a great image: David Niven and Dolly Parton as a pair.

David
aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Exactly - it was so surprising and really endearing.
aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:10 pm
@aidan,
The Meatloaf song that I'm the most embarrassed to admit that I LOVE - not even just like - LOVE- (it always makes me laugh and brings back good memories)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
"Mandy" by Barry Manilow.

I see you and I raise you:
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 05:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
They're great - what a sweet voice. Do the kids play the instruments for real?
The talented kids are part of why I love this song (and this movie)- I'm only embarrassed about it because I have to admit I like Jack Black too- what a goof:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:07 pm
@Ionus,
I'm not embarrassed to like KISS... just that one song.
Ionus

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Never mind edgar. The average throughout history and for different cultures is women were married by 14 and pregnant by 16. Given that half the population died as children and only a small percentage made it past 40, plus the number of women who died in childbirth and men in wars, both sexes from disease, we wouldnt be here otherwise. 16 yr old girls looked good when I was 16. What has changed ? Simply it is in a 16 yr olds best interest if she ties up with someone closer to her own age now that we live longer.
aidan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 04:00 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I AM embarrassed to like the Backstreet Boys - but I have to admit I had some fun and laughs to these songs (roller skating was involved), and I have a special place in my heart for them:

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 06:46 pm
@Ionus,
rollin rollin...gee my butt's a-swollen
Ionus

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:37 pm
@panzade,
Did you ever hear McRawhide ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMDuRZBnnw
panzade

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:54 pm
@Ionus,
that's a hoot. thanks
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:56 pm
@Ionus,
Could that high child death rate have been due to marrying at 14 and having children at 16?
Ionus

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:01 pm
@roger,
I am not aware of any problems that a healthy 14 year old would have that they might not have if they got pregnant at a later date. Once past weening, usually 1-3 years old in the past, an individual is on their own with their own chances of surviving.
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:33 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I am not aware of any problems that a healthy 14 year old would have that they might not have if they got pregnant at a later date. Once past weening, usually 1-3 years old in the past, an individual is on their own with their own chances of surviving.

What's posted below is only the abstract - you have to buy the article.
Quote:
This article describes eight years of experience in a teenage antepartum clinic at Kings County Hospital Center. A retrospective survey of data collected from January 1968 to December 1975 regarding the pregnancy performance of 884 teenage patients is compared with the remaining obstetrical population for 1973. Results of the study showed that young patients differed significantly from the general population in that uterine dysfunction, contracted pelvis, toxemia and anemia occurred more frequently among the teenagers.

This means that carrying the pregnancy to term and the actual act of labor and bearing a child is harder for teenagers in that their pelvises are generally narrower and pregnancy seems to place more stress on their hormonal and blood chemistries which are in major flux for a young adolescent girl. And given that teenage girls today develop sexual maturity earlier - it's probable that physically a fourteen year old girl a few hundred years ago was more comparable in development to an eleven or twelve year old girl today (due to better nutrition and higher fat content in diets, etc).
Quote:
The incidence of prematurity and perinatal loss was lower.

If they made it through pregnancy and childbirth however - the babies seemed to fare even better than the babies of their older counterparts.

But when has this ever been true?
Quote:
Once past weening, usually 1-3 years old in the past, an individual is on their own with their own chances of surviving.

Another song I'm a little embarrassed to like, but I do:
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:41 pm
@aidan,
and I'm still enjoying rediscovering the Backstreet Boys:
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 02:22 pm
@aidan,
Which reminds me of someone else I'm embarrassed to admit I like- Madonna -

Her album, 'Something to Remember' is one of my favorite driving records- when I first heard this song I was like, 'Who is this girl with the beautiful voice - and then I was SHOCKED to learn it was Madonna.

this is a great album to sing to.
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 03:52 pm
@aidan,