Are you or do you know any helicopter parents?

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
helicopter parents tire me.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:31 pm
@littlek,
Since you're a teacher I can imagine that you bear the brunt of all that kinetic parenting energy.
littlek

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
too. tired.to.respond.
littlek

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:33 pm
@littlek,
Pfft. No I'm not. It's what I vent about most in relation to my job.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:19 pm
@littlek,
Helicopter Parents from Hell Ordered by Court to Quit Stalking Their Daughter
http://gawker.com/5971524
boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Holy cow!

Those people need a hobby.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:17 pm
the April Atlantic has a great piece on the benefits of free range parenting, I highly recommend it. `Best paragraph

Quote:
But the real cultural shift will have to come from parents. There is a big difference between avoiding major hazards and making every decision with the primary goal of optimizing child safety (or enrichment, or happiness). We can no more create the perfect environment for our children then we can create perfect children. To believe otherwise is a delusion, and a harmful one; remind yourself of that every time the panic rises

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Another piece in the April Atlantic talks about how there is precious little evidence that high level of parental participation in our kids academic life helps to create a better outcome. I figured as much long ago, and was considered a neglectful parent when I told the school that the problem they were calling about with my high schooler was my kids problem to solve not mine. In the last few years it has become "manditory" for a parent to come to quarterly parent teacher conferences. I was always WTF about them, I dont do conferences after grade 8. I do go to the freshmen intake program where the school personnel yak to parents and kids about the "new adventure" of high school, and that is my last involvement with my kids school directly. From then on I look at report cards, write checks and talk to my kid only.

I had to do a couple of these "mandatory" meetings because my wife was in Iraq..... I went, told them that I was "here" as demanded and had no desire to hear anything that they had to say, and stated I intended to now leave. The duty was said to be fulfilled.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 07:27 pm
I read this today and it made me think of this thread:

Most kids would freak out if they were separated from their parents in a busy city like New York—but not Chris Villavicencio.

Quote:
The 9-year-old, who was reported missing on Saturday, told the Daily News it was "the greatest day" of his young life.

Chris was at the Central Park Zoo with his sister, mom, and dad when he became lost and wandered the city for two hours, trying to retrace his steps. The boy meandered through Times Square and eventually ended up at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, where police officers found him and gave him yogurt.

"This was the greatest day of my life, because this was the first day I was at the police station!" Chris, of Union City, N.J., told the Daily News.

The family was reunited at the bus terminal.
0 Replies