TV Sound Problems

JPB

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:53 pm
We have a console TV that is about 15 years old. All of a sudden the sound has gone wacko. Some channels are fine - perfect sound. Some channels have switched over to Spanish. Yesterday TNT was broadcasting in English but there was a narrator's voice in the background describing the scene (i.e., "Jack McCoy stands up from the table and walks towards the door.") during Law & Order when that's exactly what was happening on the screen. Today TNT is in Spanish.

Today's Green Bay/Detroit football game on Fox had stadium sound. We could here the refs, the crowd, and the PA announcer but we didn't have any sound from the booth (play-by-play, etc.). The 2nd game (Dallas/Oakland) on CBS has no sound at all.

Not surprisingly, all channels have sound for commercials.

The sound on the TV in the upstairs bedroom is fine. English where it's supposed to be English, no narrators describing the scene, football announcers in the booth.

Both TVs are on cable (no converter boxes). Unfortunately, the upstairs TV is too big to lug downstairs to try it on a different cable connection.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I don't want to call the cable company out here if it's my old TV but it seems strange that the TV would all of a sudden have different languages on different channels and sound on some channels but not others (or partial sound).

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,222 • Replies: 6

View best answer, chosen by JPB
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 07:50 pm
@JPB,
Are you using surround sound?
Intrepid

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:46 pm
@JPB,
Has the audio been inadvertently changed to SAP?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:53 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Are you using surround sound?

No

Intrepid wrote:

Has the audio been inadvertently changed to SAP?

Possibly. When I hit the "display" button that shows up on some channels but most channels now say "no info". What's SAP? More importantly, how do I get rid of it?
Intrepid
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@JPB,
SAP is Secondary Audio Programming. You usually set it on your TV with the remote control audio button. You usually have Stereo, SAP and Mono
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:55 am
YAY!!! Thanks, Intrepid.

The display button was displaying what each channel was sending through. Some said Stereo, others said Stereo and SAP. We noticed that the ones that said Stereo were the ones that were mute. I'd gone through all the menu settings yesterday looking for something that would make sense - nothing obvious. This morning I noticed a separate "audio" button on the remote. The options toggled between Stereo and SAP. We were indeed on SAP. Toggling it back to Stereo was the solution.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@JPB,
You are welcome. And, thanks for the star. Smile
0 Replies