Video: Robin Cook's Resignation Speech over the Iraq War

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:33 pm
I'd read about but didn't watch this speech back when it happened. I watched it today, and found it worth sharing.

Part 1

Part 2

I hope the mistrust of government war drums persists and that the war in Iraq has taught my generation something. It's sad how easily the American street was sold that bill of goods.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,308 • Replies: 10
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:38 pm
hear hear
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:39 pm
I said the same thing about Vietnam.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Funny you should mention it, I thought about that a bit earlier, thinking that this kind of lesson unfortunately only tends to last about one generation.

That's why I'm just hoping my generation learned this lesson, I know it's too much to expect the country to have learned it permanently but I don't want to see that kind of bullshit work in the next 20 years.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Agreed.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:53 pm
People are making a far bigger stink to prevent universal healthcare than pointless war, perhaps we deserve our decline.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Actually, come to think of it Vietnam's lessons may well persist for many generations. That was a turning point when America learned a key lesson about war weariness and during this Iraq war many things (like the purchasing of private satellite time, the embedded reporters etc) can be directly traced to the American military learning that lesson.

Maybe the paranoid charge to war in Iraq might teach some similar lessons that last beyond just one generation.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Vietnam seems to have taught its greatest lessons to the makers of wars. Anyway, the present situation has us opting out of an Iran war, so far.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Vietnam seems to have taught its greatest lessons to the makers of wars.

It certainly can seem that way, but remember that they had to learn these lessons because of the shift in American attitudes towards war. With the more cynical American public they had to learn public relations to wage war. The fundamental shift changed American culture in very deep ways, especially in respect to how government and authority is viewed.

If the wagers of war had to learn PR it's because the people became more critical and learned to challenge their government more readily.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:33 pm
That war, I have read somewhere, inspired many of the weapons we came to use in the years that followed. A mixed blessing.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 02:51 am

Robin Cook was the only one of our parliamentarians who came out of that with any credit.

And even he was a bit slow.

Putting party before country, and before conscience, is such a disgraceful, cowardly act.

Well done, Robin.
0 Replies