Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:51 am
I love stuffing. (Im not sure that this translates into Ozzain but...lemme explain). STUFFING is a side dish that usually accompanies a big celebratory meal that we in the US have infrequently.
ONE of our really great (insert: low expectation) holidays ,Thankgiving, is next week and STUFFINGS are a favorite part of our meal. Id like to hear some recipes for stuffings that you like or are traditional with your family.

Ive had an oyster stuffing on the eastern shore of MAryland that was absolutely killer . This stuffing was a sweet cornbread base and was loaded with oysters , corn, celery and spices that made ya cry. It was that good. I never found the recipe and my efforts to "back engineer" that one has always met with less than success, "SOMETHINGS MISSING"

ASO, please share with me some memories or recipes of stuffings you have met and enjoyed.

Then theres always GRAVY

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:21 am
@farmerman,
Stuffing is a side dish - not something that's stuffed inside the cavity of a bird to be roasted?

OK, I'm interested to hear more.

Waiting for more posts!
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:24 am
@msolga,
Some people have stuffed it inside the birds cavity . In order for the stuffing to cook properly thusly packed, would require the turkey to be overcooked and dry. SO, most orthodox stuffingists believe that the stuffing should be cooked separately in a baking thingy and noit in the bird.

Thank you for dropping by.
msolga

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:26 am
@farmerman,
That's interesting!

I like stuffing. A lot. Often the best bit of a roast, I reckon.

I'll be watching this thread with interest, farmer.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:30 am
@farmerman,
Nonononononononono!

For heaven’s sake.

It can be done on the side and almost always extras are, otherwise there are fist fights, but the REAL deal is done in the bird.

Don’t pack too tight.

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:00 am
@Joeblow,
How do you keep the bird from getting overdone? do you pre cook the stuffing before stuffing it in? Or do you partuially cook both the bird and the stuffing before introducing them to each other?
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:20 am
One of my ex-mothers-in-laws used to make the oyster stuffing you refer to, FM. So good. I'm going to look in my books to see if by chance she left me a recipe 25 years ago. (I did all the cooking, I still have all the cookbooks.)

And, yes, you cook the stuffing just about completely, but still kind of wet, and then stuff some of it in the bird. The wet stuffing helps to keep the bird moist. Don't over-pack.

We usually have two or three stuffings like you. I like to take the regular bread stuffing and broil-finish it. Makes nice crunchy bits to go with the sage-y bread and nuts.

Joe(off he goes)Nation
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:21 am
@farmerman,
Pardon my outburst! I was having fun. I’m not the biggest fan of meat based stuffing and my comment was directed toward traditional bread stuffings.

FWIW I have experimented with sausage stuffing, and I parcooked before adding to the mixture, then loosely stuffed it in.

I’ll read along and learn, too.

0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 07:24 am
@farmerman,
Hello farmerman. Some southerners put sage in their oyster cornbread stuffing. Also, some use buttermilk when making the cornbread.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:25 am
@msolga,
Farmerman is conflating stuffing and dressing.

Stuffing is stuffed in the bird and cooked with the bird. Dressing is cooked as a separate dish.

The ingredients are very similar, however.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:40 am
@DrewDad,
dressing is just a name for stuffing thats NOT stuffed into the bird. Lots of PC advice is that stuffing can be a source of lovely salmonella fish if cooked in the bird.

I WOULD LOVE to see some oyster dressing recipes . THe oyster is such a good fruit.

WE have a nice cranberry and apple stuffing recipe that I shall try to dig out over the next few days.

I must make sure that I have enough Jiffie Cornbread mix to make cornbread tomorrow and then cut it into slices and let it stand to get dry over the next few days so I can make a nice sweet cornbread stuffing with CHESTNUTS
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:43 am
@farmerman,
Googling Maryland Oyster Dressing gives quite different results from most stuffing recipes I'm familiar with.

I'm another cook who uses different approaches to stuffing and dressing. No meat inside the bird, thanks very much.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:44 am
@farmerman,
I think this version from Saveur looks pretty dang good. Especially if you can get Chincoteague oysters.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Corn-Bread-Oyster-Dressing
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:54 am
@ehBeth,
I tried to print it out and got 7 pages of stuff that is mostly a advert for the magazine. The recipe did look good though. We can get SHANK" Teeg arsters real easy. Nice little salty guys, yum.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:03 am
@farmerman,
To print something like that recipe, I usually cut and paste it onto a word document before printing.

Here's a recipe from Maryland

http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=8279

I think the mace is an interesting ingredient. Mace and tarragon instead of sage and tarragon. That might be the difference between a Chesapeake dressing and a "southern" dressing. (though there's probably a bit of sage in the poultry seasoning)

SKIPJACK OYSTER DRESSING

2 large stalks celery
1 medium onion
1/2cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon and pepper seasoning
1/8 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon tarragon
1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 pint shucked Maryland oysters, with liquor
8 slices day old bread, cubed

FINELY chop celery and onions. Saut in margarine or butter until tender. Mix in seasonings. Add oysters with liquor and simmer until edges of oysters just begin to curl. Remove from heat and gently mix in bread cubes. Adjust moistness with water as desired. Makes about 4 cups dressing (allow about cup per pound for fish; 1 cup per pound for poultry). Note: For an extra special tangy taste, core and finely chop 2 medium apples and add with celery and onions when cooking. Yield will increase about cup.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:15 am
@ehBeth,
I never knew that, Im so dum about these little tricks on a computer. I just wrote that and pasted it into my tips n tricks file

MERLIND ARSTERS are too dayum big. Theyre like "The Blob" and they miss that SHANK'Teeg flavor
mismi

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:24 am
I do my stuffing by baking two skillets of corn bread...

I chop red, yellow and green peppers and onions, mix it into my sweet cornbread batter place a couple of tbsp of canola oil in the skillets and get the skillet hot, pull out the skillets and pour the batter in. Bake it. I pull it out when it is done and cool it off. Then I take a 9x13 baking dish, spray the dish with Pam and then crumble the cornbread in it. I do you one bag of pepperidge farm stuffing as well. I boil a chicken with carrots and onions and garlic...I pour off the broth and chill it. Meanwhile I pull the meat off of the chicken and put it in the pan as well. I mix the bagged stuffing, my cornbread, and the chicken well. Then I pull out the broth and scrape the hardened greast off the top. Then I pour the broth over the top of the cornbread mixture, not too much or it will be too mushy...I have to eyeball it. I bake it until the top is nice and crusty...and serve it with cranberry sauce (the real stuff - not the canned - though I don't mind the canned either)

That's what my mom taught me and her mom taught her...
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:31 am
@farmerman,
I just looked at the Saveur recipe again - they actually have a print option just to the upper right of the recipe. A new page will open - with the recipe - no ads.

~~~

http://www.skipjack.net/le_shore/oyster/index.html

Quote:
Grades of shucked oysters:

Counts are the largest and suitable for stews and entrees
Selects are smaller than counts and ideal for frying and hors d'oeuvres
Standards are the smallest and best for frying in dishes like oyster fritters
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:33 am
@mismi,
Mismi, your recipe looks a lot like what I ended up doing at our Canadian Thanksgiving. I didn't want to bother with cooking a turkey, so I bought some turkey breast - cooked it up and then used it with veggies and dressing to make instant leftovers. Went straight to the part of Thanksgiving food that I like Very Happy

(made some dang good gravy to go with the turkey-veggie dressing)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
I make Simon and Garfunkle style stuffing.

a loaf of dried white bread.

a batch of cornbread.

onions, celery, and butter (not margarine dammit) cooked till all is soft and stinky.

chicken broth (i admit to using canned, i got no helper here at home)

parley, sage*, rosemary, and thyme.

*(the S & G part, but real heavy on the sage)

mix in broth till sloppy but not wet, and bake for 45 minutes or till crispy on top.

(i have added oysters, but did not like the effect...)

and the cavity of the bird is to be reserved for things what enhance the flavor of the bird, not for stuffing.