Fixing a boogered up CD

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 04:59 am
I bought an unabridged copy of "Hearts in Atlantis" at a econd hand shop. Its 25 CDs read by William Hurt. I was looking at the discs and noticed that the last dic is a bit scratched. I slipped it in the player of my car and noted that it skips and slips. Ive heard of a way that second hand music dealers can repair topical scratches . Does anyone know this trick? Id hate to have the tape reach its denoument only to lose the finish of the book.

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 05:20 am
@farmerman,
Farmer check to see if your friendly library had a copy on disk and if so then just check it out and make a copy of the last CD.

This seem to be a fast work around to your problem assuming the library had the audio book or even might be able to get it with an inter-library loan program for you.

You do not even need to feel guilty about copy rights as you had already paid for the audio book, not that I normally feel guilty but you might.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:02 am
@farmerman,
We used to repair minorly scratched CD's by spraying them with lemon Pledge and polishing them. The Pledge fills in the micro-scratches just enough to get the laser to see them as smooth.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:13 am
@farmerman,
Toothpaste also works.
0 Replies

msolga
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:15 am
@farmerman,
Check this out, farmer:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 04:51 pm
@msolga,
msolga: that site is priceless. TY TY TY!
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 05:06 pm
@Ragman,
Yes very interesting indeed we all owe a thank to msolga still I myself would just see if my local library had that audio book and copy the last CD if they do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 05:12 pm
@msolga,
That's a great find, MsO! Will try a couple of those ideas on a game CD that's unwell.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you.
we have a small town library and although several books are available, the actual issue of Hearts in Atlantis is one of those highly produced CD's with music and set ups, and a celeb narrator. The library didnt have the book, and, ven if it did, it would be in an AUDIO BOOK format (specific to libraries) so my last CD would not be in synch with AUdio Book.

I like the site you posted Olga, It follows the discussion re: toothpaste and waxing.
I first tried the waxing and , after a careful wsh and wax, it pays pretty good. There are some minor skips but I can get the book finished.
SInce I bought it at a community non-profit, the publisher has a disc available for 1.50 , so, if I want a pristine disc, I can get it fairly cheap.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:08 pm
@msolga,
I gave MsOlga the gold star since it was a really complete help site. You other guys helped too, but I have to be dispassionate in my selections
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:39 am
@farmerman,
Surprised

Ooooooh! I have never received one of those red ribbon thingy awards before! This is a first! What a moment! Very Happy

Just curious: is anyone seriously considering the "banana method"? (It's on the link I posted.) Imagine, lining up your damaged CDs & DVDs, smearing them all over with banana, cleaning them up with the skins, followed by a jolly good was under the tap! Well worth the effort, hey?
dadpad

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:16 am
@msolga,
RIGHT THATS IT!
I'm leaving.
I never get picked as the best answer.
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:29 am
@dadpad,
Sore loser!

It's not as if you weren't considered, is it? Hmmmmm?

Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:30 am
@dadpad,
Perhaps you should start a thread about this? Wink Razz
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 07:19 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

RIGHT THATS IT!
I'm leaving.
I never get picked as the best answer.

I'm sure you will be. As soon as you provide it. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:22 pm
Some news on this. I tried the toothpaste trick on an old CD I burned for my car. It fell on the floor and has been stepped on a couple times. SO, I did the center to outside rim with a baking soda toothpaste and then played the disc. It did work much better. Then I took my Hearts in Atlantis CD and did the same thing . I just finished the CD s yesterday and it worked fine, even the blues guitar background was clearly audible.
msolga

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:32 pm
@farmerman,
Terrific, farmer.

I'll give it a go on a couple of scratched (movie) DVDs.

Did you consider the "banana method"? Wink
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:47 pm
@msolga,
Im a big fan of the CAvendish fruit on bred with Pnut butter.

Thank ya verry much
dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:50 pm
@msolga,
Do these things work for DVDs????
msolga

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:50 pm
@farmerman,
Raspberry jam on buttered raisin bread toast for me!
0 Replies