Oscar Contenders and other Such Award Nonsense!

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'd forgotten Peter Weir did it!!

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 02:42 pm
I reckon that Food Inc. will at least get one of the documentary nods. I'll say it's lock for a nomination.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:26 am
2010 SPIRIT AWARD NOMINATIONS were announced on Nov 30, 2009. And for the most part, the Independent Spirit Awards are never bellwether for the Oscars, they do make an interesting contrast to the inevitable Academy picks.

BEST FEATURE (Award given to the Producer, Executive Producers are not listed)
(500) Days Of Summer - Producers: Mason Novick, Jessica Tuchinsky, Mark Waters, Steven J. Wolfe
Amreeka - Producers: Paul Barkin, Christina Piovesan
Precious - Producers: Lee Daniels, Gary Magness, Sarah Siegel-Magness
Sin Nombre - Producer: Amy Kaufman
The Last Station - Producers: Bonnie Arnold, Chris Curling, Jens Meuer

BEST DIRECTOR
Ethan Coen, Joel Coen - A Serious Man
Lee Daniels - Precious
Cary Joji Fukunaga - Sin Nombre
James Gray - Two Lovers
Michael Hoffman - The Last Station

BEST SCREENPLAY
Alessandro Camon, Oren Moverman - The Messenger
Michael Hoffman - The Last Station
Lee Toland Krieger - The Vicious Kind
Greg Mottola - Adventureland
Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber - (500) Days Of Summer

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
Sophie Barthes - Cold Souls
Scott Cooper - Crazy Heart
Cherien Dabis - Amreeka
Geoffrey Fletcher - Precious
Tom Ford, David Scearce - A Single Man

BEST FEMALE LEAD
Maria Bello - Downloading Nancy
Nisreen Faour - Amreeka
Helen Mirren - The Last Station
Gwyneth Paltrow - Two Lovers
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious

BEST MALE LEAD
Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Joseph Gordon-Levitt - (500) Days Of Summer
Souléymane Sy Savané - Goodbye Solo
Adam Scott - The Vicious Kind

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE
Dina Korzun - Cold Souls
Mo'Nique - Precious
Samantha Morton - The Messenger
Natalie Press - Fifty Dead Men Walking
Mia Wasikowska - That Evening Sun

BEST SUPPORTING MALE
Jemaine Clement - Gentlemen Broncos
Woody Harrelson - The Messenger
Christian McKay - Me and Orson Welles
Raymond McKinnon - That Evening Sun
Christopher Plummer - The Last Station

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Roger Deakins - A Serious Man
Adriano Goldman - Sin Nombre
Anne Misawa - Treeless Mountain
Andrij Parekh - Cold Souls
Peter Zeitlinger - Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

BEST DOCUMENTARY (Award given to the director)
Anvil! The Story of Anvil - Director: Sacha Gervasi
Food, Inc. - Director: Robert Kenner
More Than A Game - Director: Kristopher Belman
October Country - Directors: Donal Mosher, Michael Palmieri
Which Way Home - Director: Rebecca Cammisa
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:10 pm
Quote:
Oscar Futures: Up in the Air Touches Down

UP: Up in the Air. The season's 500-pound gorilla finally arrives with solid reviews and the top prize from the National Board of Review.

DOWN: The Lovely Bones. We'd love to be proven wrong here, but all indications are that Peter Jackson made us a stinker.

Read more: Oscar Futures: Up in the Air Touches Down -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/12/oscar_futures_up_in_the_air_to.html?mid=agenda--20091204#comment_list_bottom#ixzz0YmQRngMr

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:49 pm
The interview and quizzing of the director of the inevitable animated Oscar winning Pixar film, Up:
Quote:
Pixar's Pete Docter Plays 'Not My Job'
http://media.npr.org/assets/artslife/arts/2009/12/docter.jpg?t=1259969545&s=2
Pete Docter, a director, writer and animator for Pixar, plays a game called: "Yes, we're building the world's tallest building on sand ... What could possibly go wrong?" Three questions about Dubai.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=35
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:02 pm
More Oscar Buzz coming down the pipeline!
The Hurt Locker Edition!
Quote:
The Boston Society of Film Critics announced a pretty commanding sweep for The Hurt Locker in their annual awards (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Cinematography, and Best Editing).

Read more: Inside the Boston Society of Film Critics' Hurt Locker Lovefest -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/12/inside_the_boston_society_of_f.html?mid=agenda--20091214#ixzz0Zj5OoURH

Quote:
The Hurt Locker Continues Its Dominance With the New York Film Critics Circle
Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Katheryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Screenplay: In The Loop
Best Actress: Meryl Streep, Julie and Julia
Best Actor: George Clooney, Up In The Air / Fantastic Mr. Fox
Best Animated Film: Fantastic Mr. Fox

Read more: The Hurt Locker Continues Its Dominance With the New York Film Critics Circle -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/12/the_hurt_locker_continues_its.html?mid=agenda--20091214#ixzz0Zj6gaLK4

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:18 pm
SAG NOMINEES:
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
An Education (2009)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Nine (2009)
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart (2009)
George Clooney for Up in the Air (2009/I)
Colin Firth for A Single Man (2009)
Morgan Freeman for Invictus (2009)
Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side (2009)
Helen Mirren for The Last Station (2009)
Carey Mulligan for An Education (2009)
Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009)
Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia (2009)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Matt Damon for Invictus (2009)
Woody Harrelson for The Messenger (2009/I)
Christopher Plummer for The Last Station (2009)
Stanley Tucci for The Lovely Bones (2009)
Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Penélope Cruz for Nine (2009)
Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air (2009/I)
Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air (2009/I)
Diane Kruger for Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Mo'Nique for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:01 am
Quote:
The Directors Guild of America just announced the nominations. And they are:
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up In The Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Read more: Tarantino, Bigelow, HMFIC Nominated for Directors Guild Awards -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/tarantino_bigelow_hmfic_nomina.html?mid=agenda--20100107#ixzz0c2aZpjNV
by Lane Brown

The media seems to think that Bigelow is the favored director to win. Perhaps their logic is based on the Obama Era momentum/logic of first black president thusly first woman director to win the award. Also that Cameron has won the award for Titanic.

I believe that the voters will be blinded by Avatars technical flashiness and planet sized box office intake and prostrate themselves to hand him the award.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:36 pm
Writer's Guild Award nominations are in...

and In the Loop, Up, and Inglourious Basterds get snubbed.

Quote:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
(500) Days of Summer, Written by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber; Fox Searchlight
Avatar, Written by James Cameron; 20th Century Fox
The Hangover, Written by Jon Lucas & Scott Moore; Warner Bros.
The Hurt Locker, Written by Mark Boal; Summit Entertainment
A Serious Man, Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen; Focus Features
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Crazy Heart, Screenplay by Scott Cooper; Based on the novel by Thomas Cobb; Fox Searchlight
Julie & Julia, Screenplay by Nora Ephron; Based on the books Julie & Julia by Julie Powell and My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud’homme; Sony Pictures
Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire, Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher; Based on the novel Push by Sapphire; Lionsgate
Star Trek, Written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman; Based upon Star Trek, Created by Gene Roddenberry; Paramount Pictures
Up in the Air, Screenplay by Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner; Based upon the novel by Walter Kirn; Paramount Pictures
DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
Against the Tide, Screenplay by Richard Trank; Moriah Films
Capitalism: A Love Story, Written by Michael Moore; Overture Films
The Cove, Written by Mark Monroe; Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions
Earth Days, Written by Robert Stone; Zeitgeist Films
Good Hair, Written by Chris Rock & Jeff Stilson and Lance Crouther and Chuck Sklar; Roadside Attractions
Soundtrack for a Revolution, Written by Bill Guttentag & Dan Sturman; Freedom Song Productions and Louverture Films
WGA Announces 2009 Award Nominees [IndieWire]

Read more: Avatar, The Hangover Among the Hilarious Nominees for Writers Guild Awards -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/avatar_the_hangover_among_the.html?mid=agenda--20100111#ixzz0cXPVk1zg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:40 pm
much like my football picks

i'm going to guess that a film will win the best picture, a man will win the best actor and supporting actor, a woman will win the best actress and supporting actress, and so on and so forth
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 10:09 pm
Quote:
Best Actor
While Jeff Bridges has been steadily building momentum and pulling away from the pack, don't discount the tremendous level of support that George Clooney has from his peers (especially in the wake of the work he's done for the Haiti telethon). But considering that Bridges is entering the later stages of his career and has yet to be honored with an award, he's definitely got the edge.

Read more: What to Watch for at This Weekend’s SAG Awards -- Vulture
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/sag_awards_preview.html?mid=agenda--20100122#ixzz0dPBPh8a6
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:30 pm
The PGA (nope not the golfers association) gave away their awards last night.

The Hurt Locker knocked Cameron's goliath Avatar off of it's pedestal ... at least for now.
Quote:
Best Film: The Hurt Locker
Best TV comedy series: 30 Rock
Best TV drama series: Mad Men
Best Live-entertainment/competition TV: The Colbert Report
Best Animated feature: Up
Best Documentary feature: The Cove
David O. Selznick Award: John Lasseter

Read more: The Hurt Locker Takes Home Top PGA Award -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/the_hurt_locker_takes_home_top.html?mid=agenda--20100125#ixzz0dfLS9ehI

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Great list. I loved Starman, so 10/10 for me. Haven't seen TRON or K-PAX...putting them in the Netflix queue, thanks!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:22 am
Quote:
Not the Academy's expansion of its top category to ten slots, nor its hiring of two hosts, is paying off where it counts: James Cameron's Avatar " the biggest movie EVER! " is scheduled to win Best Picture over nine other films on March 7, but ABC has only been able to sell 30-second ads on the Oscars for between $1.3 million and $1.5 million, which is on par with the measly $1.4 million they sold them for last year when the comparatively low-grossing Slumdog Millionaire took top honors in a field of the usual five. Also, it's less than the $1.82 million commercials went for in 2008 when the Academy saluted No Country for Old Men, which was the year the telecast got its lowest-ever ratings. If, as expected, next year's ceremony is presided over by four hosts and twenty films compete for the top award, you'll be able to buy ads.

Read more: Oscar’s Ten Best Picture Nominations Not Paying Off in Advertising -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/oscars_ten_best_picture_nominees_not_paying_off.html?mid=agenda--20100128#comment_list_bottom#ixzz0e0VDsRpu
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:48 pm
Quote:
No director of an animated film has ever been nominated for Best Director. Why do you think that is?
I know that there is a certain amount of confusion or lack of knowledge about the way we work. I think a lot of folks tend to think of computers as having ... You know, you just type in some numbers. They don’t really understand that the whole process is actually very similar. The approach to the cinematography, we use the same language, two shots and overs, master lighting, and all kinds of things that are very, very similar. But I don't know if people are aware of that.

Read more: Up Director Pete Docter Reacts to His Oscar Nominations -- Vulture
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/02/up_director_pete_docter_reacts.html?mid=agenda--20100202#ixzz0eReqR650
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:05 am
Class act Adam Shankman is going to coproduce this year's Oscar ceremony. Never heard of him until this great interview with one of my favorite interviewers, Terry Gross on her iconic NPR show Fresh Air.

Quote:
February 18, 2010
Adam Shankman hates long introductions. The producer of this year's Academy Awards says long introductions are his least favorite things about the Oscars.

His favorite Oscar moments?

"I love the transference and magic of movies," Shankman tells Terry Gross. "And I love upsets."

Shankman " who danced at the Oscars 20 years ago " has spent the past several months picking out the hosts (Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin), choosing the musical numbers and making sure all the logistics fall into place by March 7.

This year, he says, the ceremony will feature co-hosts.

"Everyone loved the way Neil Patrick Harris did the Emmys," says Shankman. "But the great thing is this: Steve Martin anchors [the Oscars] in tradition. Alec makes a great comic wild card. The chemistry is magic between them " like Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin."

Shankman reveals details about the master seating plan, and the time winners get at the podium before they get the hook. But he won't say whether Baldwin and Martin plan a song and dance number to open the show, or how presenters will be introduced.

Shankman is an accomplished director (Hairspray, A Walk to Remember), dancer, actor and choreographer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). He has also been a choreographer and judge on So You Think You Can Dance since that show's third season.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123844321

Other Oscar related interviews available:
Fresh Air Interviews The Best Director Nominees

Quentin Tarantino
Jason Reitman
Lee Daniels
Kathryn Bigalow
James Cameron
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 11:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Winners of last night's Spirit Awards
Quote:
Best Feature: Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Best Director: Lee Daniels, Precious
Best Male Lead: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
Best Female Lead: Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Best Supporting Male: Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Best Supporting Female: Mo’Nique, Precious
Best First Feature: Crazy Heart
Best Screenplay: Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, (500) Days of Summer
Best First Screenplay: Geoffrey Fletcher, Precious
Best Cinematography: A Serious Man
Robert Altman Award: A Serious Man
Best Documentary: Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Best Foreign Film: An Education
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:16 am
Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)

I just finished it this morning and they were robbed of the best documentary award this year!

ROBBED I tells ya!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:53 pm
Saw a wonderful and pointed comedy today. I didn't intend to go to the movies this afternoon but I was walking to the Swiss Institute to see an exhibition but I decided to stop at the Angelika Film Center to see Micmacs.

And let me be the first to prognosticate that the French film by the director of Amelie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet is one of the first foreign language films of the year to be solidly placed in the running for the 2011 Oscars, Best foreign language film of the year category.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Toy Story 3 is a genuine lock for a Best Animated Feature Film of the Year nomination.

And I wonder if the Spanish version of You Got a Friend in Me counts as an original song?

You've Got A Friend In Me (Para El Buzz Español) by the Gipsy Kings and We Belong Together both written by Randy Newman have their shots for the Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song nominations.