Why are people like this ?

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
What ever happened to V and W ?? I thought you guys were still working on that one ??
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:47 pm
@Ionus,
Although very slow in progress, I did manage to move onto "Z" Laughing
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:51 pm
@dyslexia,
Maybe they should have a secure website...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 05:31 am
@Ionus,
This story sound/smell a bit like it might be an internet hoax story.

Hopefully that is the case anyway.
Ionus

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:56 am
@BillRM,
No Bill. Not a hoax.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 01:48 am
Uh oh, I say oh, it is one syllable and easier to say. My SS# begins with oh and that is what I say and I am in the habit. However, I am aware oh is not zero so sometimes I say zero. confusing enough.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 07:38 am
@dyslexia,
Maybe you should write out the prescription numbers ahead of time.
JPB

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 09:44 am
@DrewDad,
In large print.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
@Philis,
My SSN begins with "0" as well. If I tell an official type person that my number is "oh-something-something-something", when it's repeated back to me the official type person will always say, "zero-something-something-sometning. Is that correct?"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:54 am
Quote:
The modern habit of pronouncing the number zero as the letter ‘O’ should be banned from public broadcast.

I've never given this much thought... I use both interchangeably unless I'm talking to an airline rep. I know from experience that mixing up zeros and "O"s can keep you from finding your flight info.

I can see how someone not used to the custom, or someone whose primary language isn't english, could get confused - particularly in a stressful moment like trying to get emergency help. I didn't know that Australia uses 9-0-0 for emergency services.

I don't think you're going to have much luck changing something that's so ingrained in people's normal usage/conversation. What seems like a "what's the big deal" to most of us can be life threatening to someone else.
Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 03:51 pm
@JPB,
People are programmed by programs on TV. Previously in history we havent had much need to talk to each other in numbers. If we can generate inaccuracy, then surely we can generate accuracy by the same method. I know of one instance where it cost a life, maybe there are more, perhaps some are less direct.
Quote:
I didn't know that Australia uses 9-0-0 for emergency services.
Actually it is 0-0-0. It was selected because people in an emergency have trouble moving their digits accurately, so a nervous person was more likely to hit the same number three times.
0 Replies