Does the government want us to commit crimes

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:15 pm
I know how this sounds but if you stop and think about it, it is not as far fetched as you think. They have speed limits yet they still manufacture cars that can go 150 mph. They make drugs illegal yet you can't watch 30 min of television without a drug commercial coming on telling you about the new miracle drug, with side effects that are worse than your original ailment. In the poor parts of town you always see the same thing a liquor store, a pawn shop, and a gun store.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 769 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:22 pm
@g7yarbro,
Well consider that commercially advertised drugs, alcohol, guns, and pawn shops are not dealing in anything illegal. Are you saying all of the above cause crime?

I don't know why they make cars that fast, by the way, but speed limits are subject to change. Kansas, for example, did not have speed limits at one time on the highways, unless posted.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:53 pm
@g7yarbro,
g7yarbro wrote:

I know how this sounds but if you stop and think about it, it is not as far fetched as you think. They have speed limits yet they still manufacture cars that can go 150 mph. They make drugs illegal yet you can't watch 30 min of television without a drug commercial coming on telling you about the new miracle drug, with side effects that are worse than your original ailment. In the poor parts of town you always see the same thing a liquor store, a pawn shop, and a gun store.

Your wrongfully using a universal THEY. There is no such consolidated THEM that fills your description.

Quote:
They have speed limits yet they still manufacture cars that can go 150 mph.

The group of paternal lawmakers who created the speed limit aren't the same people who design and build and manafacture the car that's capable of traveling up to 150 miles an hour.

Quote:
They make drugs illegal yet you can't watch 30 min of television without a drug commercial coming on telling you about the new miracle drug, with side effects that are worse than your original ailment.

Once again, the lawmakers who write and finesse laws regarding controlled substances and determine which drugs are illicit and illegal aren't the ones who research, manufacture, and market those pharmaceutical medicines that bombard the airwaves for your attention.

Of course, I'm not delusional or uber-naive. I'm aware of the fact that the corporations who make the above legalized commodities are not completely mutually exclusive from the lawmakers. Lawmakers own stock in the companies, have these companies based out of their states, etc..., while the corporations spend millions on lobbying, political campaigns, pushing their product into government contracts, etc.... It's a flawed system but there is still separation between the two institutions.

Quote:
In the poor parts of town you always see the same thing a liquor store, a pawn shop, and a gun store.

Opportunism is the sinister side of our capitalistic system. But taken at face value, these so called micro-institutions aren't the source of evil if their population/clientèle use them in moderation. They're is nothing wrong with the occasional drink. Owning a gun is not necessarily an automatic compulsion for the individual to commit a crime.

Addictive behavior and criminal actions are common symptoms with the populations in these areas of opportunism. Removing these micro-institutions will not cure society of those ethical, legal, social, and moral transgressions from happening. The best way to prevent them from occurring is for society and government to provide a greater and stronger security net for those populations in need. And by security, I don't mean a purely literal law enforcement/policing system (though that aspect of security is still needed) but greater/improved access to social, economic, occupational, educational, etc... based infrastructure to lift that population out of poverty.

Take the all important UN Declaration of Human Rights. Perhaps one the most important document ever written. Great stuff is written there. All the promises but none of them will ever come to fruition because there are no compelling engines built into the so called declaration.
http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:01 am
What the tsar said. I'm awfully tired of seeing the "them" and "us" distinction being made as though there was some "they" out there running everything. That's an essentially paranoid world view. The world is not all of one piece. People who manufacture guns don't write the laws regarding gun control. Car manufacturers don't set speed limits. And so on.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:10 am
@g7yarbro,

Quote:

If there is money to be made from it, it will be done.
0 Replies