Has England really become this ridiculous?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 08:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Did they have twitter in 1920?
I don 't know.
I did not check around for it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 10:51 am
At the beginning of 2009, immediately before Paul Clarke handed in the shotgun, the same Surrey police station was dealing with a group of young vigilantes, aged 18-30.

Quote:
The machete-wielding vigilantes patrolling a 'stockbroker belt' village
(The Daily Mail, January 30, 2009)

They said they wanted to make their fellow villagers feel safer. But this gang of self- styled vigilantes looked more Northern Ireland paramilitary than Neighbourhood Watch.

Wearing menacing balaclavas and brandishing a machete, the mob got together because of fears that a sex attacker was on the loose.

The men, aged 18 to 30, said they would interrogate any suspects they caught in the Surrey commuter village of Merstham and hand out their own punishment.

But after they posed for a local newpaper photo, their leader was summoned by Surrey's divisional police commander, Chief Superintendent Adrian Harper, and told in no uncertain terms that vigilantes were not welcome.

He said: 'I cannot emphasise enough how irresponsible it is for people to take the law into their own hands.

'Often "justice" groups target the wrong person and an innocent member of the community is seriously injured.'

Later, the gang's leader, who would not be named, said: 'I guess a few of the guys got a bit carried away.

' We have ditched the balaclavas and handed in the machete.

'But loads of people support what we are doing. They say they feel safer with us out there because they don't see enough police walking the beat.'

Police are investigating two incidents in which young women were chased in Merstham and the nearby town of Redhill on December 30, and the rape of a 19-year-old girl in Redhill last May.

The gang leader said: 'We all know one of the girls who was attacked.

'We didn't want our wives, sisters and daughters falling prey to this beast, so we decided to go out there as a visible presence to scare him off and hopefully even catch him.

'We were also on the lookout for any burglars or anyone else posing a threat.

'We think the police are too concerned about catching kids smoking cannabis and drinking when they should be concentrating on the real criminals.'
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:44 pm
@wandeljw,

What does that have to do with a shotgun ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:47 pm

Clarke was really stupid.

All he had to do was either keep the shotgun for his personal use
or throw it away in the garbage and thus avoid any trouble.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 01:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Mr. Clarke appears to have had previous less-than-harmonious dealings with the police.

But such shouldn't be a guideline for the jury (however, most certainly was a topic for the Crown Prosecution Service).

The five-year minimum most probably is ludicrously overdoing things.
However, it is the inescapable fact that laws imposing minimum sentences will always, sooner or later, produce injustice that cannot be averted by the jury and/or judge. (Every case is different, and legislators cannot possibly envisage every twist and turn and nuance of the offences they are trying to proscribe. [Our (Roman) law here gives some better alternatives.])
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:44 pm

Respect to a German who knows the word proscribe. If only more Brits were as well educated.

This guy had some "previous", as Walter hints at.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:28 pm

I can 't help but wonder whether he is playing with the government, to embarrass it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That would imply, he's politically engaged somehow.

Might well be that he was 'playing withthe government', too, when he joined the armed forces ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Not necessarily; it might just be ego competition.

David
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:29 am
A politics blogger in England known as "Jack of Kent" received information on the prosecution of this case from the press office of Crown Prosecution Service (CPS):

Quote:
“A District Crown Advocate in the Crown Prosecution Service in Surrey authorised Surrey Police to charge Paul Clarke. Each case is kept under constant review and following a further review of the case Portia Ragnauth, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Surrey, decided that it was still in the public interest to bring the case to court....”

“Under the Code for Crown Prosecutors the CPS considered it was in the public interest to prosecute Mr Clarke as he was in possession of a sawn off shot gun. He had come into possession of the shot gun and two shotgun cartridges some days earlier and had not immediately contacted the police to make them aware of its existence. He was given the opportunity by the police to explain the full circumstances as to how he was in possession of the lethal weapon but his explanation lacked credibility...."

"This Home Office guidance as indicated is operational guidance addressed to the police and is not guidance to CPS prosecutors on how to deal with cases involving firearms offences. Crown Prosecutors apply the Code for Code Prosecutors when considering whether or not they should prosecute.
When making our decision we took into account that:
It’s a strict liability offence which means there is no defence to any possession.
It is a sawn off shot gun which is an aggravating feature. It carries a minimum of 5years imprisonment-mandatory-unless there are exceptional reasons. Our charging is quite clear because of the serious nature that these weapons can inflict, statute was passed to ensure that the possession reflected the serious nature hence 5 years imprisonment...."

"Paul Clarke claimed that he found the shot gun in his garden and decided to bring it to the police station. Evidence showed that he was in possession of the gun and the cartridges for some days earlier and that at that time he did not try to contact the police, for them to collect the weapon. He could not explain why he waited some days before bringing the gun to the police station and why he had not contacted the police for them to come and collect the gun.
The jury heard both the defence and prosecution case and reached the verdict that Paul Clarke was guilty of possession of a firearm...."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Might well be that he was 'playing with the government', too,
when he joined the armed forces ...
Maybe; r u gonna start the thread on that one ?
I 'll wait to see how u write it up, before I post a comment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 02:00 pm
The man who approached Tony Blair's London home with a loaded automatic pistol has been arrested. (If interested:
report here]
It seems that a passer-by picked up the pistol from the gutter and handed it to one of the Blairs' armed protection officers. In doing so he may well have committed a strict liability offence carrying a minimum sentence of five years' imprisonment ... ... ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 02:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don 't understand Y these Englishmen so blithely give away nice, valuable weapons.
If thay don 't want them, then thay shoud just leave them there
until someone who appreciates their value and wants them finds them;
either that, or just take them home for use in emergencies.

David
McTag

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:
I don 't understand Y these Englishmen so blithely give away nice, valuable weapons.
either that, or just take them home for use in emergencies

Tbe British authorities are not keen that individual members of the public have access to firearms, because these things are jolly dangerous in the wrong hands.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
@McTag,
David wrote:
either that, or just take them home for use in emergencies

McTag wrote:
Tbe British authorities are not keen that individual members
of the public have access to firearms, because these things are
jolly dangerous in the wrong hands. [Then give firearms safety training in all the public schools,
beginning at the earliest possible ages of students.]

Your comment addresses how a British authority shoud react upon
discovering a nice gun with a silencer lying in the street.

(It can be dangerous [and illogical] for an individual member of the public
to try to please the British authorities.)

I intended to address how an individual member of the public
shoud respond when unexpectedly he has abrupt access to firearms.

At home, faced with a predatory emergency, will he be more concerned
with defending his life and his other property, or with pleasing
the British authorities? Which is better?

David
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You just never give up, do you, David? Even in the face of reasonable statements. Amazing.
Francis

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
You cannot convince a Taliban to give up his line of thought.

Same with gun nuts...

They are impermeable to sound arguments or even just normal reasoning..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:23 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

You cannot convince a Taliban to give up his line of thought.

Same with gun nuts...

They are impermeable to sound arguments or even just normal reasoning..
That 's rude, Francis. That is an unnecessarily personal insult, rather than addressing the topic at hand.

I am able to respond in kind to u.
If I felt like it, I coud begin a vendetta of personal aspersion against u
exposing u to ridicule, and obloquious vilification.

I can have u for my toy,
and sentence u to 30 days in denunciatory hell,
but I don 't wish to lower myself to that.

Truely, I have no wish that u be unhappy, especially not at Christmastime,
tho that does not extend to distorting my understanding
of what is correct, to hypocritically conform myself to your points of vu.

In the Spirit of the Christmas Season: I forgive u.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:33 pm
Really, you could do that, David?

I'm scared..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:37 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

You just never give up, do you, David?

Maybe your philosophy is: "everybody loves a quitter" ??
Andy, I believe in having the fortitude, strength of character
and loyalty to goodness to stand up for what is right.
I guess u disagree with me, based on your post.

Merry Andrew wrote:

Even in the face of reasonable statements. Amazing.
I don 't know what "reasonable statements" u have in mind.

Maybe u were thinking of the English sentencing those who r held in subjection
to 5 years imprisonment for taking a gun to the police?

I guess that IS "reasonable"
on a theory of collaboration with the enemy (meaning government).

There used to be liberty in England once too, up to around 1920.
The English were proud of it.

David