CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It was recommended to me that perhaps I should volunteer my help.

Are there any requirements (academically and such) to volunteer for hospices and similar positions? How difficult or easy is the whole process?

I think they probably would do a background check to see that you're
intentions are sincere. Old people are among the most vulnerable and it is
only understandable that they would check you out.

You basically sit there and keep them company, listen to their stories and
if possible, take them for an outing so they get some fresh air once in a while.
All they need is some human interaction, that's all.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 03:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sounds reasonable.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
I wasn't required to get a background check, but maybe things have changed since then.

I also volunteered at the local theatres (plays) in my area, getting props, doing scene changes, helping with hair, etc. That was a lot of fun and I met some great people, plus, I learned a lot about the theatre. It was quite rewarding.

There are lots of places to volunteer, and most places are happy to have the extra help. I think it was ehBeth that said the volunteer coordinator is key - the one place I didn't like was due to that person not being appreciative or accommodating. So... keep looking and you'll find just what you're looking for.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:50 pm
my mum volunteered at a "low income' elementary school library where she read books to k thru 3 grade kids. she loved it and I think the kids did too.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
If you need flexible hours, I suggest you look into working with Literacy Volunteers and ESL tutoring. You only have to work around your student's schedule and most can do evenings and weekends. You do need to get certified first and most libraries offer the classes. It can be very rewarding when you get a motivated person.

Hospice is hard. Not only because you see so much death, but you have to deal with the very deep grief of families. You also need to have what I call "a medical stomach" - you see a lot of blood, vomit, and excrement on a daily basis.

Some of my best experiences have been organizing and working in food pantries. You meet all kinds of people and most are very appreciative of what you are doing.

I worked in a free clinic in NYC for a time, but found I got too involved with the young people and their life traumas. I left crying most of the time and eventually decided it was not for me.

I lasted one day at an SPCA because I came home with a dog and knew more would follow if I stuck around.

Gala

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:51 pm
@Green Witch,
I think for now, your suggestion of the food bank is the best way to go. I was finally able to reach a place, today, where they said Yes, just show up, which I can happily handle.

A bunch of years ago I wrote a story about a local animal shelter. All those abused animals and the woman who ran the shelter, who didn't have a clue how to take care of herself, it was too much for me.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:14 am
Service clubs such a Rotary may be a good option for you gala as they tend to be populated by working people. meetings are outside work hours and "service" to the community is often a requirment.
Rotary even have an online meeting.
Gala

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
@dadpad,
I found a really easy food bank. I called them on the phone and they said just show up. I don't have to fill out paperwork or anything. I'll look into Rotary, if this doesn't work out. I appreciate the suggestion.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 01:47 am
I just applied for a volunteer position at the Red Cross. If accepted, it will be a 10 hour per week office position. If nothing else, a little structure in my week would be very well needed and wanted.

Best case scenario, it will help add to my resume. And even better best case scenario ( Wink ) is that karma turns out to be real and I would get to deposit a great big karma check in the karma savings and loan. Cool

Now I have to find a soup kitchen to volunteer for Christmas Eve....
Gala

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:30 am
@tsarstepan,
That's good news. Structure and a karma check heading your way.

Are you working a regular job at the moment?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 11:40 am
@Gala,
Still unemployed. Still looking.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 12:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
What kind of job are you looking for, Tsar?
0 Replies