Take the Online Proust Quiz!

Gala

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
Now that it's been brought up, I'm pretty sure that I've never ever bought a single issue of VF. Only time I've ever seen a copy is on someone else's coffee table or in someone's witing room. Is it worth reading at all?

It's got some great writing. It leans Liberal but it's not exclusively Liberal. I usually ignore the cover stories because they're about celebrities and they're pretty boring, and of course, the Proust thing, which is pretty dumb. Most people who've never picked it up think it's another celebrity rag. They cover everything-- Politics, money, current scandals. They had a fantastic article about the Boeing plane that Chesley Sullenberger cruised into the Hudson-- really well-written. I'd say their strength in coverage is indepth and serious overview.

I've also given a couple of people gift subscriptions. You'd be surprised how good it is...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@djjd62,
I love Harper's magazine. The Harper's Index is pretty cool. Smile

Can't say that I've ever been compelled to read The New Yorker as I'm more of a New York Magazine fan. Very Happy I've been a faithful reader and subscriber for about 4 years now.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
I've been subscribing to The New Yorker on and off for most of my life. (Right now the sub is 'off'.) Harper's I can take or leave alone. I subscribed to Atlantic Monthly for a couple of years but gave it up when they had the temerity to move the editorial offices out of Boston. The noive! It's been a Boston publication for 100-plus years!

Of course, this says nothing about my Penthouse, Playboy and Hustler subscriptions. Not to even mention Mad.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:31 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I'm sure you read those for the articles...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:39 pm
@Linkat,
The centerfold of the Atlantic Monthly?!

SO SPICY!
Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Gee, I made centerfold of the National Geographic once.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:05 pm
@Sglass,
You one of those topless babes.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
93.4% Walter Cronkite
78.82% Brian Wilson
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:38 pm
@Sglass,
I was the centerfold of Feed & Grain Quarterly back in '95.
Sglass

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:41 pm
@Linkat,
Naw, just looked that way. I had them tucked in the top of my jeans.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:21 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Great - now I'll never be able to get that mental vision outta my head.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
@Sglass,
another wonderful vision to haunt me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:05 pm
@Sglass,
No, that was John Phillips.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:10 pm
@djjd62,
I haven't read VF very much, just at other peoples' houses once in a while. Have subscribed to both Harpers and New Yorker.. the New Yorker for near forever.

Ah, I'm 95.96% allied to Joan Didion's responses, and 81.45% to Ray Charles'. I've liked Didion and liked Ray Charles. So it goes.
0 Replies