At least seven killed in shooting at Fort Hood, Tex.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:04 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Well, of course he is a nut job just as the young woman who straps dynamite around her waist and wades into an Iraqi bazzare.

Do you draw a psychological distinction between the two?

Yes, I do. One has gone nuts all on his own. The other is doing it under duress. The criminals that people call terrorists (and lend legitimacy to by declaring war against them) take people's kids, and then offer the parent a choice of strapping on a bomb herself, or the criminals strapping bombs onto the kids.

So, yeah. Kind of a big distinction.
This is the first that I 've heard of that sort of thing.
It sounds like the Moslems are getting desperate.
Thay have recruited a goodly number of fellows to do it
on a purely religious basis, without extortion.

We captured some of them and thay were interviewed on TV.

David
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:04 pm
@msolga,
For a while I thought it was a possibility when Bush was president and passed the Patriot act, which I DO see as a serious trampling of our citizen's rights. There was such fear and acquiescence after 9/11 that I was unsure what would happen to our rights.

It's not that I think our government necessarily will turn against a significant group of citizens, but I think it's becoming a possibility (albeit a remote one) that society itself may breakdown (I'm becoming more and more worried that our economic problems will have devastating ramifications to our country, and that they are FAR from over) and if that were to happen it may lead our government to make some decisions, or implement some new laws that would impede on the rights of citizens. Possibly enough that I may wish to oppose these laws/rules, by force. Or I may need to defend myself or our government if OTHER citizens decide to take up arms in opposition.

I hate to think what a few nuclear bombs may do to this country and our laws. We live in a dangerous world. One where, you have to admit, the USA is a big target (for a variety of reasons).

I doubt that many of the atrocities throughout history were foreseen by the majority of the citizens involved. Sometimes this stuff happens by surprise, and can happen very quickly.

And again, these are remote possibilities (at best), but I see no reason to be unprepared.
msolga

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:08 pm
@maporsche,
Thank you for an honest answer, maporsche.
I can see where you're coming from.
But it won't come as any surprise, I'm sure, that I can't agree with your point of view.
maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:22 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But it won't come as any surprise, I'm sure, that I can't agree with your point of view.

You just don't think it's possible that a 'western' country could/would become an oppressor anymore?

I'd have to agree that the chances are small, but not small enough, in my view.

This is just one of the reasons that I think it's appropriate to own a gun (and know how to use it). The self-defense reason being my primary one.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:30 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

dlowan- As horrific as the act was, I would be much more comfortable knowing that this was a lone gunman who freaked out. The thought of groups all around the country planning similar acts is terrifying.
Unless there is something that I have missed,
there are no such groups of Moslems forming for that purpose.

Is there evidence to the contrary ?

If u had said groups of Moslems organized to BOMB us,
that is another story, but not to shoot us as did the rampant Major.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:42 pm
Quote:
"I told him, `There's something wrong with you,'" Osman Danquah, co-founder of the Islamic Community of Greater Killeen, told The Associated Press on Saturday. "I didn't get the feeling he was talking for himself, but something just didn't seem right."

Danquah assumed the military's chain of command knew about Hasan's doubts, which had been known for more than a year to classmates in a graduate military medical program. His fellow students complained to the faculty about Hasan's "anti-American propaganda," but said a fear of appearing discriminatory against a Muslim student kept officers from filing a formal written complaint.

"The system is not doing what it's supposed to do," said Dr. Val Finnell, who studied with Hasan from 2007-2008 in the master's program in public health at the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. "He at least should have been confronted about these beliefs, told to cease and desist, and to shape up or ship out."
Finnell said he did just that during a year of study in which Hasan made a presentation "that justified suicide bombing" and spewed "anti-American propaganda" as he argued the war on terror was "a war against Islam." Finnell said he and at least one other student complained about Hasan, surprised that someone with "this type of vile ideology" would be allowed to wear an officer's uniform.

But Finnell said no one filed a formal, written complaint about Hasan's comments out of fear of appearing discriminatory.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORT_HOOD_SHOOTING?SITE=DCSAS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

So maybe his religon does play here, he was a ticking time bomb that was not dealt with because of his minority status.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 08:43 pm
Nope. I don't. Unless the grid fails or some other horrific event or disease, but that would be paranoid thinking wouldn't it?
And then again, I think most would have bigger things to worry about than attacking people who work for the government. Because while we all love to skewer the government, it mostly made up of our neighbours, friends and family. Citizens vote for the government they want, sometime you win, other times you lose. Mind you, we've seen the vetting process for the Presidential seat. It would surprise me greatly if a closet dictator emerged from this process. But then again, Cheney was indirectly elected.
What do you think it would take for people to rise up and kill/fight these government officials? Do you think the line would be drawn between north and south, or perhaps blue against red?
Or would it be more insidious, neighbours killing neighbours who disagreed with the uprising? Do you think, if this battle between the classes ever actually happened, the people could win? Eventually their stocks would run dry, no?

Out of curiosity, how many people are employed by the federal, state and/or municipal(not sure if this is applicable) governments in US? For example, the combined Indian forces are twice the population of Canada, 70 million strong but still a small percentage of the population of the 1.15 billion..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:08 pm
@maporsche,
It's more that I think that as imperfect as democracy is, maporsche, it's the best we can achieve in a civilized society. The closest we can come to governing the majority of people the way they voted to be governed. I find it a very worrying notion that a minority of citizens (& it would be a minority) might believe they have a right to basically wage war against a government that (for whatever reason) they have grievances with. If enough people felt the way you do, it would seriously undermine a government's ability to govern, even if no action was ever taken. And (let's just assume some sort of violent uprising against a government was successful) what would happen to life that country after a citizens' uprising? They might well also need control those who don't support their ideals, now that they've removed the government. How might that be done realistically? Enforcement? Think of the implications of such a situation.
Or, when you talk of citizens' militias, perhaps you mean violent civil disobedience (rather than over-throwing the government)? Assuming this was carried out by a minority of citizens, what do you think such action would actually achieve?

Can I should say, too, that I have yet to experience the perfect government of my dreams, in my own country. Wink The previous (Liberal/Howard) government, for example, took us to war (in Iraq) against the wishes of the majority of Australian people. We exercised our citizens' rights by demonstrating & arguing vocally against that government & eventually (after doing considerable harm, many of us believe) it was resoundingly voted out. I suspect, as unhappy, impatient & as frustrated as many of us were at the time, that taking matters into our own hands would have probably made the serious divisions that existed in the community even worse than they already were.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:21 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Quote:

What I don't understand for the life of me is that Americans
who want guns are protected.
The right to bear arms
was put beyond the jurisdictional reach of government
by the citizens who CREATED government in America,
as a condition of government 's existence.
In other words, as a condition of government 's existence,
it woud have no jurisdiction to control guns, nor to make u
incriminate yourself and several other things it coud not do.
The Bill of Rights remains INTACT so that government still
has no such authority, and it can only control guns by an act of USURPATION,
stealing power the way a bankteller steals from the vault.

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
Those who don't are at the mercy or those that do.
Then thay can change their minds.
Its the same as non-voters; those who don 't are at the mercy
of those who VOTE.

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
I keep hearing the argument that the gun amendment was put in
place so that the people could rise up against the government if they need to.
That was not the only reason. It was also for personal defense
(remember, there were no police, neither here, nor in England, until the following century);
every citizen was expected to defend himself and to be prepared for it.
It was also for hunting food and target shooting for sport, like baseball.
James Madison used to supervise gunnery competitions, with prizes.
Thomas Jefferson wrote to his 12 year old nephew cautioning him
always to take his gun with him when he goes out for a walk
and to practice with it for proficiency. (That letter still survives.)

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me, that the United States government isn't the worry at all.
Right, its like the Weimar Republic was not the worry at all to Germans,
tho the inflation was not too popular. No, the Weimar Republic was peaceful
thru the 1920s until 1933; nothing to worry about. Right ?

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
It's not like, at least in modern times, they have a history of attacking their own people.
Will u explain that to Randy Weaver, whose wife and 14 year old boy
were slaughtered at their home by the Clinton Administration ?
A Clinton sniper shot the boy in the back
(after blasting his arm off, as he ran for his life)
and then when his mother came to the door to see what the fuss
was, holding her baby in her arms, thay shot her to death too.

What about all of the women and little children who were killed
by the Clinton Administration at Waco, Texas?
Maybe thay don 't count? or that was not in "modern times" ?

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
It's the people who hold this amendment dearest who seem to be the ones
that the rest of the population needs to be protected from.
The gun lovers are the dangerous ones, they keep attacking their fellow citizens.
Was this Moslem a gun-lover, like me?
I don t think he was.

David
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:27 pm
@msolga,
It would take something that violated our civil liberties before you saw any uprising against the government. It would take something like the government suspending/eliminating our 1st amendment rights (right to free speach) before you'd see any number of people willing to do something like we're talking about. Or a president declaring marshal law and suspending elections (like some seriously thought Bush would have tried to do, I'm not one of those). I DO think if the government tried to outlaw/ban firearms and overturned the 2nd amendment (or chose to ignore it) you'd see something like this occur too.

The stuff we're talking about in politics today (public option, abortion, etc) is NOT what would set something like this off.

Again, this is not the reason I own guns though, it never even crosses my mind unless we're talking about it on this board.

What would your government have to do before you'd consider taking violent action against it?
dadpad

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:46 pm

Pick the killer and more times than not there is a history of that person being ridiculed and treated like ****, day in and day out.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:52 pm

Let us note that a President has no authority
to declare martial law nor to suspend the Constitution.

Indeed, the Constitution is the source of his authority.
In theory, if he suspended it, then he 'd suspend his authority as President
and he 'd be left with the authority of a schoolyard bully
(if the Armed Forces supported his coup d' etat).

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:53 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Pick the killer and more times than not there is a history
of that person being ridiculed and treated like ****, day in and day out.
Have u a solution for this ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:56 pm
@dadpad,
it appears in this case that problem was rather he was treated too well, he was not stopped from blowing up when it should have been clear that this is where he was headed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
It would take something that violated our civil liberties before you saw any uprising against the government. It would take something like the government suspending/eliminating our 1st amendment rights (right to free speach) before you'd see any number of people willing to do something like we're talking about. Or a president declaring marshal law and suspending elections (like some seriously thought Bush would have tried to do, I'm not one of those). I DO think if the government tried to outlaw/ban firearms and overturned the 2nd amendment (or chose to ignore it) you'd see something like this occur too.

Admittedly I'm a long way from the US, maporsche, but seriously, it doesn't sound like any of these things are about to happen. Apart from anything else, because a government would seriously risk losing office.

Quote:
Again, this is not the reason I own guns though..

I know.

Quote:
... it never even crosses my mind unless we're talking about it on this board.

That's interesting. So it's more theoretical pros & cons, in the process of debates/discussions with you?

Quote:
What would your government have to do before you'd consider taking violent action against it?

I don't know. I can't imagine. Become a dictatorship? Wink
No seriously, if an Australian government proposed legislation or acted in a way that was wildly out of kilter with public expectations, I imagine there'd be political hell to pay. The media would be at their throats, the opposition would be at their throats, their ratings the opinion polls would reflect extreme voter dissatisfaction .... pretty much like the US, really. The government would be cutting it's own throat.

The thing about violent action (with or without weapons) is that this actually loses support for (sometimes) a valid & popular cause. Because then the issue becomes public abhorrence of extremism & the actual motives for the action become lost. I think it's fair to say that Australians, on the whole, could be considered moderate (conservative, even) politically. As maddening & frustrating as this might be for the politically active, that's pretty much our political reality. I seriously don't believe any group would win mass public support here by resorting to violence.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:14 pm
I would say your government learned it's lesson at Ruby Ridge, don't kill women and children, so... as far as Waco was concerned they didn't fire on children just the ones shooting at them. The deaths falls directly on the head of David Koresh. The people could have left peacefully, they chose to kill their own children and burn instead.
I personally think the world is a better place without fanatics like him. Are you really defending a pedophile and skinheads ?
Do you honestly believe that these two places were legitimate and weren't a cause of concern? Do you honestly believe that outcome would be any different for any other paranoid delusional racists?
Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:17 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

Nothing, I'd move. Plenty of tropical beaches out there.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:25 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Has the second amendment been worth the cost?
What have we gained by having it when you compare our violent
crime history with that of countries who have no ownership of guns for citizens?

T
K
O
In some cases, armed victims have successfully defended themselves,
ofen without even discharging a shot.
Years ago, I was driving home from my girlfriend 's house
around 12m or 1 a.m., alone on the road except for an old car
behind me tailgating me. I was looking diagonally forward and to
my right for a gas station, driving slowly. After some time of that car
hanging on my rear end, I heard a shot and saw a bullethole
in my driver 's door window, and simultaneously therewith,
I saw that the old car had pulled abreast of me on my left side
and was holding its position exactly there as I continued driving,
UNTIL I pulled out my stainless steel mirror .44 revolver,
whereupon I heard a shrill scream and observed an abrupt change
of speed in the other vehicle, which departed hence, apace.

I never even had time to line up a shot.

To tell u the truth: I 'd rather not be helpless in that situation, TKO.
I think that the 2nd Amendment is worth the cost,
tho the occupants of that other car may well have a DISSENTING, point of vu on that.
Its possible that I might have spoiled their evening.

If criminals had a labor union,
it woud demand that its' members' victims be UNARMED
and it woud push for repeal of the 2nd Amendment.
Violent criminals believe that the 2nd Amendment
is definitely not worth the cost to them; too dangerous to do their work.

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:49 pm
This editorial was re-printed in my morning paper (Melbourne, Oz) today. I thought it worth posting here. Sounds pretty sensible to me.:

Quote:
Reserve judgment: all we know is a man just snapped
MICHAEL TOMASKY
November 8, 2009

This massacre must not taint all Muslims.

WHAT will Americans make in the coming days of the horrifying murder by Major Nidal Hassan - a Palestinian-American who was born in Virginia but whose parents migrated from near Jerusalem - of 12 of his fellow soldiers and one civilian?

We should begin by noting that there is no powerful ''anti-Muslim sentiment'' afoot - there were 156 hate-crime incidents in the US in 2006, the most recent year for which numbers were available. As a point of comparison, the UK, with less than one-fifth of America's population, had 106 such incidents in a 12-month period covering 2007-08.

Even so, the national mood, in the wake of divisive off-year elections and terrible unemployment figures, is brittle. On the day of Hassan's massacre, about 5000 right-wing ''tea partiers'' stormed Capitol hill. They're the kind of folks who call Barack Obama a ''Muslim''.

We have much to learn about Hassan before we can jump to any conclusions. A New York Times profile of him notes that this army psychiatrist, who had presumably heard many blood-curdling war stories, obsessively feared being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan.

For all most Americans know about Palestinian culture, Nidal Hassan could be as common a name as Dave Johnson. The Palestinian is an unknown person in the US. Jews are a part of the country and have been for decades, but average Americans pretty much know Palestinians only as suicide bombers. Sadly, for some Americans this event will reinforce an image of a people who resort first to mindless violence.

A Palestinian-American soldier is a strange thing to most Americans. I grew up watching Second World War-era movies about American armed units that invariably featured the following types. There was a tough guy from Brooklyn, usually with an Italian-sounding name like Joe or, better still, Vinny. There was a sturdy fellow from corn-country, who represented the no-nonsense fearlessness of your average American. There was a southerner, a bit slow-witted but lovable, who provided comic relief but came through when the chips were down. The thing they had in common was that every one of them was white.

All this changed post-Vietnam. It came to be understood that wars were actually fought by black working-class and poor people, so Hollywood embraced that. The heavy lifting in the fields of South-East Asia was typically done, in life and in film, by sons of the ghetto and what we sometimes call white trash kids. More recent filmic depictions of the grunt's life have incorporated Latinos. But a Palestinian?

We should assume, until it's proven otherwise, that Hassan was an American and a loyal one, who just snapped, as Americans of all ethnicities and backgrounds and political persuasions do. And, as is so rarely the case in these situations, he's alive, so we'll have a chance to hear him express his views some day.

He was a native-born citizen. He deserves exactly the same legal representation and presumptions as if he were a white man from corn-country.

And he deserves exactly the same amount of anger and fury and contempt from the rest of us for this unspeakable thing he did. Let him rot - because of what he did, not because of who he is.

Michael Tomasky is editor at large, Guardian America.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/reserve-judgment-all-we-know-is-a-man-just-snapped-20091107-i2ta.html
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:10 pm
@maporsche,
Thanks for the reply Map.

It is a very complex issue. I'm inclined to believe that the gun ownership is not responcible for the crimes but certainly a elevating liability given whatever the x, y, and z factors are, whatever they are.

T
K
O