Kevin Costner

lovejoy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:30 pm
Is KC the most "wooden" actor of all time?

I can watch his movies, but he has the same monotone voice whatever he does, The untouchables, for example, even JFK didn't elicit any kind of passion from him which certainly was not true of the real Jim Garrison.

Does KC have any acting ability or is it just me that thinks he doesn't?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,558 • Replies: 25
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
I thought he was great in Bull Durham (and in Field of Dreams and A Perfect World) so, while it might not be just you, I think he's done some good work.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:

Nicolas Cage
Sylvester Stallone
Hayden Christensen
Keanu Reeves
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
@DrewDad,
Its fashionble to pan "Dances with Wolves" for Costners portrayal. I, standing here beside myself, cannot understand why the pans. I loved it.

NOW, "OPEN RANGE" another western with Costner as Director, was wooden and loaded with cliches like
"You go yonder and get the catlle rounded up while I rustle up some grub"
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
@lovejoy,
I thought he was excellent in Mr. Brooks. I never really liked him either, and I rented that movie mostly because I like William Hurt and it seemed like interesting subject matter - but I ended up thinking Kevin Costner was really good in that.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:36 pm
I dunno, Harrison Ford can really give Costner a run for his money, as far as being dull and wooden.

Never could see what the big deal was.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:47 pm
@boomerang,
I agree with your assessment in Bill Durham, Field of Dreams, and A Perfect World. So, he's not associated with being a classically trained actor. His range is limited. But he can succeed when he finds the suitable role.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:14 pm
Nicolas Cage
Sylvester Stallone
Hayden Christensen
Keanu Reeves

I don't think Nicolas Cage should be in there (not quite anyway)

Stallone doesn't count as an actor (does he?)

Keanu Reeves O.K. I have to agree to that one

Who is Hayden Christensen?
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:18 pm
Chai2 I'd forgotten about Harrison Ford

and of course my fav actor to criticise of all time, the tree stump himself Marlon Brando
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:26 pm
YEH, but if you showed him respect, men would fear you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:14 pm
@lovejoy,
Quote:

Kevin & Harrison & co seem to belong to the "impassive front, but stuff boiling away, under the surface" school of acting.

I guess it leaves it to one's own imagination, making sense of what's going on, deep down?

Sometimes I actually prefer this to having every little thing spelled out (with sound effects!). But a lot depends on the director & the script ...
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:46 pm
@lovejoy,
Yes, I agree that he's HORRIBLE. The only thing decent that I think he did was Field of Dreams. His portrayal in Dances with Wolves was weak and not at all like the character in the book. Way to wishy-washy. He should get another profession or find characters that are touchy-feely, which he seems to do well at.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:14 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Kevin & Harrison & co seem to belong to the "impassive front, but stuff boiling away, under the surface" school of acting.

wow...I never saw any stuff boiling under the surface, I think it looks more like the expression on a toddlers face when they get that far off look for a few moments....right before you smell their poop.

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:23 pm
@chai2,
right - vacuous is the word.

Another terribly acted movie was Jurassic Park. Everybody in it was fake and wooden.
chai2

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:41 pm
@Mame,
vacuous?

is that the word for what baby poop smells like?
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:42 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
wow...I never saw any stuff boiling under the surface, I think it looks more like the expression on a toddlers face when they get that far off look for a few moments....right before you smell their poop.

I think I should have added an Wink after my "stuff boiling under the surface" comment, chai. Wink

And this, too, probably:

Quote:
I guess it leaves it to one's own imagination, making sense of what's going on, deep down?

Actually I don't exactly have a passionate position about Kevin's acting abilities. What I've seen on TV has been OK ... For TV.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:03 am
@chai2,
no, i was referring to the look on their faces, OBVIOUSLY!

geesh, chai
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:03 am
@chai2,
no, i was referring to the look on their faces, OBVIOUSLY!

geesh, chai
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 10:49 am
@lovejoy,
It's obvious most folks here completely agree with you!

But, I've enjoyed some of his movies, AND I think he's hot.

I do.

(hangs head in shame imagining the snorts of derision )
Mame

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:37 pm
@Joeblow,
<snort... of derision>