Share your favourite internet food & recipe sites.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
@msolga,
But you would sniff at me, saying I wasn't interested?

What's the deal, we are all nice here, empty of opinions?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, look, -3.

So, are you all pissed that I talk back frankly to Msolga, a long time friend, or talk regarding Emeril, purveyor of execrable tomatoes for a lot of money?
Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Olga has explained that she didn't know anything about Emeril. I'm sorry I mentioned him. Let's all play nice, ok?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:26 pm
@Swimpy,
I love Olga, but I am not nice, especially after fluffies of negs re my opinion, though even before that, I am not just nice.

On the other hand, I don't suck up, at least usually.

Not that all of you who cherish emeril do either, you are saying what you think.

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, it's OK.

No offense taken.

Please let it rest now.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Cherish is as strong word. Personally, he annoys the he'll out of me. I hope you know I don't thumbs down people.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:55 pm
Here are some video links from SBS's Food Safari program in Oz.

(I hope they work for you!)

SBS is Australia's multicultural network, so all these programs focus on different ethic cuisines.

I love Food Safari! Smile

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipeindex/RecipeByCategoryMain/27/1/noperpage/15
Swimpy

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:34 pm
@msolga,
That site reminds me of America's Test kitchen http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ Some content is by subscription, but i think you can watch the current episodes for free.
Diane

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:23 pm
MsOlga, if you want a drink good enough to make you forget about dinner and you want to stick to your cajun cookin,' here's the recipe for you--also the link because the history of this drink is lovely, but I didn't want to cut and paste everything.
http://www.artofdrink.com/archive/popular-cocktails/ramos-gin-fizz-cocktail

I had the real thing in San Franscico, in the 60's, but I'd love to have it at a great bar in N'Awlins.

And anyone who won't allow raw egg white will just have to accept the fact that they will never truly know this elixir of the goddesses.

Ramos Gin Fizz
2 oz Gin (Plymouth)
½ Tbls egg white (powdered)
½ oz simple syrup
½ oz lemon juice
½ oz lime juice
1 oz cream
3 drops orange flower water
1-2 oz Soda water

The original recipe calls for the use of a raw egg white, but in modern times that seems to be frowned upon by most bar patrons, most because of the fear of salmonella. The truth is that contracting salmonella from a raw egg is very, very rare. How many times have you eaten raw cookie dough or cake batter? Unfortunately, most restaurant owners don't want the headaches associated with raw eggs, so almost any Ramos Gin Fiz you order at a bar will be sans the egg white, resulting in lighter drink than the original. However, if you come to my bar you still get the egg white. The trick is that I'm using powdered egg whites which are guaranteed to be 100% salmonella free. I simply rehydrate the egg white powder with water or you can add the powder directly into the cocktail shaker with the gin and juice. I would recommend an extra few shakes to make sure there are no lumps.

If you work in a bar, like me, and are crazy enough to put it on your drink menu, like me, here's a little tip to speed things up. To get the foam / meringue started combine the gin, cream, rehydrated egg white, lime / lemon juices, and simple syrup into the tin half of a Boston shaker. Instead of shaking to get the foam started, use an immersion blender, sometimes referred to as a "stick blender" or "motor boat blender." The trick to get this started is to slowly lift the blender up to incorporate air into the mix. Do this for about 20 seconds, then remove the blender, add a scoop of ice and shake for another 30 seconds. Once that is done strain the drink into a tall glass with an ounce or two of soda water on the bottom. I don't like adding the soda water after the drink is in the glass because it breaks the foam and makes for a watery drink.

It is also advisable to use a chilled glass if possible because the Ramos Gin Fizz is served without ice. I've added ice before and it tastes the same, but because of the volume of the drink you need a big glass (14 oz Zombie glass work).

Tagged: ramos | orange flower | new orleans | lime | lemon | gin | fizz | egg white | cocktail

mckenzie

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 09:14 pm
@msolga,
This fellow, I presume his name is JB, cooks Cajun food, not for a living but for his family and friends, I presume. He used to post his videos on another forum but now uses You Tube. He's fun to watch and has a fairly large following. He's from Baton Rouge, just a little north of New Orleans, and near Cajun country.

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 09:32 pm
@msolga,
I like this website, Msolga. I found it when I was looking to duplicate the stuffed crab that are available pre-prepared at the local seafood markets. Lots of great recipes (along with the stuffed crab).

http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/index.htm

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:55 am
@Diane,
Why thank you so much, Diane.
I must confess I haven't ever ever heard of the Ramos Giz Fizz till now!
Sounds pretty good to me!

OK then, when I'm more advanced at Cajun cooking (& I confess to being a somewhat remedial -beginner-learner at this point Wink ) I will definitely give Ramos a go! To match the authenticity of whole experience, not to forget dinner! Smile

With the raw egg white, I think.
Free range egg, obviously.
But how could I possibly miss out on this? No way! :

Quote:
...anyone who won't allow raw egg white will just have to accept the fact that they will never truly know this elixir of the goddesses.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 02:02 am
@Swimpy,
Thanks again, Swimpy.
I've taken a quick look through the list of recipes. Quite a few I'm interested in.
I'll have to come back later, when I have more time, to see which are subscription & which are free.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 02:38 am
@mckenzie,
Thanks so much, mckenzie!
(Long time no see!)

I've taken a quick look through both of your recommendations. Interesting!
JB for colour, culture (which is 1/2 the interest for me) & home cooking. I checked the smothered pork recipe & will be back to check out a few more.

The Cooking Louisana site looks very promising, too.
I checked out the greens recipes & also the beans section, both of which look pretty good!
I still find collards a bit of a (southern) mystery (no such vegetable here) , but I love the idea of using more greens in my cooking, in more varied ways than I have done. I have a bumper crop of silver beet (Swiss Chard) in my back garden right now & I think I'm going to find some good recipes for it here.

The fish/shell fish section looks great, but I'm afraid it will have to remain on hold until until I'm a bit more flush than at the moment.

Thanks again! Smile

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:09 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I still find collards a bit of a (southern) mystery (no such vegetable here) , but I love the idea of using more greens in my cooking, in more varied ways than I have done. I have a bumper crop of silver beet (Swiss Chard) in my back garden right now & I think I'm going to find some good recipes for it here.

I imagine you could substitute most any green for collard greens. Mustard greens would work well.

If you're interested in southern (non-Cajun) cooking, I've made some recipes from Southern Living magazine which worked out well.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:48 am
@msolga,
from my memory, Greek daily diet has a very high inclusion of "greens" perhaps Greek recipes are more readily available in Oz.
Irishk

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:43 am
I bought collard greens once. They're supposed to be really high in Vitamin A, but they're a pain to clean (very sandy). Plus, I found a worm in mine! I decided there's got to be a better way of getting Vitamin A.
mckenzie

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 08:12 pm
@msolga,
Waving to msolga. Yes, it has been a long time. Mr. M and I are on vacation now, and since we have a laptop with us, I have time to play.

Yes, mustard greens is a good substitute, I understand, also swiss chard, silverbeet or mangold, apparently. Mr. M has tried collard greens, I haven't.

We'll will be passing through Cajun country and New Orleans next week, and plan to shop for a few things, have beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde and pick up some of our daughter's favourite treats, pralines from Aunt Sally's.

http://www.auntsallys.com/
msolga

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:33 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
If you're interested in southern (non-Cajun) cooking...

Yes, I definitely am.
Thanks for posting the link to that site, Joe.
I notice there's a section on "healthy" southern food. I gather that a person could get a little chunky if they threw themselves wholeheartedly into all the fries, pork, corn breads & & gravies? Smile
Quote:
Mustard greens would work well.

I'll do my best to track some down. Not really confident about that, though.
I think I may have to rely on silverbeet (Swiss Chard) at this time of year, anyway.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:43 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
from my memory, Greek daily diet has a very high inclusion of "greens" perhaps Greek recipes are more readily available in Oz.

Yes, indeed, dys.
Melbourne has one of the highest Greek populations of any city in the world!
And they love their food!
Problem is, every time I ask one of the Greek (or Italian, or middle eastern) women buying those big bunches of chicory at the green grocer's ... or other completely mysterious (to me) bitter greens, how the cook it ... they all say the same thing!: "boil it, drain off the liquid, toss with olive oil & serve."
There must surely be other ways?
I'll have to keep looking, I think.
I love greens!
0 Replies