"Don't do drugs!"

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:29 am
If you mention the word “drugs”, with reference to the illegal substances people use, people almost always start thinking, “addiction”, “crime”, “ill-health” etc. Drugs are seen as things that people abuse to escape from their personal problems. I think that drugs can actually be used to aid in the solving of personal problems, but if we are always taught that drugs invariably lead to bad lifestyles, then we will never learn to use them in a positive way.

If I was to go into my clubhouse at start openly talking about drugs, people would think of me as being a low-life, idiotic drug user, and its that mentality that perpetuates this image of drugs as being invariably bad for people. Drugs have a such a bad social image, and its this immediate shooting down of drugs that will allow them to, unfairly, retain their negative image.

drugs are locked in a negative image, and its this negative image that keeps them locked inside it.

Obviously, the effects of drugs do spill over into people’s general lives, sometimes in a negative way. however that is all we are ever told, we are always given examples on the news and at school of people who have taken drugs and “ruined their lives”. The reason they have ruined their lives is that they used drugs in the only way that they have been taught to use them, and that is by abusing them.

Generally in most minds, drugs can only be abused by people. I think that drugs, or rather the use of drugs as a tool to incur an altered state of mind, can be a very beneficial experience, with long lasting positive consequences, if only we were taught how to use drugs in a way that did not imply escapism, but rather as a tool for learning about oneself.

these are just a few thoughts that I have about drugs. I just wanted to get some responses from other people because I am very passionate about this topic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,638 • Replies: 41
No top replies

George

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:46 am
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:
. . . I think that drugs can actually be used to aid in the solving of personal problems, . . .

Well, yeah. Some drugs are used to help people with various psychological
problems. But they are administered by people with a lot of training.

As for self-medication, I limit myself to alcohol and caffeine. Not that either
of these have ever helped me solve any problems. Created a few . . .
djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:51 am
i really wish they would decriminalize pot, i would much rather smoke a joint and relax than drink alcohol

the main barrier being illegality and availability, would love to be able to go to a store and buy safe pot

0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:54 am
@George,
to be more specific, drugs that are illegal and have a terribly negative image can help people very much in solving their problems. anti-depressents may mke you feel a bit better, but you don't learn anything from taking them, unlike the mind altering effects of some illegal substances.

I feel I have to anticipate that people are going to jump at the "mind altering effects" and say things like "you only seem to learn something" or some such comments as " your just hallucinating".
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:56 am
@George,
Drugs should be seen and used as a provoker of self-learning. So many hippies talk about drugs as opening them up to the “nature of the universe”, this is just stupid. Drugs should be used to help us become better people; they open us up to thoughts and feelings in a way that is unique, so I think that they provide great opportunities for us to learn things about ourselves.

The hardest thing to do however is to learn to use them in the most appropriate way, as a tool for learning, and not as an end in themselves. When drugs are used as an end in themselves, to make us feel happy for a while, then they really so serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. If drugs are used in this way, as the be all and end all, then they are being abused, and this is quite common.
engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:15 am
@existential potential,
If you talk to a local policeman he will tell you that the majority of local violent crime (75+%) is drug related, often people looking for money to buy drugs. I had a babysitter clean out my wife's jewelry box and sell the stuff to a pawn shop for less than a tenth of its worth for drug money. There are plenty of people who use recreational drugs responsibly but I think you are glossing over the downside. Could there be a better balance, sure. Do drugs "help us become better people?" Nah. If your brain is a high powered, awesome computer, going on drugs is just feeding it distorted data. Garbage in = garbage out. If drugs make you feel good and you can use them responsibly, then it seems they are similar to alcohol, an accepted social lubricant, but most people realize that you weren't profound when you put that lampshade on your head.
existential potential

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:52 am
@engineer,
this is just a sample from an article about research into illegal drugs:

"Patients given a diagnosis of cancer can feel frightened, depressed, and have intense anxiety. One of the effects of the drug (ecstasy) is to produce feelings of closeness to other people, empathy, and a sense of well being, all of which reduce anxiety. Doctors leading a clinical trial at Harvard University and its affiliated McLean Hospital say MDMA can produce effects uniquely suited to reducing anxiety from a cancer diagnosis."

this drug can reduce levels of anxiety and depression, and if taught to be used properly, it can have permanent positive effects on people, without having to be permanently on the drug.

the whole article is here:http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/could-recreational-drugs-have-health-benefits-451797.html

existential potential

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:56 am
@engineer,
that is an example of the misuse and abuse of drugs, which comes through lack of education about how drugs should be best used. drugs only distort the data if you believe that drugs are the only thing that can make you feel happy etc. if you can learn from taking drugs and apply what you experience on drugs to your whole life, then you indeed can become a better person.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:31 am
@existential potential,
Drugs given under medical supervision are not really what you are talking about here, right? There is no doubt in my mind that there are medical reasons for taking mind altering drugs.

For the aveage person, I'll stick by my opinion that getting a clear, undistorted view of the world around you allows you to come to a better understanding of life and your world. Sometimes that view is not pleasant and distorting that view might lead to happiness, but I don't agree that this leads to better insights into the human condition, etc. Understanding comes from seeing clearly. Drinking a few beers can lead to "feelings of closeness to other people, empathy, and a sense of well being", but it doesn't last and it's not real. So if someone is achieving those feelings using drugs, how will they learn to do it without that crutch? The real goal is to achieve that state without the false high.
existential potential

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:34 am
@engineer,
the feelings themselves when you are on drugs, despite that you are on drugs, are still real feelings. drugs produce new thoughts and open us up to new feelings, and the idea is to learn that feelings such as feeling close to other people do exist, and then learn to apply them to our normal lives without having to use drugs. the drugs are just a catalyst for experiencing such feelings in the first place.

Some people do find it more difficult to face up to certain aspects of life than others. drugs therefore can be used as a tool to learn to face these things, and therefore learn about yourself.The feeling that you can face up to things when on drugs is still real, and then the key is to learn to bring this into one’s life as a whole, rather than simply abusing the drug in order to feel happy for a while, you learn nothing by doing that.

engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:22 am
@existential potential,
The problem with feeling those feelings under the influence of drugs is that it is easy. In real life, you have to work hard to create those feelings. You have to spend time to cultivate relationships. What happens when you come down and realize that it will take significant, hard work to create situations in real life that mirror what came so easily under the influence especially when the option of taking another pill is right there.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:40 pm
@engineer,
I hate the feeling of being cut off from the real universe that drugs tend to give you and I mean I hate it.

To the point where doctors had gotten annoy with me for not taking pain pills that have been given me.

Once a doctor ask if after an operation if I would wish for some OC pills and I told him with a grin that I have enough of that drug store in my home from past prescriptions to keep Rush Limbraugh high for a month.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 01:49 pm
@engineer,
That's well put, engineer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:22 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I had a babysitter clean out my wife's jewelry box and sell the stuff to a pawn shop for less than a tenth of its worth for drug money.

The upside of this being that you really made a steal when you bought them back. Smile
engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 03:47 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I had a babysitter clean out my wife's jewelry box and sell the stuff to a pawn shop for less than a tenth of its worth for drug money.

The upside of this being that you really made a steal when you bought them back. Smile

The police got back about $2K worth for free. The majority was long gone. I did learn that you can buy stolen stuff super cheap at the pawn shop!
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:06 pm
@engineer,
I would say that the come down is in a sense one of the most useful parts of a drug experience. the idea is to bring those feelings into everyday life, and to think about one's life in a new way, and learn, through drugs, new ways to think about things, and then bring them into one's life in general.

if you want to re-create the same feelings that you had on drugs, then take more drugs, but if you want to learn to think about your life in a new way, then I would say that drugs are one potentially very good means for achieving that. of course you don't need drugs to think about life in a new way, but they can be a very useful tool for the purpose of thinking.

but its not about re-creating exactly what you felt when you were high, rather its about thinking in different ways and seriously pursuing new trains of thought. drugs should not be used to escape from the world and one's life, that's called drug abuse.
engineer

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:22 pm
@existential potential,
I think the likelihood of deciding to get the same feeling by resorting to more drugs is higher than someone translating epiphanies from drug highs into everyday life, but if it works for you, great. I will say that if you are in an emotional place where you can benefit from such activities, you probably didn't need them in the first place.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:12 pm
@existential potential,
A few issues with your original post :
Quote:
Drugs are seen as things that people abuse to escape from their personal problems.
Are you trying to say they aren’t used for that?
Quote:
I think that drugs can actually be used to aid in the solving of personal problems,

Most drugs have some medicinal value. And most drugs are poisons when used in quantity.

Would you like to give examples? Everyone knows the negative effects, but you fail to give an example of what you are supporting.
Quote:
but if we are always taught that drugs invariably lead to bad lifestyles,
then we will never learn to use them in a positive way.

Before you accept the second part, you will probably need to answer : Why do the drugs lead to bad lifestyles? Or, in what circumstances to drugs lead to bad lifestyles?

And, what are the positive ways you believe drugs can be used in?

Quote:
Drugs have a such a bad social image, and its this immediate shooting down of drugs that will allow them to, unfairly, retain their negative image.
You’re making a generic statement here. Are you sure such applies generically?

Quote:
Obviously, the effects of drugs do spill over into people’s general lives, sometimes in a negative way. however that is all we are ever told, we are always given examples on the news and at school of people who have taken drugs and “ruined their lives”.

This isn’t true " that is all we are ever told in the media, and by government, but not by our peers.
Quote:
The reason they have ruined their lives is that they used drugs in the only way that they have been taught to use them, and that is by abusing them.
Truly? People are taught to abuse drugs? Care to substantiate this ridiculous statement?

Quote:
I think that drugs, or rather the use of drugs as a tool to incur an altered state of mind, can be a very beneficial experience, with long lasting positive consequences, if only we were taught how to use drugs in a way that did not imply escapism, but rather as a tool for learning about oneself.
Possibly re the altered state " but again, you make the claim that we are taught to use drugs to do something (in this part " you claim we are taught to use them to escape)...who by? Our peers? How do they do the ‘teaching’.... “oh this is good **** man”? Care to substantiate this claim of yours?

Your claims are confused between what the govt/media say and what your peers say, and whether what each of them say is good or bad. Perhaps you realise it's a mixture of both. You also write as if to dismiss the negative impacts as 'minor', rather than acknowledging the legitimate problems faced by many illicit drug users. Perhaps a more balanced approach will allow people to see your view point without immediately jumping to 'but what about...'
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:20 pm
Having seen a lot of people go down on drugs, I can't find it in me to advocate for drugs. However my drug experience was almost all positive, I don't regret a thing. I did Pot pretty hard for about five years, with some acid, hash and coke thrown in. The acid was especially worthwhile, if it were not for my wife being anti-drug I would have done a lot more of it.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 04:15 am
@vikorr,
cheers for this careful response, I will reply to it properly shortly when I have more time.
0 Replies