Computer operating temps

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 10:28 am
What's the temperature operating range for computers? Can a computer operate safely in a room that is around 32 degrees F?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 802 • Replies: 5
No top replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 10:47 am
@JTT,
My question is - would you really sit and type in a room that was 32 degrees F!? Would you wear gloves - and if so - would you still be able to type?

I'm afraid I'm totally useless in terms of advising you for operating temps. in terms of the actual machines - I can only advise in terms of human fingers and their comfort levels.

I DO have a pair of fingerless gloves that I use for gardening - and those do work very nicely.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:31 am
@JTT,
The combination of the cold ambient air and the heat generated by the parts of the computer could create condensation and you'll end up with a wet and shorted out computer. i'd recommend a room temperature that's a little warmer.

However, if you are storing the pc, in power down, it's OK.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:47 am
@JTT,
Rugged computers can easily work in negative temperatures and high levels of humidity.

But not the office or home computers.

It's my experience that most of them fail at 28 °F.

They also fail at temperatures over 104 °F

Now, as Ragman noted, they can stand much higher and lower temperatures when stored..

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 05:01 pm
Thanks all.

I used to frame in -35 weather without a glove on the nail hand so it's not really all that big a deal for me to sit in a room that's around freezing, Aidan.

My bedroom is anywhere from 32F to 20F.

aidan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:32 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I used to frame in -35 weather without a glove on the nail hand so it's not really all that big a deal for me to sit in a room that's around freezing, Aidan.

Wow! Well, like I said, those fingerless gloves are really good. At first when I looked at them, I thought, 'What's the point - it's not like the palms of your hands are what get cold, and that's what they cover' - but I bought them and wear them for gardening and using my camera.
They'd also be good for using the computer because when you're not typing, but still sitting there reading or something - you can curl your fingers into the glove and warm them up.
Quote:
My bedroom is anywhere from 32F to 20F.

You should also make sure you eat enough calories - you can lose weight before you even realize it when you spend a lot of time in a really cold environment.

(sorry - I'll stop acting like your mother now) Laughing
0 Replies