So, you Kindle people...is it worth it?

ehBeth

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:46 pm
@dlowan,
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134897271/cheaper-than-a-tablet-rooting-your-e-reader&sc=nl&cc=nh-20110327

Quote:
The Amazon Kindle has 3G data connectivity so that readers can download e-books anywhere there is cell service. As many Kindle owners know, the device can connect to Google and Wikipedia to look up things mentioned in e-books, too. That connectivity is all the opportunity hackers need to turn an e-book reader into a tablet.

"This is something that is starting to get around in geek and hacker circles, and it's a relatively cheap way to have Internet anywhere you go," Altman says.

When Altman says it's cheap, he's referring to the fact that the 3G Kindle costs a mere $190 and there is no charge for the 3G Internet.
ehBeth

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:48 pm
@dlowan,
This has been useful, as I just discovered that I can use the PDA Set gave me years ago as an e-reader! I'm going to have to charge the battery on that sucker and load in some books for transit reading.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:54 pm
@ehBeth,
And their 3G is FAST!!!!!
DrewDad

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:11 pm
@dlowan,
Kindle reader for Android is really cool. I love all of the free books.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:21 pm
@dlowan,
you gonna root yur kindle bunny?
dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:41 pm
@dadpad,
Not in the traditional sense, no.
dadpad

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:44 pm
@dlowan,
Digital rooting can be fun too
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:16 pm
Now that I've read extensively on both an iPad and a Kindle all I can say is that the Kindle is almost there. There are a few very frustrating things about it (though I'll still use it):

1) The page turning buttons are annoyingly placed. Hard to hold without flipping pages.

2) For that matter all the buttons are, this thing has little room to hold without touching the screen or buttons.

3) The cost of getting a good light to use (since it's not backlit) is often expensive (the case with a light for the kindle that I bought is about half the price of the kindle itself) and is not very convenient (to need a led light hanging on the kindle to read at night).

IMO they keyboard should be slide-out (I never use it other than to setup the kindle the first time), making it easier to hold somewhere where there are no buttons and the light should be built into the kindle (around the bezel of the screen, like some stopwatches).

But it does it's job and it's a better experience in many other ways (like battery life and lack of distractions) to reading on an iPad.
dlowan

Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I find I have become accustomed to the buttons and can hold the thing without pushing them.

I find the weeniness of the keyboard letters annoying when I am checking the Kindle store from the Kindle.

The expense of the cases is ridiculously high, I agree.

I am trying to find something I already have to protect the Kindle when I am carrying it around, or leaving it somewhere, because it is quite fragile.

It does need some light to read by, but I find it fine with my low energy light bulbs.

Amazon sent me my new Kindle by priority mail when mine broke, did not charge for it, and refunded the cost of emailing the old one back to them.

They also set up the new Kindle with my whole library for me and handled the complexities that came with my having picked up the original one in the USA (who knew there would be a number of complexities?)

0 Replies

cliffwill88

Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:41 pm
@dlowan,
Have you tried e-book?
dlowan

Fri 27 Apr, 2012 01:28 am
@cliffwill88,
Not sure what you mean. Is that an e-reader.

I have a Sony one that I haven't used for ages.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 30 May, 2018 05:41 am
Stumbled on to this old thread. Just wanted to say that paper retains scores of advantages not mentioned above. Eg durability (books don't break easily, kindles do); afordability (generally); ease of access; no need for electric power; capacity to shape/transform the physical object (annotate, mark, fold, cut, etc.); reading on paper is better for your eyes; potential for meaningful gifts (offering an Amazon code as a gift just doesn't do the same thing); better protection of intellectual property (you can rip an e-book and share it as pdf for free, but it's a lot harder to photocopy an entire paper book); etc. etc.
0 Replies

manpreetrockerji

Sat 18 Sep, 2021 02:09 am
@dlowan,
i think it is worth it especially if you travel alot it is of great use
0 Replies

Doma44

Thu 14 Oct, 2021 09:01 am
I've been going back and forth on this for over a year. I was given a Kindle a year ago but returned it unused; there were many reviews at that time saying, wait until the next model or the one after that, and wait to see who jumps in as competition. There were definite drawbacks...can't page back quickly to find something you just read and want to check on; no backlight; can't use this device if you have been told to turn off electronic devices while you are on a plane (e.g., when you are stuck on the tarmac in a queue to take off, and it can be an hour); hard to read gray-on-gray screen.

A big plus for me would be that you can get all major newspapers downloaded on some of the new readers; a negative trumping that plus is that many books are not available on the Kindle or on other e-readers. So...when I go abroad, do I take my Kindle AND a book in carry-on luggage? This is what I was trying to avoid by buying a Kindle. Can you download while outside of the US or must you download anything you want before you leave? Last I heard, you must download before leaving US.

Still dithering but I wouldn't buy it, or hint to anyone who asks, until the market shakes out a bit.
engineer

Thu 14 Oct, 2021 11:34 am
@Doma44,
You can use a number of devices as e-readers. I have a Samsung tablet, my wife has an Amazon fire, my daughter an Ipad. It doesn't have to be a Kindle, but if you want to read ebooks, there is no need to wait, there are lots of affordable options and the next generation might have a prettier screen but for reading books it won't make a difference.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 14 Oct, 2021 12:34 pm
@Doma44,
Quote:
can't use this device if you have been told to turn off electronic devices while you are on a plane

This is not quite true - they tell you to turn off electronic devices such as those with wifi - all you need to do is have your device on airplane mode and you can use it (same as your cell phone and computer). If your book is downloaded then you can you read it in airplane mode - similar to someone that downloads a movie or tv show on their computer or phone.

I had a kindle previously - I was always a hard book type of person, but my kids knowing how much I like to read chipped in with their dad to buy me a kindle - I ended up loving it - that was maybe 5 years ago. I love to be able to download books from library without going there - you can also expand your library network to broader libraries without traveling many many miles.

Then my kids bought me an amazon fire or whatever the heck the amazon version is - it is better but probably just because the technology improved. Being a prime member I also have a broad library in which I can get books for free. Yeah you have to pay for some, but there are so many books to choose from - unless I really want a particular title I don't pay anything - I also view movies on it and it has a good picture.

Yeah I am sold on these electronic versions now.
0 Replies

zerojack

Sat 1 Oct, 2022 05:00 pm
@dlowan,
I didn't think so. Just FYI.
0 Replies

BenTen123

Wed 28 Dec, 2022 06:31 am
Everyone has to make money, in my opinion that's mega cool.
0 Replies