So, you Kindle people...is it worth it?

squinney

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:59 am
This thread started almost a year ago. I'm wondering what has happened with newer devices, services, availability and pricing.

The ipad has always looked awkwardly sized to me. But then, I would want something that would do everything (web access, read books, phone, printer,alarm clock, coffee brewer, etc, if such a thing were available all in one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:17 am
@sozobe,
I'd recommend it over an iPad just for reading, definitely

But I don't un-want my iPad, I just want a kindle too, now.

This new one is apparently thinner and lighter than previous kindles, Squinney.

It's an elegant little tempter, that's what it is

Fie upon't for its wantonness!!!!!!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:33 pm
Hi.

Someone please explain what they know about sharing ebooks on the Kindle and/or Nook with respect to both functionality and any legal gray area. I am working on a proposal to integrate electronic readers with a corporate library of over 5,000 holdings and am familiar with the published specs, but some insight into sharing limits would be helpful.

Both the Kindle and Nook allow items to be shared once, for up to 14 days. While in theory this means two employees requiring the same text (and this often happens) can be accommodated simultaneously, most useful texts demand more than two-weeks' attention. A more likely scenario is that one employee would read the ebook at his leisure and then pass the device on to the other--um, just like with a regular book. What would be ideal is if we could apply a single account to multiple devices; after all, we have a single account for regular book purchases. But obviously Amazon has the agency to control electronic sharing and protect their money, so I very much doubt this is possible.

Are there any other solutions you can think of? For example, I could integrate with the library catalog the desktop software that enables you to read your ebook on a computer, but would this work? Could all employees with the password for that account access all downloaded materials? How many lawyers will I need if I implement this solution?

Thanks.
sozobe

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 01:55 pm
@Gargamel,
I'm not sure enough of the nuances to know if this applies to your situation, but I just read something about Amazon requiring that libraries "renew" (pay again for) their e-books after some interval.

Here we go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/business/media/15libraries.html

Quote:
For years, public libraries building their e-book collections have typically done so with the agreement from publishers that once a library buys an e-book, it can lend it out, one reader at a time, an unlimited number of times.

Last week, that agreement was upended by HarperCollins Publishers when it began enforcing new restrictions on its e-books, requiring that books be checked out only 26 times before they expire. Assuming a two-week checkout period, that is long enough for a book to last at least one year.

So not really annually, 26 times, however long that takes.
Gargamel

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:56 pm
@sozobe,
Interesting, thanks. I think this corporate library might fly under the radar.

In the meantime I've learned that you can use up to six devices for one account with respect to both Kindle and Nook.

Which means they should be useful.
dlowan

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:52 am
@Gargamel,
My Kindle broke!

I feel lost.

But they'll replace it..though they have to get mine before they refund my money for the new one.

And it complicated things that I picked it up in the US...I may now need to pay duty.

Still, cool service really.
0 Replies

MorganBieber

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:44 am
@dlowan,
nope i wouldnt use one.
dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:00 am
@MorganBieber,
Welcome.

I hope to be using my new one by Monday!
farmerman

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:40 pm
@dlowan,
Ive been using a NOOK which is much like A kindle except its more "open source" and theres a neat trick with which to turn it into a PDA
djjd62

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:43 pm
@farmerman,
interesting, i like my ipod touch for books, so far my eyesight is still up to the job
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
What's a PDA?
sozobe

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:17 pm
@dlowan,
Public display of affection.

I guess farmerman's been making out with his Nook.

(Or maybe he meant Personal Digital Assistant -- the old-timey things like Palm Pilots.)
dadpad

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

What's a PDA?

Public Display (of) Affection

Girls like PDA... boys not so much. I have heard teen girls discusssing the reletive merits of their respective boys capacity for PDA. There seemed to be some kind of ranking system. Surprisingly holding hands was worth more than osculatory marathons.
dadpad

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:18 pm
@sozobe,
Hi five Soz.
sozobe

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:20 pm
@dadpad,
http://www.topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/internet-high-five.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:21 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

dlowan wrote:

What's a PDA?

Public Display (of) Affection

Girls like PDA... boys not so much. I have heard teen girls discusssing the reletive merits of their respective boys capacity for PDA. There seemed to be some kind of ranking system. Surprisingly holding hands was worth more than osculatory marathons.

Oh...been the opposite for me. Very tactile men in public...me not so much,
ehBeth

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:22 pm
@sozobe,
lots of articles in digital news media about how to root kindles with pda apps - apparently it's making a little ding in the love of all things ipad - ipad function at about one-third the cost
dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Got a url?
ehBeth

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:39 pm
@dlowan,
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-150.html

(if they're replacing your kindle with the newest upgrade, you may be getting more functions already without having to do the work yourself)
dlowan

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you!

Yes, there has been a software upgrade put out since I bought my old one.

I should have the new one maybe tomorrow!!!!