So, you Kindle people...is it worth it?

kennethamy

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

It's about to be released for Australia.

The damn books will cost about 40% more than they do in the US.

A number of other companies seem poised to release a similar device...

But...I really want to be able to access books without having any MORE of them taking over my house.

So...what do people think?

I have a Kindle, and I think it is great. You can get a lot of free books, and very low-priced books quite easily. For instance, from Project Gutenberg. And a lot of other places. Amazon has them too. Go for it. You won't regret it.
djjd62

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:29 am
@dlowan,
with talks of limiting bandwidth (not an issue where i am, yet) more folks are realizing the need to secure wireless networks
djjd62

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:42 am
@kennethamy,
there's lots of free legal books around the net as well, check out publishers websites, they often post free e books or stories for a limited amount of time (Tor.com a sci-fi publisher is one, their Suvudu affiliate posts older and new books as free e books on a regular basis)
Robert Gentel

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:04 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
But if I go with Wi fi only ipad, don't I have to pay for Wi fi access?

No, you can also just connect it to you computer and sync if you don't have a wireless router.

Quote:
There are literally only a couple of places here I can do it for free...and 3G has been a blessing on my iphone for this reason.

Yeah, but with the kindle I'd just use it for reading and I don't mind not being able to buy books (the only part you need the internet for) on the go (and you can always buy them on your iphone kindle app on the go if you really need it).

Quote:
You're right, the kindle does work here...but they talk of download charges.

The bottom line is that after buying the kindle the only thing you need to spend money on is the books (and there are free books too). The nice connectivity is just a convenience, you can always buy the books on your PC and sync them using a cable to the kindle.
dlowan

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Would you see an ipad with only synching net ability as any good though? You initially suggested I get the cheap ipad (no 3G) instead of the kindle.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:31 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

with talks of limiting bandwidth (not an issue where i am, yet) more folks are realizing the need to secure wireless networks

Limiting bandwidth>?
dlowan

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:31 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

there's lots of free legal books around the net as well, check out publishers websites, they often post free e books or stories for a limited amount of time (Tor.com a sci-fi publisher is one, their Suvudu affiliate posts older and new books as free e books on a regular basis)

I have a bunch of free classics on my iphone.
0 Replies

djjd62

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:52 pm
@dlowan,
some providers limit the amount one can download in a specific period, use it up and you can't download or you must pay for more

dlowan

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:19 pm
@djjd62,
Oh...well, yeah. I never reach my limit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I knew there was something more obvious.

I think the idea would be to download it onto your computer, and then when you sync it's on your iPad for use whenever you want it.

Which would be pretty useful I think, only real drawback I see is not being able to spontaneously download stuff when you're out and about. But you could still have a good library on the iPad and then spontaneously read anything that's already there when you're out and about.
dlowan

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:53 pm
@sozobe,
yes...but if I get an ipad, I want to be able to do net stuff with it when I am not at home...so I'll save up for the one with 3G rather than go without.
sozobe

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:39 pm
@dlowan,
Ah. That makes sense.
dlowan

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:01 am
@sozobe,
Oh my!! Just had Amazon phone me, and they said the kindle I want should be in NYC by mid to late September.

An extremely kind A2ker has agreed to take delivery for me, and I shall pick it up when I get there, all going well!!!
sozobe

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:45 am
@dlowan,
Hooray!!!
dlowan

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:04 am
@sozobe,
So...now I have the kindle and it's SO cute...and I have to give it away!!!!!
djjd62

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:07 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
So...now I have the kindle and it's SO cute...and I have to give it away!!!!

ummm, why
dlowan

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:25 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

dlowan wrote:
So...now I have the kindle and it's SO cute...and I have to give it away!!!!

ummm, why

Because I bought an iPad instead and I bought this kindle as a thank you gift for one of the people who heroically and generously agreed to look after my very old and delicate cat for over six weeks while I am overseas

A cat who has to be given a daily pill
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:27 am
ah, i see, must have missed that along the way
dlowan

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:31 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

ah, i see, must have missed that along the way

The devil is tempting me.....he is saying. "buy Kevin another kindle....buy Kevin the cook book he asked for...". The good me says. "but he looked sooooo wistful when I asked him if he wanted a kindle...he only said he didn't want it because he thought it was too much for you to spend...and you're not ALLOWED and you cannot afford to buy another thing as well as an iPad..."

The kindle is so light and thin....the iPad is clunky and heavy to read from lying down
sozobe

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:54 am
@dlowan,
Oh really? So you'd recommend the Kindle over an iPad?

Just for reading, if so, or in general?