Individualism

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
Using Henry David Thoreau as an example:
Please read John Stuart Mill's Utilitarinism and Science and Ethics by ... the name is exscaping me right now...
Accpeting the GHP, is it justifiable to not set up a Jeremy Bentham styled gov't to act as a source of pleasure/pain to help govern the actions of people? Is individualism a valid pursuit? Is it a logical necessity on the grounds presented in Science and Ethics? I'd really like to get this forum going again, because it was great the first time. Is anyone still here?

In essence,
Second Socrates
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,046 • Replies: 6
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:31 am
Re: Individualism
SecondSocrates wrote:
Please read John Stuart Mill's Utilitarinism and Science and Ethics by ... the name is exscaping me right now...

I stopped accepting homework assignments when I graduated from school.

SecondSocrates wrote:
Accpeting the GHP, is it justifiable to not set up a Jeremy Bentham styled gov't to act as a source of pleasure/pain to help govern the actions of people?

Could you please frame this in the form of a comprehensible question.

SecondSocrates wrote:
Is individualism a valid pursuit? Is it a logical necessity on the grounds presented in Science and Ethics?

I have no idea. Who wrote Science and Ethics?
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:48 am
The topic proposed by socrates II appears to be rather extensive, and I feel a bit lost about where to start. But anyway, socrates II put up several questions which could be basically summarized in two: first, whether it is justified to establish a Benthemian Gov't, and second, whether or in what ways the pursuit of individualism is a justified enterprise.

Picking up the first question, I will give the following comments.

The government fashioned in the way as proposed by Bentham is a de facto authoritarian government. The purpose of a government, thought Bentham, is to secure the happiness of the society as a whole, and happiness of particular individuals, if conflicting with that of the society, will be curtailed. The imposition of the happiness of the society upon those who dissent is a distinct trait of an authoritarian government.

Turning to the second question, I would say from an intuitive standpoint the cause of individualism is by all means justified. However, whereas individualism unfetters people from a cage arbitrarily put up by the privileged, its inexorable force to disintegrate the society brings along with it some of the intractable problems exposing the society to the unfathomable perils. To weather all the potential crises, individualism has to be qualified, as those efforts made by those who advocate communitarianism.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:20 pm
Individualism as applied to what? That's really too broad a category.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:32 pm
I am, certainly, an Otherist.
Otherism is a very attractive philosophy.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:43 pm
I am a platonist (idealist).

(In some circumstance my claim can deviate from the idealistic proposition but the latter is the frame of reference).
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:41 pm
I'm an iconoclastic, misanthropic sociopath.
Fit me in wherever you like.
0 Replies