THE MEANING OF "TO SKYPE", and other puter frases

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 03:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
Im having my ghastings flabbered. In the space of one short summer in which I spent time on a boat more than on land, we missed this little techy rollout. I suppose that Vonage is a platorm for "Skyping" since it seems to follow the MO.

If I skype from my computer I need a better 2 way mic and a camera to optimize. Will I do it? not sure.
Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
I started uasing Skype to connect my new vidcam-mic's video and audio to converse with a new friend in England. The connection quality is just fine and it's free. No traffic issues...or lost connection.

We also used Stickcam (free service) to teleconference with 3 others simultaneously. what a country!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman,
Skype has been around for years, at least I've been using it for at least 4 years.
You don't really need a camera, I just happen to have one built into my computer and you don't need a headset either if you have a good built in mic
in the computer. All you need to do is download skype and start....
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:52 pm
@farmerman,
Vonage is a competing VOIP provider, but as far as I know they don't provide the peer to peer free connections that Skype does.

Skype is like a combination of VOIP (like Vonage) and an internet chat service with voice/video.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im having my ghastings flabbered. In the space of one short summer in which I spent time on a boat more than on land, we missed this little techy rollout. I suppose that Vonage is a platorm for "Skyping" since it seems to follow the MO.

If I skype from my computer I need a better 2 way mic and a camera to optimize. Will I do it? not sure.

We bought one (camera with microphone) for my mother-in-law for $17.50. It works perfectly fine.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
clear as mud there Robt. Assume that, for discussion purposes, that I am totally ignorant of the meaning and origin of "skype", the acronym "VOIP" and the others. Id love a quick explanation. What Ive gotten here is a number of testimonials as to the wonder of the service(s).
Shapeless

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
That I did not know. I'll have to try that now....

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. It's called SkypeIn. It's not free but not expensive either: $18 to have the number for 3 months or $60 for a year.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 08:07 pm
@farmerman,
VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol. Basically, it means internet telephony. The main advantages of it are that the old world telephone networks charge much higher prices than you could get for the same data over internet protocols.

Vonage is one of the most famous providers of this kind of service, Skype is too, but they are more famous for a free offering they have that just works with other skype members (voice chat).

So most people use skype in the same way they'd use an IM (instant messaging) program like AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, or Yahoo. They can text chat other skype members, and even do voice and video calls. Most other IM offerings can do the same, but Skype also lets you pay very low rates (cents a minute) for skype to phone calls and phone to skype calls.

So I use it on an actual desktop phone, that's plugged into the internet. But you can try it free with other skype members (it only costs money to call regular phone numbers or to receive calls from phones).
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:09 am
@Robert Gentel,
I thank you. I will look into this for familial communications. (I was tak=lking to a friend who uses a VOIP to connect with three kids who are in college or working in different parts of the country. He says it is a big savings.

Phone companies are pist no?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Phone companies are pist no?

Phone companies, and the common carrier laws that govern them, are complete bullshit. So are cable companies.

Can't wait till they are all obsolete.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Id agree that standard phone companies are acting within a business model that is rapidly becoming obsolete. Will they move fast enough to revive their own enterprise or will they become another conestoga wagon wheel company.
0 Replies