Lost the password of admin panel

ozexec

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:38 pm
I have lost the password of admin panel of my phplinkdirectory site. Is there any possibility to retrieve it by cpanel. Someone told me that it is possible if you edit the database in cpanel. Username and password would be somewhere inside the database. However I dont know how to do it. Any help is appreciated.. Thanks..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 998 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 11:21 pm
@ozexec,
It should be possible, but I don't know the db structure off the top of my head and don't have an phplinkdirectory install handy to look it up.

But the basic steps are:

1) login to the db, using a tool like phpmyadmin
2) find where the password is stored. It may be in a "users" table, or a settings table
3) Check to see if the password is stored in plaintext (with would be a security risk so it's unlikely) if so, you can just edit the password there
4) If it's hashed, try common formats like md5, you'll want to generate a hash of the password you want to use (you can find md5 generators through a search engine) and then update the db to use your new hashed password
0 Replies