personality

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:37 pm
I believe personality is a combination of genetics and life experience.
Rufio believes personality is not influenced by genetics.
What do you think forms personality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,429 • Replies: 31
No top replies

rufio

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:42 pm
Jeebus, the other argument is only just winding down. Let me finish my midterms before we start another one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
I voted for both genetics and life experience. Gotta go make pizza now, but I'll get back to this with more extrapolation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:08 pm
What's that?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:12 pm
It means I'm gonna think about it and get back to you. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:17 pm
Try to put it into bookkeeping language?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:21 pm
debits vs credits plus aged accounts
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
I think Dys put that quite nicely.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 06:28 pm
OH! That means I can at least record one when I find it.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:27 pm
I think it's life influences. Because Conan O'Brien, Jack Black, Chris Farely, The Simpsons, and Family Guy all had influence in my personality. They made me want to dance!!!

FLIGGA GOO GOO, FLIGGA GOO GOO!!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:07 pm
Just about anyone who has more than one child knows that they are each born with a unique personality, so genetics plays a big role. Experiences can be positive or negative reinforcements for the way personality is expressed, behavior can be modified through training, and drugs can alter mental states as well.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:58 am
Actually this poll gives me an opportunity to vent a bit.

I'm a bit fed up with people trying to use genetics as a reason for just about everything!

I realize that many diseases have a genetic component, but there are a few things that lifestyle can also contribute to.

I remember something I said in a college biology class to a prof:"We may have the number of fat cells we have determined at birth, but whether we fill them up is up to us".
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:13 am
I voted genetics and life experience. I don't believe people can just blame their genes.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:43 am
Wilso:

All the evidence says that you are not "stuck" with your personality-----you can change it---why not go for it? Cool Laughing

That way you won't have to blame your genes :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:57 am
For some, "genes" are their personality....remember Fonzie? Laughing
0 Replies

scottishlady

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:46 pm
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:23 pm
Terry, are you trying to say that when you have multiple children, they each have exactly the same experiences growing up?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:49 pm
scottishlady wrote:

woah, woah. Dog **** comes from dogs, and sunshine comes from a giant gassy sort of burning planet-like thing. I would say that genes give the predisposition (like in behaviorism but not that extreme) and life circumstances give opportunity to use or not use that predisposition.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:05 pm
Ack! Too many similar debates going on here at A2K....I am going with Portal Star here. We are born with certain traits, and then we are socialized, for better or worse. Let's say a 'tainted' soul is born into the world, a la Jeffrey Dahmer. Now, his parents never did the horrid things he did, and it seems they were pretty decent parents, to the best of their abilities. Did something go wrong with the socialization there, or was Dahmer just 'born bad'? I choose to believe that like it or not, the parents had to have some hand in the creation of this monster.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:41 pm
rufio, of course children have different experiences in life, and birth order is one of the variables that affect what they experience. But as I said before, babies exhibit distinct personalities from birth, BEFORE they have enough experiences to shape them.
0 Replies