Recipe for a river! MMMMmm MMMmm Delicious!

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 12:50 pm
Science Friday Video Podcast:
Recipe for a meandering river! MMMMmm MMMmm Intellectually Delicious!
Quote:
Scientists have been trying to create a meandering river in the lab for nearly 100 years. Christian Braudrick and Bill Dietrich of University of California, Berkeley, have finally found a recipe. The researchers reported the finding this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Go into the lab to see the mini meandering river flow.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,048 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 03:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Scientists have been trying to create a meandering river in the lab for nearly 100 years.

This is probably a stupid question, but why, per above?

Is there some practical reason for creating such? For fish habitat?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 03:26 pm
@Reyn,
Far from a stupid question. Smile

Quote:
fish habitat

I believe you've hit it right on the nose. What during the interview, the lady called stream restoration. I guess to repair rivers and streams damaged by man and development in order to help fish populations grow.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 06:03 am
@tsarstepan,
Stream "repair" has been an example of overengineering for many years. The US Army Corps has much time and money invested in keeping rivers in their engineered banks , and the dynamics of the ultimate shape of a meandering wtream (one that is called "mature") often results in the Corps just rip rapping a straight channel to go up to a point just past a city or rural area, and then the stream, using all this pent up energy, will start carving meanders that cut into adjacent propereties.

By not ******* with mother natures ability , or better yet, learning to understand and design projects (Like bridges and riparian features) that exist naturally within the streams cross section is desirable.

The Corps of Engineers has pretty much screwed with the Mississippi, and the Missouri Rivers so t5hat they are overengineered with these god awful levees that really dont work past the project areas they were designed to protect.

Major Universities have geomorphology and geotechnical labs where these stream dynamics are studied and many graduate geotech engineers and geomorphologists are cranked out.
The lastest flavor of stream stabilization and bank repairs are a series of books by a fellow name of Rosgen. I thimk his work is crp, but he seems to have a decent audience who buy into his stuff.

Stream "repair" is job security for areas where its often not warranted
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:51 am
@farmerman,
I suspected as such. I guess I don't know enough on the subject so I just took the story at face value.

Interesting history, the hubris and follies of engineers and such.
0 Replies