did my insurance agent lie to me?

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:53 am
Would you please explain the following details in my policy (Industrial Special Risks ) as soon as possible? Am I insured in case of earthquake as the deductible of earthquake was only mentioned in the section of deductibles? Am I insured in case of fire if the word ‘ fire’ was NEVER mentioned in my policy EXCEPT in the following details ? My agent told me that both were insured. Is it true?
Accidental damage ( as defined below )
Any peril or event (except fire; earthquake; implosion etc) not more specifically mentioned under any other sub-limit in this schedule nor specifically excluded by this policy but this sub-limit doesn’t apply to money.
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,194 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:19 am
@annmackay,
There's no good way to tell this without reading the entire policy.

If your agent lied to you, or if you think s/he did, contact your state's Insurance Commissioner. An agent's license can be suspended or lost for such shenanigans.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:32 am
@annmackay,
In California, the only option for earthquake insurance is a State of California government policy. Yes, that's right, a "public option," as insurance companies are unwilling to underwrite earthquake damage. Hmmm---remind you of anything else?

BTW, in Southern California, I see the insurance companies doing the same thing with wild fires. The insurance to live in these areas, even thought the property costs are lower (not the building cost, of course), the insurance rates for fire are sky-high.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 01:04 pm
@annmackay,
You probably are covered for these risks. Keep in mind that anything that is ambiguous in the policy would be decided in your favor.
High Seas

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:15 pm
@annmackay,
Call your agent and ask him to please confirm what he said in writing (email is OK) because you're not certain if the actual contract wording exactly corresponds to his oral assurances. Do it now, don't wait for a fire. If you're embarassed to ask, say you're thinking of selling / leasing the property (industrial? no in-house counsel?) or sub-letting part of it and the real estate agent needs to know exactly so that any prospective tenants / lessees can be told to obtain supplementary insurance.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:41 pm
@Advocate,
If it is ambiguous, the abbiguity is probably not accidental. Now, remember who wrote the policy. Hint - it was not the insured.
0 Replies