Every once in a while my laptop shuts off andwhen I start it back up I get a message in DOS.

lisag

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:23 pm
The message says there is an error with a file system. The file name is FAT32. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. How can I fix this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 967 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:27 pm
@lisag,
FAT32 is not a file name, it is the name of the way that information is organized on your hard drive.

I will let Robert, or one of the other Windows guys tell you what to do. You might want to post which version of windows you are using.

I will say... if there is anything important on this computer, back it up right now.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:51 pm
Back up your important files to CD removable disk or a portable drive.

<Start/run> type in chkdsk /r then press (Enter)
note the space between Chkdsk and /r
A black window will open and chkdsk will probably not run, so, schedule it to the next reboot.
Restart your system and let it perform.
0 Replies

lisag

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 06:46 am
I have Windows xp.......does that make a difference where your instructions are concerned? I guess you can tell by now, I don't know very much about computers.
0 Replies

lisag

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 06:49 am
Thanks for your help guys.........I'm gonna try that now. I will let you know what happened.
0 Replies

lisag

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
So when I ran the chedsk /r it ran the same check it does when I start it up after it shut down in the first place. The only difference is this time it says Windows has finished verifying and found no problems. I'm stumped.

I would also like to know if there is a way to do a restore back to the way it was when I first bought it without the restore disc as I cannot find it. I believe I bought it just over 3 years or four years ago, the gentle at the store I went to said to try alt + F10, and then said my laptop my be too old for that shortcut.

Thanks again
0 Replies