Vote for your Olympic Games Host

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Well, I would say too that it was a miscalculation.

Like Paris vs. London before Wink
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It was not a miscalculation as our president didn't interfere...

We probably were not the best candidate..
Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@georgeob1,
You're right, asswipe. Months of serious deliberation by the IOC--wherein they weighed financing, facilities, transportation--was ultimately forgotten and a last- second decision to reject Chicago was made simply because you don't like Obama.

And speaking of "an absence of any inclination to take firm action in the face of real threats," did ******* Beijing not just host the Olympics? Are your rational faculties working adequately? Am I stringing together rhetorical questions to make a point?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Well, I would say too that it was a miscalculation.

So what?

Have you never miscalculated?

Yes I have. However, I thought this one was an ill-timed, fool's errand from the start. It reflected a fairly obvious lack of what in flying we used to call 'situational awareness', and it reinforced a number of salient adverse perceptions. Not a smart move for one whose job is to exercise power in high stakes matters, and unhappily suggestive of an emerging pattern of such things.

Walter appears to be a little uncharacteristically irritable. Is it the recent fate of the SDP?
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:04 am
George wrote:
Is it the recent fate of the SDP?

Could be, George.

But take care, dyslexia ( not Bob) is getting you..
Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:04 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It reflected a fairly obvious lack of what in flying we used to call 'situational awareness', and it reinforced a number of salient adverse perceptions.

What a circuitous way of communicating nothing.

What specific matters should Obama have been aware of and, had they been noted, what steps should he have taken to avoid this "disaster"?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:06 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

It was not a miscalculation as our president didn't interfere...

We probably were not the best candidate..

Quote:
July, 4, 2005
Paris. The French President Jacques Chirac left Paris on Monday evening to defend Paris' candidature to host the 2012 Olympic Games before the International Olympic Committee ( IOC), Chirac's office said.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:09 am
I have it on good authority that Obama didn't show up to the IOC because he's ashamed of America and doesn't love us.

Oh.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:12 am
So Obama wasted a trip to Denmark. So what? It's not like he did something completely futile, like inviting Republican congressional leaders to the White House to talk about health care reform.
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, I didn't notice his trip therefore I was wrong.
It didn't make the headlines here..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:19 am
@Francis,
It didn't, indeed: the 26th report on "24 heures" of that day, just 1:01 min ... Wink
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:22 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Nothing to you, perhaps. However, we must all live our lives within the linits imposed by our abilities.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:22 am
I heard it's Rio? Is it true? Is it true?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:24 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

George wrote:
Is it the recent fate of the SDP?

Could be, George.

But take care, dyslexia ( not Bob) is getting you..

Incisive as always .... OK SPD.

I think Bob is after me too.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:25 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Walter appears to be a little uncharacteristically irritable. Is it the recent fate of the SDP?

Walter,
Georgeob has been making a joke all along. Now I realize he was trying to be humorous by making a sports issue into a political one.

Good one, georgeob!
Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:30 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Gargamel wrote:

Nothing to you, perhaps. However, we must all live our lives within the linits imposed by our abilities.

I humbly admit that I am unable to read minds. Or tolerate pretentious verbosity.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:31 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

So Obama wasted a trip to Denmark. So what? It's not like he did something completely futile, like inviting Republican congressional leaders to the White House to talk about health care reform.

On the contrary - in terms of the IOC selection criteria; the physical and political details surrounding the Chicago properties in question; the international competition; and the atmospherics of the international situation, patricularly among the key competitors ... it was very futile indeed.

Sort of like electing to go to trial when you (a) don't have a case; and (b) probably will face an unfriendly jury.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:32 am
@georgeob1,
Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:34 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Sort of like electing to go to trial when you (a) don't have a case; and (b) probably will face an unfriendly jury.

Oh, he's done that too.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:38 am
Gargamel wrote:
Or tolerate pretentious verbosity.

What seems to be sometimes pretentious verbosity, is the only way well trained people express themselves.

Nothing you should bother about...
0 Replies