Vote for your Olympic Games Host

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:23 am
You'll never catch me alive!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:29 am
RIO DEFINATELY. chICAGO'S GOT ENOUGH ON ITS PLATE . Theyll have to reconfigure all the weight classes in one design sailboat racing because of the cold fresh water.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:31 am
chicago out
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:31 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Joefromchicago and I know what Gargamel looks like. If anything bad happens, we will stop him.

Speak for yourself.

Run! Run, you crazy, fruit-flavored drink! Run as fast your stubby little legs will carry you! Oh YEAH!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:35 am
Quote:
AP NewsAlert
(AP) " 8 minutes ago

COPENHAGEN " Chicago is eliminated in first round of voting for the 2016 Olympics.
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:39 am
@wandeljw,
Ya know, the worlds gonna end in 2012 anyway. Dont make any long term plans . Buy a San Juan yatch NOW.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:46 am
Hmmm. How do I explain the bittersweet twinge in my heart? Silly Chicago pride, slither back into your hole.

I think it was the chubby, fey man in his orange Chicago 2016 t-shirt near tears on the local news. He said he feels, "totally deflated," and for a second I wished we won the bid just so he could have the best day evar. I could walk to the plaza now and give him a hug. There's still time.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:50 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Quote:
AP NewsAlert
(AP) " 8 minutes ago

COPENHAGEN " Chicago is eliminated in first round of voting for the 2016 Olympics.

Yaaaaaayyyyyy
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:13 am
So let's forget that I'm an Obama apologist for a moment. I know it's a stretch, but humor me.

Can we not say **** like, "What a huge embarrassment for the President." I'm already hearing that. By a lameass in my office, sure, but still. Is Obama to blame for an infrastructure not ideal for hosting the world? No.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

So let's forget that I'm an Obama apologist for a moment. I know it's a stretch, but humor me.

Can we not say **** like, "What a huge embarrassment for the President." I'm already hearing that. By a lameass in my office, sure, but still. Is Obama to blame for an infrastructure not ideal for hosting the world? No.

Hope you told 'em off.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:25 am
This, mine from another thread ....

I just read that Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting by the esteemed Olympics selection committee -- despite the president's highly touted "diplomacy', apologizing and ass-kissing.

Could it be that others in the world don't see the Chicago cesspool from which our president emerged as the shining city on the hill that he touts it to be?

Could it be that the real world in which we live doesn't have much respect for vapid rhetoric; endless apologies and assurances that all will be made well; and the clear absence of any inclination to take firm action in the face of real threats.

Could it be that the superficial esteem of the international chattering class doesn't really count for much after all?

Very clearly this was at very least a serious miscalculation by our president.

The points are quite ovbiously valid, however, Cyclo didn't like it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:28 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

The points are quite ovbiously valid, however, Cyclo didn't like it.

Declaring your own points (which were nothing more than your own opinions) to be 'quite obviously valid' is a meaningless statement, George. Especially given the fact that, per your usual, they are substance-less assertions with no real information presented other than your disdain for Obama and the so-called 'chattering classes.'

Cycloptichcorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:30 am
@georgeob1,
Yes, it all looks as if the delegates liked Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva better than the US president, the Japanese PM and the Spanish king ... Or is it perhaps Juan Carlos? We'll know in a couple of minutes.

Is this the first time you've noticed that procedure for the Olympic Games, George?
georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There is no established "procedure' for such feckless lobbying by heads of state with far more serious and urgent matters to attend to. No President of this country has done this before. As a minimum it indicates a serious miscalculation of the situation ... and on a relatively unimportant matter.

I try to avoid passing judgements on the activities of the King of Spain.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:35 am
@georgeob1,
You turn Chicago elimination from an international contest into domestic politics, George.

Not really fair play, as other criteria are in play here than Obama's prestige or diplomacy.

Chicago was not simply the best candidate for numerous reasons..

The fact that the US had Atlanta (and LA) a few years ago is one of them..

Now if you want the OG taking place in the US permanently, I'm not sure the rest of the world will really appreciate...
georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:38 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

You turn Chicago elimination from an international contest into domestic politics, George.

Not really fair play, as other criteria are in play here than Obama's prestige or diplomacy.

Chicago was not simply the best candidate for numerous reasons..

The fact that the US had Atlanta (and LA) a few years ago is one of them..

Now if you want the OG taking place in the US permanently, I'm not sure the rest of the world will really appreciate...

You have outlined several very good reasons why Obama's decision to do this was both foolish and a serious miscalculation.
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:43 am
@georgeob1,
Well, I would say too that it was a miscalculation.

So what?

Have you never miscalculated?
maporsche

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:44 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Well, I would say too that it was a miscalculation.

So what?

I think George would say (hell, I'll say it too), that Obama has miscalculated on a lot of things here at home since 1/20.
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:48 am
@maporsche,
Now, that's another matter than the OG..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

You have outlined several very good reasons why Obama's decision to do this was both foolish and a serious miscalculation.

However, it's tradition that the country's leader promotes "his city" on the election day.
0 Replies