Question about Credit cards and Employers

kloud

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any resources or had any information about what rights employees have in regard to creditcards policies of their employer?

Case in point. One company policy states they will force all employees who travel to open up a Dinner's club credit card in the employee's name (not a company credit card, but a personal account).

This credit card statement will be fully accessable by employer, When you travel for company business they demand you to use this card for all purchases. Employee is fully responsible for the card charges. (Employee is paid by turning in expense reports)
Employee is not allowed to use the card for personal use.

I'm would like to local where i can research what rights the employee has and what demands by the employer are legal.

Can you help point me in the right direction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 906 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:54 am
Ah, that used to be the policy at a place I worked (they switched us over to Visa eventually). Far as I'm aware, there's nothing wrong with it, unless they're not paying your expense accounts on time. What do you believe is the problem with this policy?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:45 pm
That's pretty much the way it worked back when I was on a first-name basis with flight attendants, hotel-clerks, and barkeepers all over the planet. We had to use a personal, but company-business-specific Amex card.

Prolly shouldn't tell ya this, but its usually no big deal to get a merchant to make out the cardslip so that it reads just a total amount charged, attributed to something like "Meeting Facillities", "Catering", "Clerical Services", or "Office Supplies", or such, or for a bartab to be attributed to "Dining Charges", with no specific item-by-item detail. Used judiciously, that can work to your benefit. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:52 pm
Not when you're in the auditing department. :-D
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:57 pm
Its not intended to benefit anyone in the auditing department! Like I said, it has to be done judiciously ... gotta keep it believeable, reasonable, and not noticeably outside-of-established-pattern :wink: Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:19 pm
Obviously you don't work for the U.S. Government. Evidently civil service people--and some military staffers have government as well as private credit cards and charge everything--strip joints and all--to the taxpayer.

I think the company Diner's card is to provide documentation of your expenses. Why is this a problem?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 06:20 pm
Just from reading I'd guess the problem is that the card is fully in the employees name. What right does an employer have to dictate what card is to be used and why should they have access to the financial records?

Just my view but if the card is in my name and reflects on my credit rating then I get the bill and I get to dictate who gets access to my financial info (and for that matter, I'll get whatever card I want!) and I'll use the card for whatever I want to.

If the employer wants a card that they control and have complete access to they should give their employees a corporate card as all of my employers have always done. All the cards I've used had my name on them but they were clearly labeled as a "Corporate Card" and they weren't reported to credit reporting agencies under my name.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 06:38 pm
I would have to agree that my financial records were not the busines of my employer. Actually, I have a company card which completely eliminates the reimbursement situation.
0 Replies