ROBERT: WHAT ABOUT DEFENSIVE OFF TOPIC POSTING?

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 03:08 am
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

Quote:

Additionally, from Robert's posts, I have come to respect his mind.
I know intelligence when I see it and I admire his analytical abilities.
Perception of subtle distinctions comes naturally to him.

I also know intelligence when I see it, and I also know that there are different sorts of intelligence. You know that too, right?

Robert has not only intellectual (reasoning/analytical) abilities, but also (and more important on this board) social/emotional intelligence.

This is one of the reasons I've avoided Mensa all these years: I've often found that those with analytical/intellectual abilities lack social/emotional abilities.

No doubt you've seen this as well.

I've come to believe that we are born with analytical intelligence; social/emotional intelligence comes only through experience.

But some people have experiences which positively hinder or entirely block that development, and many have a neurological problem which makes it difficult, or impossible, ever to "get" the emotional shades and nuances of social interaction.

Perseverance and obsessionality are traits frequently to be found in this second group,
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 04:46 am
When you mention perseverance do you mean an obsessive perseverance? One which cannot be disuaded by an appeal to reason or decency? Because perseverance can be a praise-worthy trait, if it entails consideration.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 05:31 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

BorisKitten wrote:

Quote:

Additionally, from Robert's posts, I have come to respect his mind.
I know intelligence when I see it and I admire his analytical abilities.
Perception of subtle distinctions comes naturally to him.

I also know intelligence when I see it, and I also know that there are different sorts of intelligence. You know that too, right?

Robert has not only intellectual (reasoning/analytical) abilities, but also (and more important on this board) social/emotional intelligence.

This is one of the reasons I've avoided Mensa all these years: I've often found that those with analytical/intellectual abilities lack social/emotional abilities.

No doubt you've seen this as well.

I've come to believe that we are born with analytical intelligence; social/emotional intelligence comes only through experience.

But some people have experiences which positively hinder or entirely block that development, and many have a neurological problem which makes it difficult, or impossible, ever to "get" the emotional shades and nuances of social interaction.

Perseverance and obsessionality are traits frequently to be found in this second group,
What kind of experiences ?

David
djjd62

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 05:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
David

watching star trek Razz
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Lack of attunement and empathy in early care, harsh punishment, lack of validation for our feelings, severe neglect, frequent physical, emotional or sexual abuse from caregivers, frequent early trauma, prolonged separation from, or complete lack of, attachment figures in early life....that kind of thing,
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

When you mention perseverance do you mean an obsessive perseverance? One which cannot be disuaded by an appeal to reason or decency? Because perseverance can be a praise-worthy trait, if it entails consideration.

What appears obsessive perseverence from those not the one/s being perseverant.
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:00 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
David

watching star trek Razz

That'll do it.

Wink
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:23 am
@dlowan,
'K.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:23 am
@dlowan,
(It still doesn't make a damned bit of sense to me.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:36 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
David

watching star trek Razz

That'll do it.

Wink
I wonder whether the antecedent of the Ignore Button
was found in Alternate Spock 's quarters on the wall,
behind a picture: he aimed it at whoever he wanted
and that guy disappeared.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,

(lil' anthony fremont had his cornfield a few years before ol' pointy ears showed up...)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@Region Philbis,

Twilight Zone ?
BorisKitten

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
A few weeks ago, someone claimed to avoid Mensa because he (allegedly) attended a meeting and found everyone patting himself on the back. From over 30 years actively in Mensa, and having never seen that, I discounted his allegation as deception.

I didn't see this at Mensa meetings, but I DID see the little video (I think it was from a NY Mensa meeting) of the "quiz" hosts gave to Mensa members.

Everyone whined that the quiz was "too hard." I thought they complained overmuch and sounded like, well, schoolgirls. It was a game!

I did, however, really like Mensa's "emotional intelligence" of wearing a little pin that indicated whether they'd accept a hug from a stranger (Same video? Can't recall.).

From your previous post, "Mensa Kittens" has stuck in my mind and provided, in the meantime, many happy smiles on my part.

GO, Mensa Kittens!
BorisKitten

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:54 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

Couldn't agree more!

Still I've often wondered why emotional/social and intellectual intelligence appear to be so... far apart. Or independent of one another.

Maybe this is my own prejudice, telling myself, "Heck, if I can 'get' this, why can't They? It's not all that hard."

And cripes, I'm definitely on Mensa's "lower end," plus I'm a lifelong under-achiever, so I'm not all that darned smart.

Did you ever wonder, Bunny, why social and intellectual abilities appear to be so completely unrelated?

Oh, never mind. We'll get into a big discussion about Autism, which would require a new thread.

Dang it, did I get off-topic yet again? Er, carry on, folks.

No kittens here.
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 08:49 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
Did you ever wonder, Bunny, why social and intellectual abilities appear to be so completely unrelated?

I don't think they are unrelated....generally, I think they go together.

I just think there a group of people who tend to stand out because of their social awkwardness, some of whom are very intelligent in other ways.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 08:59 pm
@BorisKitten,

In Mensa, there is a lot of kidding around.
It includes a broad cross-section of America and the world,
with many, many different points of vu and disparate personalities.

There are a lot of interesting SIGs; Google them.
Any member can begin a SIG of his own,
according to his own tastes and interests, so long as it is not criminal.
It will be advertized for free and whoever wishes, will attend it.
Its very libertarian
So am I

David
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zegzB671QPM/SfxjuyfWZ1I/AAAAAAAAAcI/UZtMT9ib4oU/s400/mummycornfield.jpg
dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:30 pm
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tNWC8Chy5XQ/RtoEp_UHEoI/AAAAAAAAAFM/7CiAgVnfysE/s320/villagedamned2.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
@Region Philbis,

Yeah, I remember that one.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:04 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

Quote:
A few weeks ago, someone claimed to avoid Mensa because he (allegedly) attended a meeting and found everyone patting himself on the back. From over 30 years actively in
Quote:
Mensa, and having never seen that, I discounted his allegation as deception.

I didn't see this at Mensa meetings, but I DID see the little video (I think it was from a NY Mensa meeting) of the "quiz" hosts gave to Mensa members.

Everyone whined that the quiz was "too hard." I thought they complained overmuch and sounded like, well, schoolgirls.

Mensans can complain and thay r perfectly willing to do it.

Leading Mensans has been compared (unfavorably) to herding cats.

Quote:
It was a game!

I did, however, really like Mensa's "emotional intelligence" of wearing a little pin
that indicated whether they'd accept a hug from a stranger
(Same video? Can't recall.).

At Regional Gatherings or the Annual Gathering,
each attender is issued an Id. badge, which serves
as a receipt for his registration fee, along with green circle stickers = Hugable
Red circle stickers = stay the hell away
Yellow = maybe, it depends on who u r.
I 'm not much of a hugger, but I've never put anything on it.
I 'm naturally sour n dour enuf that I don t have to worry.

Quote:
From your previous post, "Mensa Kittens" has stuck in my mind
and provided, in the meantime, many happy smiles on my part.

GO, Mensa Kittens!
Not only Kittens
In the 1980s, I was given a beautiful, graceful, Golden Retriever dog at a Mensa meeting;
his name was Mike. He was not actually at the meeting, personally,
but the discussion that resulted in his adoption was there.

His Mensa family had to move and coud not keep him at their new residence.
He belonged to 2 boys aged about maybe 6 and 8.
Before accepting him, I checked with each of them to make sure
that he did not object, inasmuch as I was not about to be party to
ripping their dog away from either boy. Thay both approved and joined
with their mom in asking me to accept him.

By co-incidence, thay have since then moven to Arizona,
where I grew up. I see them when I return there for Regional Gatherings.

David
0 Replies