Critical thinking

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 06:46 am
An ancient ruler often condemned to death the people he no longer favored. However, he amused himself by giving his victims a chance to live if they were both luck and clever. The victim was given 6 vials filled with poison, 6 vials filled with water, and 2 boxes. he was to arrange the 12 vials in the 2 boxes. he could put any number he liked in each box, but he had to put at least one vial in each. after he put all the vials into the boxes, the ruler would first select one of the boxes and then draw a vial from that box. the victim would have to drink its contents. What arrangement of vials in the boxes gives the condemned man the best chance of avoiding the poison?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,877 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 09:35 am
@xxmyluvxx,
This is a guess, and I am assuming the victim knows which vial contains which liquid:

1 vial of water in one box; everything else in the other.

Why? Because for box #1 there's a 100% chance that all will be swell for the victim. And in box #2, there's a 5/12 chance that everything will be okay (e. g. 41.67%). Average the two and you get 70.835% odds of a good outcome. Not too shabby.

If you even out the vials, you have a 50% chance from both boxes, the average of course is 50% and so it's not as good a shot.

If you place two waters in one box and the remainder (with the poison) in box #2, you still have 100% in box #1 but now box #2's odds are 40%, and the average is obviously worse.

If you place two waters in box #1 with 1 poison, and the remainder in #2, you get a 66.67% chance in box #1 and a 33.33% chance in #2, with an average of 50%.

3 waters and 1 poison in #1 gives you a 75% chance, with a 37.5% chance in #2, averaging 56.25%.

4 waters and 1 poison in #1 yields an 80% chance there and an 18% chance in #2, for an average of 49%.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 12:10 am
@jespah,
That would be my answer as well
0 Replies