The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown - Book Discussion

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
. . . isn't much of a writer, he was one of my favorite authors. It's because I liked his stories.

This is a major criterion with me, too. This book is the only venture into Dan Brown Land that i've ever made, and so far, the story is not grabbing me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:20 pm
@George,
It bothers me, too, because if you read his disclaimer, it is obvious that he is only saying that the few things he has referred to in the disclaimer are fact, and that he wants the gullible reader to assume that that means the content of the novel (and he is honest about calling it a novel) is factual truth--which, obviously, the content is not.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:29 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'm trying to read it . . . but it's got to be one of the most boring books i've come across in a long time. I keep dozing off before i get two pages read. I hate to start a book and not finish it, but i'm beginning to wonder if i'll ever finish this one.

Yeah, same here. I picked up a mint copy of this magnum opus for $1 (US) at a rummage sale a couple of months ago. Read a few pages, got bored, put it down. It's so forgetable I had even forgotten I have the book! Ran across it by accident on my bedside night table the other day (I usually have several books on that table). I suppose at some point I'll have to finish reading it just so I can look knowledgeable when people are talking about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:34 pm
Hehehehehehe . . .

The copy we have is one The Girl picked up for $1.50 at the Goodwill store. Overpriced, i'd say.
0 Replies