Old testement

Ceili

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:06 pm
Quote:
Why don't kingdom halls have windows?

That's like asking why donuts have holes...........

According to the watchtower....
It seems that the preferred architectural design is for kingdom halls without windows. Probably, the main reason is that glass windows are a tempting target for vandals. A precaution against crime and vandalism,"

I know I've been tempted, but as of yet have not followed the urge.
Ceili
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:09 pm
Oh, Texan, it's possible we misunderstood. Were you referring to your original post, or the Jehovah's Witness story? If it's the Witness story, damned if I know....I do know that for a long time, bars in Toronto were built without windows so true God-fearin' folks wouldn't have to see others drinking. For the JW people....well, maybe so sane folks don't need to see their craziness. Laughing The artist once again known as Prince is a Jehovah's Witness, and is apparently doing his door-knocking duties for the church right know. Imagine finding Prince on your doorstep in a flamboyant costume, with copies of the Watchtower, asking you if you want to come to a bible study...Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:20 pm
I just heard... this is not quite a sign on a church, but there probably is one... that a church in Scotland is planning a series of sermons next month on the Simpsons cartoon show.

IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD, AND THE WORD WAS DOH!

Scottish Daily Record article
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:20 pm
Cav, Jahovah post. My place is way out in the countryside, so I ain't specting Prince. If he shows up, I'll get out my 60's CDs and let him get educated on real music.
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:27 pm
Ceili, I think temptation is a sin. And, why do donuts have holes. Is because bagels do?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:15 pm
I would guess that Prince is so self-involved, he's sending his "people" to do the door-knocking for him.

'Bagel', the word, comes from Anglo-Saxon, meaning 'ring'. I assume that's why they have holes. Don't ask me about donut though....
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:45 pm
OT = old testament. It's not forum jargon as far as I know, it's just something I use because I talk too much about it and don't like writing the whole phrase out every time.

There wasn't really a question in that first post that I saw, but it seemed to me like you were asking where the OT came from and why people wrote it. I don't know, I thought that was interesting.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:22 pm
If temptation is a sin, I guess I'm guilty as charged on too many accounts but I think I'll leave that determination up to the big guy up above. I have my reasons for my feelings towards JWs and I'll just leave it at that.
Ceili
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:28 pm
I can resist anything...

.......but temptation.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:40 pm
Is it possible that doughnuts do not have holes at all but rather the surrounding of empty space with a round piece of dough gives the appearance of a hole and there is no hole but rather the visual blockage of a round space by formed dough and maybe I'll get up now 'cause I'm really really hungry and...........was I saying something?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:21 pm
Texan, in answer to your question, I suspect that a Christian must wear the Blinders of Belief when reading the KJV. They simply ignore everything that contradicts what they are preconditioned to believe that it says.

They will lock onto any phrase that reinforces their beliefs, take quotes out of context, interpret any passage to mean whatever they wish it to say, rationalize the injustices, overlook the blatant immorality of OT heroes, and attribute everything else to translation errors.

Why do they do this? Because Christianity promises everything to everyone: eternal life for those who fear death, reunion with loved ones for the bereaved, eternity in paradise for the poor, justice for victims, certainty for doubters, love for the lonely, a path for lost souls, and absolution for those who cannot forgive themselves.

Not to mention the smug self-righteousness and the feeling of superiority over most of humanity.
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:39 am
Bi-Polar, I think you just might be on to something here, but I still don't know why the Jahovah's have not windows and the rest of the world does. The marquis at the jehovah place here is also now in Spanish. Could Yiddish be far behind?
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:43 am
Terry, I guess you just summed it up in a nutshell. I'm really surprised that no bible thumpers have joined in on this thread. They must be in church.
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:43 am
Terry, I guess you just summed it up in a nutshell. I'm really surprised that no bible thumpers have joined in on this thread. They must be in church.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:44 am
The church across the street from us is apparently hosting a 'Bazar' this weekend. Also, I decided that donuts don't have holes, they have negative space.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:12 am
Terry wrote:

Why do they do this? Because Christianity promises everything to everyone: eternal life for those who fear death, reunion with loved ones for the bereaved, eternity in paradise for the poor, justice for victims, certainty for doubters, love for the lonely, a path for lost souls, and absolution for those who cannot forgive themselves.

Right on.

cavfancier wrote:
Also, I decided that donuts don't have holes, they have negative space.

Hahahahahahhahahah
Ahah.
hah.

I'm going to quote you on that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:17 am
Quote:
I'm really surprised that no bible thumpers have joined in on this thread.

Texan- Be careful of what you say.........you might just attract some. On another forum of which many A2Kers are alums, there WAS a 100% dyed in the wool Bible thumper.

Didn't have an original thought in his head!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:18 pm
Terry, that is pretty much true of anyone who reads things looking for something, rather than reading it looking for what is there. For instance, when you read my post in the philosophy forum you expected to find something specific there, found possibly a sentece or two that you convinced yourself aheared to your expectations, and posted a long rant that had absolutely nothing to do with what I actually wrote.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:29 am
rufio, would that be the thread where you insulted people without provocation and whined that no one could understand what you were saying because we did not read well enough? The one where you could not seem to comprehend anyone else's arguments or why we all disagreed with your premise? The one where you ignored the points I made against your theory and railed at me for stuff I never even wrote? The one where numerous people told you that the problem was with you, not us?

Try reading that thread again, but this time take off your blinders.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:37 am
cav, does that mean that donut holes have negative calories too? So you can eat all you like, just make sure you eat the hole along with the donut!
0 Replies