How do octopi know what color to change to when using camoflauge?

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:39 am
I understand what processes take place to make the octopus change color. I also understand their eyes play a major factor.
But, I do not understand how it knows what color to change to, especially when they change to a color they have never seen. What is this action called?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,194 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 06:39 am
@TEACH ME,
Presumably we could call this "mimicry" in the same sense that parrots mimic speech or other sounds. "Knowing" doesn't come into it. It would be perfectly possible for a computer to optically scan a colour sample and adjust its screen display for "minimum difference" using a simple feedback loop.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:53 pm
@TEACH ME,
They pull out their Crayola-Octopi color wheel and match it up.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 01:00 pm
Iwatched a lecture recently that said they don't actually change color. They change patterns or textures.

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_gallo_shows_underwater_astonishments.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 01:03 pm
@TEACH ME,
TEACH ME wrote:

Quote:
I understand what processes take place to make the octopus change color.
I also understand their eyes play a major factor.
INDEED

Quote:
But, I do not understand how it knows what color to change to,
especially when they change to a color they have never seen.
What is this action called?
Note that the gender of octopusses
is limited to male or female, not to neuter gender,
hence: logic constrains us to use "he" or "she".

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 01:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Some octopuses do change color as well as texture and pattern, I'm not sure if the lecture is referencing specific ones that don't but I've seen it myself and have read a lot about how they go about changing their color.

Just found this on Wikipedia, which seems to confirm that some don't change color:

Quote:
An octopus's camouflage is aided by certain specialized skin cells which can change the apparent color, opacity, and reflectiveness of the epidermis. Chromatophores contain yellow, orange, red, brown, or black pigments; most species have three of these colors, while some have two or four. Other color-changing cells are reflective iridophores, and leucophores (white).[16] This color-changing ability can also be used to communicate with or warn other octopuses. The very venomous blue-ringed octopus becomes bright yellow with blue rings when it is provoked. Octopuses can use muscles in the skin to change the texture of their mantle in order to achieve a greater camouflage. In some species the mantle can take on the spiky appearance of seaweed, or the scraggly, bumpy texture of a rock, among other disguises. However in some species skin anatomy is limited to relatively patternless shades of one color, and limited skin texture.
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 01:32 pm
@TEACH ME,
we used to catch em off the Nigerian coast . The small non toxic forms are quite good to eat .They change color and can take on the texture of their background . Squids and flounders do the same except squids can take on a violent moving picture color array.
Tasty.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:01 pm
Probably the same way your thermos knows whether to keep liquids hot or cold.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:49 pm
@DrewDad,
Thanks for the link to that jaw-dropping 6 minute video.

Sorry, but you are wrong about Octopi. Based on the link on that TED lecture, they change color, texture pattern as well as their shape. Re-watch and you'll see that is true all throughout the lecture, particularly at the end.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
oops. Just noticed that Robert clarified the issue. Ted lectures are great but as they are limited to 6 minutes, the lecture aren't all inclusive. Thanks goes to you, Robert, for providing that info.
0 Replies