Why do states continue to have 10 year statute of limitations for rape cases?

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:51 pm
New Mexico has a 10 year statute of limitations to arrest a rapist. With new technology such as DNA testing, many old cases could be solved if a rapist is arrested for another crime and his DNA is found in the DNA lists.

Rape should be based on the same statute of limitations as murder. How many other crimes do you think should not have limited statutes of limiations?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,792 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:03 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

New Mexico has a 10 year statute of limitations to arrest a rapist. With new technology such as DNA testing, many old cases could be solved if a rapist is arrested for another crime and his DNA is found in the DNA lists.

Rape should be based on the same statute of limitations as murder. How many other crimes do you think should not have limited statutes of limiations?

BBB
New Mexico Statues re forcible rape;
ยง 30-1-8
Prosecution may commence
at any time after the
occurrence of a capital felony
or a first degree violent
felony;
Second degree felony, within
six years from the time the
crime was committed;
Third or fourth degree felony,
within five years from the
time the crime was
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
(Welcome back, BBB. Smile I've missed you.)
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:10 pm
@msolga,
Thanks, msolga. My pain is greatly reduced, but I still can't stand or walk for more than five minutes. I see a back physician next week and hope he has a solution.

BBB
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:14 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
(That's good (about the reduced pain). Be very gentle with yourself, then, BBB. Now I won't divert this thread any further!)
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 06:29 pm
Likely, it is a reflection in the legal system of the recognition of the falibility of human memory.
0 Replies