Pollution from highways/health concerns

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:45 am
I live within a half a mile of a highway and am aware that there is a large amount of pollution that comes from them. I'm curious as to what the pollution coming from highways is made up of, and if people have been known to have cancer as a result of living near highways. Also is there anything I can do to improve the quality of air in my apartment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:19 am
@magictome,
Some of the big pollution concerns that DONT come from highways are the old reports that lead from exhaust pipes has entered the watercourses.
Some pollution that DOES occur is the pollution of streams with road salt during the spring runnoff. SOmetimes , in really cold snowy years, the salt burden into streams can be so high that it kills trout and suckers.

Air pollution from exhausts is just as severe from other stationary sources also, so to distinguish the sources wed need specific sampling monitors.
0 Replies

Richard Jr

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 09:12 pm
@magictome,
To know the quality of air, get the air pollution level alert as well as <a href="http://aafter.com/?term=w? ">asthma and allergy alerts</a> of your area from the different websites that provide you with these informations. You can then precautionary measures beforehand.

Richard
0 Replies