Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:03 pm
I think ehBeth is going to jump through the monitor and kill me if I forget to to post this.

Anyways... So I have become a big fan of corn chowder since moving to DC, and I thought that it might be a fun thing to learn how to make. I read a number of recipes online and found some common ingredients and trends. Then I went to the grocery, returned home and shot from the hip (like I like to do with cooking... just dive in).

NOTE: I'm going to tell you what I did, and then I'll conclude with what I'd do next time. Dig? Well, the trains already moving, so let's go.

Corn Chowder
(serves 6 people)

INGREDIENTS
-2 cans of corn (~30 oz)
-Potatoes*
-1 can diced tomatoes (~15 oz)
-1 white onion, diced.
-1/2 a red bell pepper, diced.
-3 cups 1% milk
-3 cubes chicken bouillon dissolved in 3 cups water.
-1 TBSP Salt
-2 TBSP Pepper**
-1 tspn crushed red pepper.

*I used baby blue denim potatoes. They are long and skinny, so the chopped up quick but still were a hearty size for soup. I left the skin on since they are small to begin with. It's hard for me to gauge how many I put in. Maybe two cups worth? Shoot from the hip. Remember?

**I ran out of black pepper, so it ended up being half black and half white pepper.

COOKING IT UP
I put everything in the crock pot and walked away for 6 hours. I added a little corn starch to thinken the broth, but I don't think this is necessary. Nuff said. Then just enjoy the spicy corn chowder goodness.

WHAT I'D DO NEXT TIME
1) I'd use larger potatoes and skin them. Bare potatoes will shed off a little more starch and thicken the soup by itself. The Baby blue denim potatoes were delicious, but part of chowder is the creaminess of it, and they were too stable to dissolve a little.
2) I'd use a heavier dairy or maybe even half and half. This would also make the soup more viscous. The soup tasted great, but the texture was off, IMO.
3) I'd budget ore time and cook on low power instead of high.
4) I'd saute the onions and peppers first before putting them in the crock pot. This one is just a maybe though. The onions being cooked in the broth over the 6 hours did give the end soup a very nice base which was good for the spices.
5) This might just be me cause I like hot food, but I'd also dice up a jalapeno or two and thrown it in.
6) Some recipes call for bacon to be added. I don't think it's needed. If somehow you can replace the chicken broth with a vegetable alternative, this can be a vegetarian dish. If you can then replace the dairy, it becomes a vegan one. If I experiment with a vegan alt corn chowder, I'd probably try to use some miso or onion soup base, and for the dairy alt, I'd... ****...come on think... think back to college... what would you do...?

Bingo! I'd put a small measure of instant mashed potato flakes in to thicken it up! That would either work great, or be ultimately horrible!

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,128 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:06 pm
@Diest TKO,
mine is real similar, but has kielbasa chopped in it as well.

sounds tasty with fall coming on...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:23 pm
@Rockhead,
a favorite website - cooking for engineers..
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

a favorite website - cooking for engineers..
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

Despite being an engineer, I don't know if it will be for me. I did bookmark it though. I have a feeling, that my roommate (also an engineer) would love it though.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:51 pm
@Diest TKO,
I'm the proto opposite of an engineer. I still keep the site up there in my flgs. If you do or not, none of my business.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:53 pm
@ossobuco,
i mostly make fun of engineers as i fix stuff for them, but i appreciate the site...
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:10 am
@Diest TKO,
jespah

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 02:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Psst Passover is in the Spring. But you may still see Passover stuff in the stores even though it's Rosh Hashanah (our local market hauls out Passover stuff whenever it's Jewish holiday time).
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 06:34 pm
@jespah,
that would explain the Passover display 2 or 3 times a year
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:03 pm
@Rockhead,
All this reminds me that I love corn pudding. I had saved a few recipes and lost them in my recent computer bail out.
We used to have a charming french restaurant in Venice, sort of a hole in the wall place, best visited on a rainy night.. called Chez Helene. It got some fame at one point because a few nasty things happened on that block - if I remember, it was to some famous people I won't describe here coming or going to the restaurant, which subsequently moved to Beverly Hills. Which was all too bad, as the people in Venice loved the place.

Anyway, if you ordered the fabulous roast chicken, you didn't get corn pudding with it, but you did if you ordered the lamb. T'was always a quandary.

Anyone got a nice corn pudding recipe?
0 Replies