Snack momming

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:30 am
I'm happy to have played a part in getting you out and about on your own, dys! Enjoy your fruit pies.

Gogurt is a great idea! I'll keep that one in mind next time I have to be snack mom. I found a good deal on string cheese yesterday so I bought that. I'm making kabobs with apples (which don't turn brown if you dip them in some lemon juice), strawberries and bananas (they stay nice if you cut them in half with the peel still on).

I don't have a problem with sweets but in this case I kind of do. It's not that I worry about gossip but tomorrow afternoon is Mo's big movie "premiere" and I don't want him on a nasty sugar crash when we get there. Self preservation is always a motivating factor for me.

I don't know the rules about home made stuff. The team he plays for is affiliated with the Catholic school in the neighborhood, not the school he goes to. I'm not looking to cook anything, anyway.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:45 am
@boomerang,
Gogurt is specifically designed to be freezable, and then thaw out with no harmful effects - so it makes a great addition to a lunchbox that you are looking to keep cold. By lunch, it will be thawed out and everything else in the bag will be nice and chilly.

I don't know how old the kids in question are, but I kinda agree with Set's earlier comment - when I was a kid, I wanted Meat after physical activities. Lots of it. No substitute for meat.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@boomerang,
Depending on the boards here, it's not just home-cooked, it's home-prepared. They only want to see "packaged" stuff.

I think it's kind of disgusting (and at least one friend ended up in tears as her stuff was rejected by a teacher), but it's their venue, their rules.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@sozobe,
Dublin and Easton . . . there ya go, stores for the elite . . .
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks Jane...I am so glad to know that...I can't believe I haven't heard of that. We go to Fresh Market quite a bit...and Whole Foods. But they are expensive as well.

I just looked it up and it's in Homewood, which is not right around the corner but I think I will gather the family tomorrow and go check it out. My husband loves those kinds of places. I have to limit his spending Wink - he wants everything! He is an advertisers dream.

[edit] I just saw where you all say it's not like Trader Joe's. I will go browse around anyway...I think we are going down to Five Points and it's on the way.

We eat pretty good here at the house. I should try to do better with the snacks at fall league baseball...Boomer has encouraged me to try anyway...I agree with what y'all are saying. I have a tendency to do what is easiest at the time.

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't get talked about...I don't think. I live down south - everybody thinks we're rednecks anyway...the bar is low. Anyway - I feel it's my duty here at A2K to make everybody feel better about themselves. Wink

Balance, moderation...key.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:43 pm
@Linkat,
Here's an apple kid...have at it. Wink
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:53 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Don't you know it is dangerous to provide peanut butter. Too many alergies.

Pfff, bull. I've been allergic to Shrimp and shellfish my whole goddamn life and nobody seems to take that into consideration when planning food orders or parties or snacks. Lots of times they don't even tell people shellfish are in dishes. More than twice as many people (including many kids) are allergic to shellfish, in many cases deathly so, as peanuts or tree nuts; yet I see shrimp and lobster and crab and clams and prawns and all sorts of seafood at every party and event I go to.

The burden of responsibility for those who are allergic to commonly-served food items lies with the ingester, not the preparer. If your kid is allergic to peanuts or other nuts, and someone is prepping food for them, you'd better let that person know in advance.

The whole peanut thing is rather overblown by parents and the media, in my opinion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:58 pm
You wait until you have a few little Cyclos running around, Cyclo. You'll
enter a whole new world then...

mismi, as I said, we don't have an Aldi here, but I know them from Germany
(where they originate) and all the stores are the same. No frills, everything
in big boxes and pallets, they only have cashiers, no other personnel, but the products are very good and very reasonably priced.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:17 pm
@dyslexia,
mmmm . . .
pie!

Waytago, Hoss. Make it work for you.

I confess to having brought a big bucket of mini-doughnuts (Dunkin Munchkins)
to one of my kid's soccer games. Not a slave to nutrition.

I instructed the parents to make sure the kids brought water or some kind of
sports drink. One little girl's mom gave her a container of chocolate milk.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I don't know how old the kids in question are, but I kinda agree with Set's earlier comment - when I was a kid, I wanted Meat after physical activities. Lots of it. No substitute for meat

When I had to make the 'snack' for my son's baseball team - it was dictated - orange quarters, and a sandwich for each player - a hamburger roll with ham or turkey, lettuce, and a slice of cheese, or plain cheese for the vegetarians.

It was easy, because they told you exactly what to make, how many of each (the kids placed their orders) and how to make it.

But these kids were in highschool.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:30 pm
I broke down and bought a bag of "fun size" candy bars to go along with my wholesome snacks.

Now everybody should be happy!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:35 pm
I agree that the peanut thing has gotten way weird. I'm waiting for the warning label that reads "this food was grown on the same planet where peanuts are grown".

Thirty years ago when I was in high school a good friend of mine had a nut allergy. She'd just been raised to always ask before eating. She didn't have to be quarantined in the cafeteria.

But, anyway, I don't want to be known as "the snack mom who killed that kid".
mismi

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:45 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
But, anyway, I don't want to be known as "the snack mom who killed that kid".

That would not be good. I think it would wipe out the whole "Super Mom" question for sure. Wink
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:54 pm
@mismi,
In regard to the whole peanut thing - as a result I my kids either want certain foods (like tuna or peanut butter) or not because of other kids likes, dislikes and allegeries. So sometimes they want peanut butter to sit at the peanut table or not want peanut butter so they can sit at the non-peanut butter table or no tuna because so and so the smell makes her feel sick and she wants to sit next to her.

So this whole thing because a social aspect. I now have to make lunches according to other kids likes - it was tough enough to make lunches according to my own kids' whims - now I need to make according to other kids' whims.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:56 pm
Ok.
No one else has said it Smile
I will. I always crash food conversations anyway haha.

Gogurt.
Dont pick that. Especially if you dont want your kid sugared up.
The amount of sugar, hfcs, and MSG should be enough to scare anyone.

Im sad to see that marketing has made people believe this stuff is actually GOOD for kids.
It will create a sugar crash ....the exact one you are trying to avoid ..
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
I go back and forth about the allergy thing. If you have ever had a child go into breathing distress because of an allergy I suppose you would be pretty over protective.

We have a child at the pre-school I work at that has contact allergies. Apparently if she touches something that has dairy or peanuts on it she will go into anaphylaxis. Her mom is way over-protective, but honestly - I can't blame her.

Once the kids get older (she's 4) then you teach them to ask first or stay away from things they are not sure is free of whatever they are allergic to.

I would think children Mo's age that have severe allergic reactions to whatever have learned to ask before eating.

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:10 pm
@mismi,
I don't really have a problem with it - it is just when I have to adjust my kids' lunch for social reasons.
mismi

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:12 pm
@Linkat,
Oh I understand that. I don't think there is a great solution to either side...sometimes things are just a pain in the butt for everyone involved.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:19 am
@mac11,
Quote:
String cheese for protein?

Just curious: what is "string cheese"?