Snack momming

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:46 pm
@sozobe,
Can you believe that Birmingham doesn't have a Trader Joe's yet? I think they are working on it. But I have not heard anything firm yet.

We eat those things every so often for lunches...but feeding twenty kids with them might be a bit steep.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:26 pm
Our school told us what to bring - sliced oranges and a snack that is wrapped i.e.
store bought. No home made cookies or other home made goodies either in
case one of the kids is allergic or gets otherwise sick from it.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:34 pm
@mismi,
mismi, you have an ALDI in Birmingham - that 's as good as Trader Joe's
as they both originate from the same company. Trader Joe's is owned by
the brothers ALDI and in Europe all stores are named ALDI. Only in the
United States the brothers thought it would sound weird and named the stores
Trader Joe's. The products should be the same though.
KiwiChic

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:05 pm
After the Saturday morning rugby games we just take along everything and anything, home made pizza is a favourite with the boys, they get all the healthy food at home during the week, but at the clubrooms its all about the kids and the kids enjoying themselves. They burn it off very quickly.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:18 pm
@KiwiChic,
OH, my! you can't do THAT in America. Even if your kids eat fast food crap all week (and lets face it, they probably do) you dang well better show up at snack time with nutritionally sound caloric intake. If you don't you will get talked to by the other parents. Gotta set a good example, you don't have the right to abuse other peoples kids with poison. The kids liking it is a bonus, not the main determination of quality. And here sports are not about the kids, it is about the parents.

I am being slightly sarcastic, but not by much....
Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:21 pm
back a while i was keepin' an eye on a little guy (he played peewee football as well) and his favorite snack after practice was some crap called Go-gurt.
it comes in a not very appetizing convenient tube...

not real sure how truly healthy it was, but it was better'n sodas, and he snarfed them.
KiwiChic

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
no worries, that's in America....not here in NZ lol its rare for kids here to get junk food during the week because of school the next day and the need to focus on their work but at the weekend its a different story.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:53 am
Jeeze . . . where the hell's the red meat ? ! ? ! ?

We're talkin' football here, and you wanna give 'em granola ? ? ?

Dizzzzzzzzzzzzzgusting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:55 am
@CalamityJane,
CJane brings up an important point. Does your school/organization allow you to bring anything that was prepared at home? A lot of school boards/teams don't permit that due to liability concerns.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:09 am
@CalamityJane,
TJ and Aldi stores are not at all similar. The companies are separate and run by different Albrecht brothers. Aldi (in Canada, they were known as Valdi), is more of an off-price, name brand store. TJ's generally doesn't carry name brands, is more noted for its good house brand products.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:11 am
@ehBeth,
You're right, ehbeth! Trader Joe's belongs to the one Albrecht brother, and
Aldi the other. Whereas in Germany they seperate the Aldi stores between
south and north - I guess Karl Albrecht has all Aldi south, and Theo Albrecht
the stores up north. We don't have Aldi out here, unfortunately, but I am
very happy with Trader Joe's.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:19 am
In the midwest, you see Aldi all over the place, and it's both brand name and "generic," offering low, low prices because of the complete lack of frills--you pick your product from the shipping packaging sitting on the pallet it was delivered on. I don't believe i've ever seen a Trader Joe's in the midwest, which, of course, doesn't mean there aren't any.

I bet them boys would give the kids some freshly burned red meat, 'stead of some goofy old granola . . .
sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:23 am
@Setanta,
Two TJ's in Columbus! Both relatively new though, opened right around when I moved here. (Dublin and Easton.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:25 am
@sozobe,
Speaking of red meat tho, TJ's also has some pretty good and relatively healthy "turkey jerky."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dqiper7Fm7g/SMasJcigW0I/AAAAAAAACeU/Xr1WJ7ZRHOo/s1600/trader-joes-turkey-jerky-original.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:30 am
@mismi,
I'm with you - I'd say bring a tub of popcorn. But fortunately I don't have to feed 20 hungry boys.

You are much too good with the fruit kabobs and granola bars. Although I could see me bringing fresh fruit - just not all cut up and looking good unless I bought it that way.
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Don't you know it is dangerous to provide peanut butter. Too many alergies.
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:34 am
@Rockhead,
Good idea - there is at least some calcium in it and you can freeze them so they will still be cold when you hand them out.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
I was following along on this thread about an hour ago and I got the munchies so I got up, walked out to my truck, got in and drove to the quik-step easy-swipe convenience store a mile away, went in and bought 2 hostess fruit pies. You know, those fried apple turnovers that are about 50% sugar, and came home.
the thing is, that was the first time in nearly a year that I have done such a thing without using my wheelchair/walker or at minimum a cane. I went solo, no devices, I walked alone, and didn't even realized what I had done until I got home, put the fruit pies on the counter and sat down.
I'm thinking sugar cravings are good physical therapy.
Eva

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:57 am
In your case, they definitely ARE!

<applause!>
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:24 am
@dyslexia,
http://static.huddler.com/imgrepo/thumbs/0/05/1677457919bar%20logo%20jpeg.png/265x265px-LS-1677457919bar%20logo%20jpeg.png
0 Replies