Snack momming

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:45 am
I have to be snack mom at Mo's weekend football game.

I know Mo comes home from practice brutally hungry. I imagine after a game he'll be really hungry. Multiply that by 20 boys.

I'm thinking fruit kabobs and granola bars.

Would that be enough?

Someone else is bringing drinks so I don't have to worry about beverages.

Thanks!

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:48 am
@boomerang,
HOLY COW BOOMER! YOU ARE THE BEST SNACK MOM EVER!
Is that how you all do it? Cause you just raised the bar...

I bring Cheese-It snacks and Oreos. Maybe blueberry muffins on a good day - or choc chip cookies. I am such a healthy Mom.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:48 am
@boomerang,
Peanut butter and bananas sammiches, or perhaps chunks of banana to dip in peanut butter. That'll cure any hunger up right quick.

Cycloptichorn
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Peanut butter and bananas sammiches, or perhaps chunks of banana to dip in peanut butter. That'll cure any hunger up right quick.

Cycloptichorn

I was thinking peanut butter too for the protein but you might need to worry about allergies.
mismi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:55 am
@Tai Chi,
Peanut butter allergies are everywhere...though that particular item is a staple in our house.

You could ask first Boomer. Fruit Kabobs and granola bars sounds amazing to me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:05 am
Good point about peanut butter. Amazing snack but troublesome.

A lot of the local harvests are coming in right now (watermelon, apples) so really good, really fresh fruit, is not that expensive. There's a little green-grocer co-op by my house that sells the most amazing stuff.

Maybe I should look for protein bars instead of granola bars.

I did think about cookies and that sort of thing but I didn't know if it would be enough, or the right kind of thing to put in bellies after so much exertion.
mac11

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:07 am
String cheese for protein?
mismi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:11 am
@boomerang,
No, I think you are wise. I should be so. But with three playing sports - I tend to lean toward the quickest and easiest. The other Moms can be the super moms...I just have to serve my time Very Happy as snack mom. Check...on to the next thing.

Protein bars are easy and probably a good idea after their exercise...rebuilding muscle and all that. Fruit is always good. And watermelon when it is in season..well...you can't beat it.

I think string cheese is a good idea too Mac...I love cheese.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:38 am
String cheese is a great idea! Thanks mac!

Some of those protein bars are disgusting. I have no idea if any of them appeal to kids.

I don't mind setting the bar a little high. I'm the first snack mom of the season and wouldn't mind at all if the other parents put together semi-nutritious snacks in the future. I'm not a health food nut, we have candy and cookies as snacks around here but putting them into empty, exercised kids seems wrong. Football is a real workout.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:45 am
Almost every granola and or protein bar have nuts or the warning that they could be contaminated.
Watermelon slices always work too.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:15 pm
@Ceili,
Fruit, cheese strings (or baby Edams if you can find a good price on 'em), cookies!

(most of the granola bars I've looked at are either too full of fibre/cardboard or have as much sugar as a cookie in any case)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:20 pm
Fruit usually goes over well -- quenches the thirst at the same time. I usually bring granola bars and water (we have to bring drink AND snack). Pretzels and Chex Mix come in second.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:53 pm
You can get a large bag of apples at the grocery store for about 3 dollars a bag.
Apples
String cheese
and a grain cracker of some sort.

Do you get to hand out the snacks to each kid? Or is it a free for all?
It would be cheaper if, lets say , you could purchase exactly 20 apples, exactly 20 string cheese and only enough cracker boxes to give each 5 or 6 crackers.
The issue isnt to fill them up, the issue is to keep them from falling over.

Im not even a parent there, but thank you boom for setting that bar high!
Too often parents exhaust their kids with too much sugar and at the wrong times.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
Just give em 50 bucks and put it on the kids to shop. If they screw it up, its nothin on you. Larvae must learn about the real world.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:17 pm
@boomerang,
Make the kabobs with cheddar cheese, apples (different colors) and pears.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:19 pm
Cheese - Babybells, if you can afford em!

Kids love unwrapping them, and by Kids, I mean Me.

http://springbankcheese.ca/catalog/images/Babybel-195g.jpg

Cyclotpichorn
dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:20 pm
I'm thinking Twinkies and Mtn Dew.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
http://springbankcheese.ca/catalog/images/Babybel-195g.jpg

Those ARE good . My boys love them...they aren't cheap though.

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:42 pm
@mismi,
Trader Joe's has good deals on 'em when they have 'em. (We gave 'em to sozlet's bf for Christmas last year because she loves 'em so so so much.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:45 pm
@boomerang,
Little bit worried about the skewers. Fruit = great idea, skewers = depends on the kids. (Many little boys I know would quickly be having sword fights and poking each others' eyes out.)