Cause of bee decline discovered?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:48 am
Mobile phone tower threat

Quote:
The electromagnetic waves emitted by mobile phone towers and cellphones can pose a threat to honey bees, a study published in India has concluded.

The electromagnetic waves emitted by the towers crippled the "navigational skills" of the worker bees that go out to collect nectar from flowers to sustain bee colonies, said Dr. Sainuddin Pattazhy, who conducted the study, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,810 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:29 pm
@DrewDad,
Huh...!

It would be nice if the cause could be pinpointed... I wonder what could be DONE about it if that is the cause, though? (Haven't read the article yet, maybe it says, off to investigate...)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:52 pm
@DrewDad,
PennState has reported that there is a multiple of causes, and cellphones are NOT part of it. PENNSTATE has been looking at the internal parasites and the use of pesticides. One of the bigger connections is that ORGANIC bee farms are more likely to be afflicted with CCD.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:12 pm
Wouldn't be surprised to find out this study was financed by US trial attorneys.
For years now, the trial bar has been financing studies to establish a connection between electromagnetic waves (whether due to power lines or cell phones) and human ailments - brain cancer in particular.

Despite all of the junk-science they've paid for, they've yet to hit the jackpot they seek.

At least, though, humans can be easily located close to the sources they want to sue, but bees?

Come on.

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:17 pm
As they said in Jesus Christ, Superstar . . .

What's the buzz, tell me what's a happenin'
What's the buzz, tell me what's a happenin' . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I beeleeve that the study was conducted in Injia.
Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:59 pm
Don't attempt to confuse a Finn political tirade (TM pending) with mere facts . . .
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 06:21 pm
@Setanta,
in our neighbourhood the yellow jackets and ground-wasps are out in force this year - apparently they are not using cellphones .
several trees on our street have wasp-nests hanging from their branches - pretty but dangerous .
Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 07:13 pm
@hamburgboy,
They're probably too young to sign the service contract.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm
I blame Monsanto... Now I'm going to disappear and avoid the lawsuit.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 08:53 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
The electromagnetic waves emitted by the towers crippled the "navigational skills" of the worker bees that go out to collect nectar from flowers to sustain bee colonies, said Dr. Sainuddin Pattazhy, who conducted the study, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

Cell phones cause ear cancer too and will cook your brain like a microwave if you talk on them too long. Modern conveniences are the root of all evil. Return ye to the beating of drums.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 08:56 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Modern conveniences are the root of all evil. Return ye to the beating of drums.

This explains why the drum classes are all full this semester.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:01 am
@rosborne979,
You should be more careful with the quote tags. I quoted that text; I didn't write it.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:11 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
You should be more careful with the quote tags. I quoted that text; I didn't write it.

Sorry about that. I got interrupted when I was posting it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I beeleeve that the study was conducted in Injia.

You seem to be an educated individual, surely you've heard of outsourcing and the global economy. Or is it that you believe Indians are only capable of taking US dollars to man credit card help desks? Maybe you believe that members of the US Trial Bar are so patriotic that they will only fund US junk science.

I'm not asserting they funded this study, I merely commented that I would not be surprised to find out they did. Certainly international borders are not going to get in their way when it comes to billions in fees.

They have already invested millions in this avenue of litigation with not much of a return. It is certainly well within the realm of possibility that they might look to less direct sources of research to aid their endeavor.

These are people who thanks to incredibly large contingency fees connected to mass tort litigation, have become a major political force in this country. Would you argue otherwise?

There is a reason the ObamaCare has nary a word for tort reform, and no less an expert than Howard Dean has provided us with that reason: Dems have a huge debt to the Trial Bar to make good on.

But then maybe you believe that, like their most famous member , the former Senator from NC and Dem candidate for VP, the millions they make is only secondary to the good and noble work they due for the down trodden victims in America.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:17 pm
Translation: Finn's argument doesn't have a leg to stand on, so he'll try to baffle you with his bullshit.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
WTF? You're really having to twist yourself in knots to get from a bee study done in India to "Obamacare" and tort reform.

Go post your crazy screed somewhere else.

Seriously. You sound deranged. Are the black helicopters after you today?
0 Replies