Never buy Best Buy?

DrewDad

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 01:04 pm
http://consumerist.com/5347451/couple-says-best-buy-is-holding-data-hostage-for-1500

Quote:
Diane and Jo say they brought their computer to Best Buy's Geek Squad to get the CD drive fixed, but the Squad had some other ideas. After the dust cleared, the couple had gained a new hard drive they didn't want and lost all their data.

I will reiterate what I've said here before: Back it up! Back it up! Back it up!

Eventually, you're hard drive WILL fail.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,318 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 01:50 pm
That was bad, all right, but around here, if you can't get what you want at Staples, it's Best Buy or nothing. I am aware that we do have an Office Max in town.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:11 pm
@roger,
fly by night computer repair companies have sprouted up lately, as unemployed folk try to gain some income. I had good luck with one such place, very good price, service and quality of work. I used Geek Squad to wifi my house, they overcharged me and had to come back to get it right. I also took a computer to them to see what was wrong with it but after waiting much longer than promised for the answer they came back with BS .

For equipment buy online, for service see someone local. Best Buy is never the best option.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Geek squads are just a bunch of criminals that come over to case your house and prioritize it for burglaries.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 03:16 pm
@farmerman,
I think that Geek Squad was in the beginning good, before Best Buy bought them.
Quote:
you."

Geek Squad marketed itself effectively through stories that had characters. Employees would be called "intelligence agents," divided into functional units. For instance, "counter intelligence agents" would help customers in the store, from behind the counter, etc. "Special agents" would go on home calls, to install or repair products. "Double agents" would be cross-trained to work in either environment. "Covert agents" would assist customers remotely, over the telephone and Internet.

"These well thought-out stories help set up expectations for customers, like the Starbucks baristas. We were interested in Geek Squad for these stories, and the brand elements that could help Best Buy get its ducks in a row," Skelley explained.

So he met with Geek Squad founder Stephens and began brainstorming. "As I see it, Rob and I began dating eight years ago. We acquired Geek Squad six years ago. He likes to say Geek Squad acquired Best Buy, and in truth, the acquisition did change our history. It also convinced us that it is necessary to have a story that people can believe in passionately," he continued.

Marketing the Geek Squad services part of the big box's offering took time and planning. New posters went up in the Best Buy stores. Geek Squad services were tested in some stores for a year, then rolled out nationwide four years ago. One of the early challenges was scale; Geek Squad was small, Best Buy was big -- where would all the agents required for a national rollout come from?

http://knowledge.wpcarey.asu.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1731
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 08:54 am
Best Buy is great to purchase from, but everything I've heard about Geek Squad is they suck. Will charge about $80 or so just to look at your computer before doing anything.
aspvenom

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:21 pm
@DrewDad,
Man I just came back from best buy to fix some corrupted file. The laptop fell of my lap during boot up, and the battery popped out, and the whole thing shut down in the middle of the windows loading screen.

The laptop wouldn't boot, it would just go to the booting loading page and shutdown and restart (this repeated until you manually shut the thing down)
These new laptops don't come with the original operating system disk, so I called Microsoft, and they said you'd have to buy one.... again! (Typical of them)

I went to Best Buy told them to run a check disk to segment the hard drive for corrupted files, and replace it, a simple command, and they charged $50. Better than buying the entire Operating System for repair, ~$300.

But guess what, I got the laptop back, and they didn't take out the check disk/ CD.... Suckers!

I shouldn't be gloating, but geek squad is just a rip off who'll charge heinous amounts of money for simple solutions.
0 Replies

hilbert

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:37 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy Do Ho says, "Best Buy is great to purchase from, but everything I've heard about Geek Squad is they suck. Will charge about $80 or so just to look at your computer before doing anything. "

You are opening this board up to a lawsuit by posting libelous stuff here. I'm surprised this board allowed it.
Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:47 am
@hilbert,
Have you read the political threads?
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:48 am
@hilbert,
Lawsuit?
Ya like Best buy would want to spend thousands of dollars on lawyers to get back a cd from a college kid that has misplaced it somewhere in the clutter of the room.
Might as well hire a nanny to clean up my room and find it in the random heaps of books and paper everywhere on the desk and floor.

Nothing libelous in this thread, ok maybe a bit, but there is more truth than libel.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
@aspvenom,
Hilbert is correct in that free speach is increasingly under attack. The legal standard is increasingly moving towards "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all". The purpose for this both in the US and Europe is clear: regimes which increasingly do not have public support do there very best to curtail free speach in the hope of retaining power. The law is used as one of the means to hold on to power. Turning the education system into an indoctrination system is the other main tool.

Re Best Buy: they suck. They will also be gone soon and are already massively shrinking.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
@hilbert,
That is a three year old post. I bet they've almost got their ducks in a row after all that time.
0 Replies