Renew Your Mind

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:25 pm
Joe R Swart
[email protected]

Dear Doctor:

I am writing this letter to you, asking for your insight. I am writing a book about renewing your mind. The book will be talking about things needed to overcome bad thoughts, bad habits, bad thinking and turning things into a positive outcome. This can be done be renewing one's mind (way of thinking). I am writing this book based on insight from doctors such as yourself, personal experience and knowledge, and other factors. I have researched the books out now about renewing the mind; all of them that I found on the subject tend to focus on the spiritual things. I want to focus on the mental part instead of the spiritual side. I want to be able to open up to everyone, not just Christians. I have had depression for many years now, and have been in a state mental hospital before for attempted suicide. However my life has competently changed now. This book would be kind of a self help book. I am NOT a doctor, counselor, therapist, or psychologist. However I would like your input on this matter, and would also like to be able to use quotes by you in the book. If you are interested, please contact me via mail, phone or E-Mail. Thanks very much for you time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 8
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:57 pm
@FortitudeJoe,
I found books on the subconscious very informative. Just a note though, spirituality and the subconscious are intimately linked - it's really just another name for a way to access the subconscious...there are also other 'methods' of accessing the subconscious, including : creative visualisation, hypnosis, self-hypnosis, Neuro Linguistic Programming, and meditation and prayer.

Activities also modify the subconscious programs - muscle memory is a principle of this (ie. Practice something enough, it becomes unconscious - like driving a car...you struggle and have to concentrate at first, until it becomes 'second nature')

'Renewing the mind' is pointless if you can't change/modify/grow your subconscious patterns.

Personally, I think it should be "Body, Mind, and Soul" or "Body, Mind, and Spirit"
FortitudeJoe

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:15 am
@vikorr,
I see your point. I am wanting to focus on things like the law of attraction, self-asteam, self confidence, things like that. If I just focus on the spiritual side of things, alot of people may dismiss it as just another church book, which its not.
vikorr

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 12:10 am
@FortitudeJoe,
Personally, I think all renewal starts with awareness, which as a prerequisit, requires you no longer engage in self-deception. So I would spend a chapter or two on self-deception, and another chapter or two on awareness.

The Law-of-Attraction I think is a load of rot - it appears to me that the real 'Law of Attraction' is programming your mind and and doing the actions to achieve an outcome. The body affects the mind, and the mind affects the body...get them both moving in the same direction, and you achieve your outcome...the problem is, most people don't know how to move the mind and set it on a course (where knowing how the subconscious works, which affects the actions), and most people don't know how to motivate themselves to do the actions (which in turn affects how the mind works). Ie. I think the 'Law of Attraction' is a misguided misinterpretation of how the subconscious mind works for us humans, together with how sympathetic reactions (the biological reaction whereby we feel what another is feeling) work.

Self Esteem / Self Confidence are a damn good subject to write on...and they are a base to enable effective and self centred renewal...but awareness is the key.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:16 am
Awareness is a key word. Can you exist purely in the single moment we call the present without past and future seeping in to cloud your thoughts?

How well do you know yourself? How do you define yourself?
How important is it to you how others percieve you?

One of the persons it is hardest to be honset to is oneself. If you cannot accept your own ambitions and inclinations, and you try to adjust to some external criteria, you are bound to experience misery sooner or later.

Anyway, that's my own experience of it.
existential potential

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 01:01 pm
@Cyracuz,
you can exist purely in the present moment, I know I did when I was younger, and I'm sure many young people still do.

When we begin to perceive our situation in life, when we begin to think about how it is, how it was, how it could be different, better, or worse, when this happens, we cease to live in the present.

When the future becomes a thing of concern for the individual and he is no longer bound in the present, is when one sees one’s life for what it is, and understands how it could be different. When we begin to judge our life and our lot, that judgement brings about a change.

We live in the bubble that is the present moment, without any sense of doubt about our actions and lives, free from any sense of urgency about our limited lives. As we develop and as our situation begins to change, we leave school, our close friends move across the country to various universities etc, we start to think about the future more than before.

We develop a sense of finitude about our lives, and begin to understand that things do not last forever. We develop a greater sense of time as we age, and begin to feel a sense of urgency that we previously did not have.
vikorr

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:16 am
@existential potential,
Did you know that when you make your life happen, you start living in the moment? And your awareness increases?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 05:26 pm
Good thread.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:30 am
In a way renewing your mind can be the same as to change the world..
0 Replies