Net books...when just needing internet access on the go - is this something that would be good?

mismi

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 07:58 am
I am out and about a lot...I hate my phone for internet access...I want something smaller than a laptop - but bigger than my phone. Are the net books the way to go? Which ones are worth looking at? Do you have to buy internet access with them or does a router suffice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 780 • Replies: 2
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:08 am
@mismi,
mismi wrote:
I am out and about a lot...I hate my phone for internet access...I want something smaller than a laptop - but bigger than my phone. Are the net books the way to go? Which ones are worth looking at? Do you have to buy internet access with them or does a router suffice?

NetBooks are nice mini-computers. If that's what you need I think they are fine.

In order to get Internet access from "almost anywhere" you will need to subscribe to a 3G wireless network for decent speed.

For truly versatile and reliable Laptop/NetBook access on the fly with WiFi swapover where available, I prefer the MacBook's from Apple. I find them to be very reliable both in their hardware durability as well as their ability to connect quickly to available WiFi or 3G networks. You an also get them with solid state disk and extremely long battery life. I like the solid state disk because the machine never really has to be shut off, so it doesn't have to go through the reboot cycle on startup. You can leave it on all day in a low power mode and only shut it down at night.

Most laptops have a "suspend" mode which turns off the lights and slows down the system, but I've had trouble waking everything up from "suspend" on some occasions so I don't trust it as much as I should.
mismi

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:53 pm
@rosborne979,
Thank you Rosborne...this is good. I just thought it would be nice to have for internet access only. Wouldn't need any programs on it - I would just be using it to access e-mail and facebook to check on relatives and messages when away from home.
0 Replies