Deleting a thread

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:00 pm
Just wondering how Delete a thread (my thread)

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:32 pm
@a3a27988,
You're able to delete a single post for a short while, but not an entire thread. The Delete button is in green above, next to the Edit button.

They are both only available for a limited time.
a3a27988

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:12 pm
@Reyn,
Thank you for answering my post. I can't seem to find the Delete button is in green above, next to the Edit button. Could you send me a link.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:06 pm
@a3a27988,
a3a27988 wrote:
Thank you for answering my post. I can't seem to find the Delete button is in green above, next to the Edit button. Could you send me a link.

Reyn wrote:

They are both only available for a limited time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:31 pm
@a3a27988,
Since this is the only thread you've started, I'm curious as to why you want to delete one. Surely, you didn't start a thread just to delete it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:48 pm
@roger,
More curious is this recurring false notion that we own what has been contributed, and have the right to delete our posts. A2K owns all content, we are unpaid contributors.
BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:45 am
@hawkeye10,
A2K owns all content, we are unpaid contributors.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you claiming that we surrender all copyrights claims to A2K for our works we had posted here?

So for example if we posted some poems here, they that would become the property of A2K and they could public a book of such Poems and A2K could collect the benefit of so dong and we could not?

Somehow as a non-lawyer, I question that is likely the current law concerning the matter.

It is my understanding when we post/publish here we are in effect granting a license for A2K to used our works on the A2K website but in no other way are we surrendering our copyright.

Is there a lawyer in the house?
BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:27 am
@hawkeye10,
The following is A2K position on the subject and once more as a non-lawyer I question the legal weight of the last clause concerning a surrendering of a moral right and some of the claims seem to be normal over reaching that once more I question if a court would go along with completely. Not that it is at all likely that any of our postings will end up before a copyright judge.

Case law in this matter would be interesting to know about and of course copyright in this digit age is badly in need of an update that take into account the rights of all stakeholders not just the big commerce ones that Congress always seem to bend over backward to benefit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You understand that all Content posted on, transmitted through, or linked from the Service, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. The Content of the service consists of all materials published therein (including but not limited to postings, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, and sounds). The service and its content are intended for your personal, non-commercial use only. able2know is not liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in the service or its content, or for any damages arising therefrom.

B. The service and its content are protected by copyright pursuant to American and international copyright laws. The content is owned or controlled by able2know or the party which created the content. You are the copyright holder of all content created by you and posted on the service. You agree not to modify, publish, transmit, reproduce, create new works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit the service (including software) or any content not authored by you except as explicitly provided in Section II.C. of this Agreement. Some content in the service may contain additional copyright notices or restrictions and you agree to abide by them.

C. You may download or copy the content and other downloadable items displayed on the Service for personal use only, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained therein. Copying or storing of any content for other than personal use is expressly prohibited without the prior written permission from able2know, or the copyright holder identified in the copyright notice contained in the content. You may create or add to a topic subject to the rules in Section III of this Agreement.

D. You agree that any content created by you and published on the Service may be copied, edited, removed, reused, modified, published, transmitted and displayed in all media by able2know, the service's Affiliate Partners and their successors, assigns and licensees, and you hereby grant to those entities the perpetual right to do so. In addition, you waive any moral rights you may have in with respect to the content being altered or attributed in a manner not agreeable to you.

0 Replies

a3a27988

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:49 am
Thank you for your replies, your all so kind! You've answered all my question.

To answer Rogers questions: What I'm concerned with is the misuse of what I've posted.

And thank you hawkeye10 and BillRM for your relies.

Your freind Mike
Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:30 am
@a3a27988,
Mike, generally the rule is, if someone has replied quickly on a post, the Edit and Delete buttons disappear very quickly.

Otherwise, both buttons do stay visible for several minutes (don't know exactly how long), giving you enough time to Edit / Delete.

The important thing to remember is that both functions do not stay active all the time.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:09 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Are you claiming that we surrender all copyrights claims to A2K for our works we had posted here?

He's just trying to stir up animosity towards the site, it's one of his crusades to make him feel like a man apart. I suspect most people here would pay to be free of his "contributions" but his preferred delusion is that he's providing a public service that we fail to compensate him for. I don't think it's a notion worth trying to disabuse him of but he's not technically correct about the copyright claim.

Your take on the content rights on able2know is correct but here's the low down on rights, deletion, editing etc in case it's not clear to anyone else:

1) Allowing deletion and editing of posts causes a huge amount of extra work for site staff. One simple example is that if we allowed editing with no time limit, we'd have to review every post on the site periodically to ensure that spam is not being inserted in old posts. Right now, with a time limit we just have to review new posts. But if we removed that limit the spammers could make seemingly innocuous posts and then edit in links once they think nobody is reading the posts anymore. There are a lot of other ways editing and deleting can be abused but this is one of the simplest examples.

2) We do not own the copyright to member submissions here. We do not want to own it as each post made here is the poster's responsibility. At the same time, we have had regular members get upset at something on the site and then insist we remove all their posts. This is something we do not have the time to do, and that would make a lot of threads (and posts by other users) nonsensical if allowed.

The thinking is that once something is posted and others have replied to it, it affects the posts of other users. There is no simple way to remove the content after the fact (what if others quoted it?) and for that reason the editing is limited, we will generally not delete posts for you (don't make them if you aren't comfortable with them staying online) and our terms of service grant us a perpetual license to use the posts (this clause was added to avoid the situation where a disgruntled member decides they want us to delete tens of thousands of posts for them out of spite and has already saved us from a lot of that work). It is not an exclusive right, we don't want to restrict members from using their work elsewhere but we do want to prevent people from playing games with us through copyright claims.

So if you post a poem here, we aren't going to prevent you from selling it or using it yourself, but we also are not going to delete it if you change your mind about it being posted. You own the rights to your works, but posting it here gives us a perpetual (so that we don't have to honor removal requests ) license to it as well as the right to modify it (e.g. a spammer can't require that we restore a removed link, which is pretty much the only modification we make to content in practice) as we see fit.

So in short, we reserve the right to display content submitted to us and to censor/alter it and claim enough rights to do so and nothing more.
High Seas

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The legal case you describe as applying to A2K sounds very similar to intellectual property as it applies to correspondence: letters (not of a professionally confidential nature) addressed to me belong to me and I'm free to publish them or forward them, but the intellectual property (copyright) remains with the author, ie I cannot claim to have written them.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 05:55 pm
@High Seas,
Ownership=control. If this were my website I would be in control of everything that I wrote here, and could delete or change it at any time. At a2k I have no control over what happens to what I write because a2k owns what I write after I push the send button. So far as copy write goes there may be some limits to what a2k could do with what I write, but I am pretty sure that RG could take my posts and publish them in a book and there would be nothing that I could do about it, nor would he need to pay me anything.

The stuff about the difficulty of deletion is sand being thrown in your face, because if I owned the content that I submitted and demanded that it be removed RG would need to make it happen, no matter how inconvenient the process and no matter what the removal did to the rest of the content.

RG is saying that he does not have ownership, and yet by his actions (not allowing changes or removal at the will of the author) he is clearly demonstrating ownership. Is claims of non ownership of content are thus invalid.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Y'know, I never fully realized just how much of a pain in the ass you can be sometimes, hawk.
djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:06 pm
@Merry Andrew,
eye opening ain't it
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well hawkeye, that sounds just awful. Why then do you continue to put up with the brazen theft of your content? You should really screw me over and not post here anymore or something. I'm pretty sure that'll teach me my lesson.
BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well hawkeye, that sounds just awful. Why then do you continue to put up with the brazen theft of your content? You should really screw me over and not post here anymore or something. I'm pretty sure that'll teach me my lesson.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL and I mean LOL...........
0 Replies