Who else loves "The Conversation"?

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:00 am
I love this film! I haven't seen it for ages, though - it is Gene Hackman, I think - what an actor!

Who else has seen it? What do you think?

I will find something on it to spur your memories.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,123 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:04 am
Here we go - blurb from Amazon:

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential video
Bleak and mysterious, Francis Ford Coppola's taut masterpiece about responsibility, privacy, alienation, and paranoia is part Hitchcockian thriller, part grim character study. Hackman plays Harry Caul, a guarded wreck of a human being whose profession as the world's greatest surveillance expert has detached him from everyday reality. Though a topnotch voyeur, amorally earning his living by bugging other people's conversations and selling the tapes to clients, Caul keeps his own life fiercely private. He has no friends, just associates in the wiretapping business, all of whom he distrusts; his love life consists of apathetic sex with what could be any woman; his apartment contains three locks but few possessions. His indifference to life extends to his attitude about his job: though he's a wiretapping genius, he accepts no responsibility for what harm his work might produce--it's merely work ... until now.
While on his latest assignment, Caul breaks his own code and becomes immersed in the latest conversation he's taped. While piecing together fragments of a lunchtime conversation (Coppola dazzles us with his repeated fetish for technology here), something stirs Caul and he begins projecting his own misery onto the discussion. He finally discerns that some evil plot may occur because of his work and is forced into the moral dilemma of whether to turn in the tapes.

Ultimately, Coppola's cynical, complex script doesn't just condemn Caul for his foolish discovery of his own conscience; it shatters him into a million pieces, during an unforgettable final image. Allusions to Watergate are impossible to ignore, and the movie is still one of the most devastating, important films in '70s American cinema. --Dave McCoy --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:27 pm
I really belive it is Coppola's best film, even over "The Godfather." It has more insight into the central character and has a more profound message which is delivered raw and unadulterated by affectations.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 03:54 pm
It is a very raw and immediate film indeed. Hackman is perfect.
It is one of the films that stays forever in my head - as a sort of presence.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:02 pm
This is a film I definitely want to see, particularly after seeing Enemy of the State, which seems to have a bit of an homage going on, to The Coversation.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:08 pm
You are right, Jesp.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:29 am
I too loved "The Conversation".
Hummed that bob bob robbin for weeks afterwards.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:15 am
Thanks for the tip, Dlowan. I'm a big fan of Hackman and, surprisingly, I've never heard of this movie.

I'll check it out.

(This makes us even for American Splendor)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:17 am
YES a great film
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:05 am
Beside Poppa Doyle in "The French Connection," "The Conversation" is Hackman's best performance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
LOL! it does indeed, Gus.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 06:20 am
Ah, saw this for the first time last night. Had the plot figured out, more or less, by the middle, but it was still a fascinating film. Hackman is, as always, a marvel.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:45 am
I love this film.Coppola gives it a kind of a "European" film feel.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:24 am
It has movie relatives like "Blow Out" with John Travolta and that was primarilly inspired by Michelangelo Antonioni's "Blow Up."
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:19 pm
I don't want to be different just for the sake of it but I found this film to be the most boring ever. I've tried to watch it about four times and within half an hour I'm asleep.

You know what they say--- Horses for courses, wouldn't do for us all to like the same things.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
I hear ya, Don1 -- it is tough going to get through but it's payoff is well worth it. However, not a film I would return to again and again. The same thing can be said for many great films like "Woman In the Dunes." Some films are slow and methodical in their cinematic design. If one isn't willing to give it a chance or partakes in a bit too much libation while watching movies, they won't get turned on by these films.
0 Replies