Ideas for securing an aluminum casement window

roger

Mon 17 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
@sozobe,
Most homes in that part of New Mexico use evaporative coolers. It works because of the usually low humidity, but you've got to have some windows open to exhaust what is being pumped in by the coolers. It's easier to see than explain.
Butrflynet

Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:25 am
It is a problem in the summer when the cooler is not on at night and the house is shut up tight with no air circulation. It is also a problem in the colder months (I arrived here soon enough to experience it for two months) when she has the heat turned up to 75+. I closed off the vent in my room but it still is like a blast furnace when the heat comes on. I've since reopened it to get the air from the cooler during the day.

So, during the summer we're saving money by not turning on the cooler at night, but it doesn't cool the house down enough for comfortable sleeping. I usually get up at dawn long enough to put the dogs outside and open some windows so the house cools off enough to let us not have to turn the cooler back on again until around 2 pm. Then, I go back to sleep for a few more hours and it is the most comfortable sleeping temperature of the day for me.

With her severe arthritis, it isn't possible for her to be comfortable at cooler temperatures and the weight of extra blankets is painful for her. Easiest solution is to just make my small room comfortable by having a secure open window at night and leave the rest of the house comfortable for her.

With her dogs still doing their business in the house frequently, the fresh air is also needed.

Yes, it is a double-pane window.

Because of the swamp cooler, I keep my bathroom window open all day and night because it is high enough and small enough that someone would have a tough time coming through it unless they were a small kid. Reason you have to keep a window open with a swamp cooler is because the humidity and air pressure build up in the house and it needs an exit.
roger

Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:41 am
@Butrflynet,
I see. Really, though, I don't see any problem with moisture, seals, or anything else involved in drilling into aluminum. Just be sure to get the right size drill bit.

By the way, the cost of running an evaporative cooler is almost negligible, especially compared to heating a house in the winter.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs179.snc1/6760_245161925213_748555213_8432921_3851328_n.jpg

I went to Home Depot and got some locks similar to the one in the above photo for track windows. It seems to be doing the job. I think last night was the best night of sleep I've gotten since being here.
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:23 am
@roger,
Are whole house fans common in that area, it's Albuquerque, isn't it? What are the summer night time temps like?
Butrflynet

Fri 21 Aug, 2009 03:15 pm
@JTT,
Our swamp cooler has a whole house fan integrated with it as part of the HVAC system. Each time the seasons change, someone has to go up on the roof and switch over the systems to/from heating/cooling. Most of the houses in this area also have that as well as ceiling fans in the individual rooms.

When I want to cool off after doing something strenuous, I just stand in front of the window that is cracked open for circulation. The airflow out the window is better than a portable box fan set on high.

If you shut all the windows your ears soon notice the difference in air pressure.
0 Replies